ADVERTISEMENT

John Beilein taking the Cleveland Cavs job

Wow. I’m actually shocked at this. Thinking he might regret it.
Nah.this is his last stop. He’s cashing in his chips and will try to win a championship. If not, he walks away a very wealthy man. This is icing on his retirement. Damn good coach as well.

Reactions: dkostus
Brazdekis and Matthews may stay in the draft and could have made this decision much easier. Plus butting heads with Tom Izzo 2 to 3 times a year, with little success, probably helped him make the move.

Little success? This year was rough, but all three games were battles.

Head to head, Izzo won 14 matchups between the two coaches and Beilein won nine. But if you take out the first three years, when Beilein was still getting his program established, the two were nearly even. From 2011-19, Izzo won 10 matchups and Beilein won nine.

As great a job as Pike is doing I think Michigan fans would have a fit if they hired him. They probably want a guy with a track record of winning at a high level.

Reactions: RUJMM78 and shields
First, OKC would have to give Michigan permission to even talk to Billy. I'm not sure that would happen. Even if they did I'd still have a hard time seeing him at Michigan. However, they are a Nike school (Jordan Brand actually) so that would help them with Billy much more than some of the other programs that were reportedly interested in him in recent years.

I'm keeping my eye on Thad Matta tho.

Just curious, why would Michigan need permission to talk to Donovan?

Brad Stevens to Michigan...
Can see Brad Stevens as well if he’s had his fill of the nba.
Beilein reached out to Stevens last year about coaching in the NBA and Stevens told Beilein how good it was coaching in the NBA, less stress, etc. Also, the Celtics have no incentive to let Michigan even talk to Stevens, let alone, release him from his current contract to take a college job

Nah.this is his last stop. He’s cashing in his chips and will try to win a championship. If not, he walks away a very wealthy man. This is icing on his retirement. Damn good coach as well.

Interesting that he would agree to take the job prior to tonight's draft lottery.

I would assume he would want to see
if they are getting the #1 pick before agreeing - i.e. Zion.

Makes me think you may be right.

Interesting that he would agree to take the job prior to tonight's draft lottery.

I would assume he would want to see
if they are getting the #1 pick before agreeing - i.e. Zion.

Makes me think you may be right.

Really think the guy is tired of recruiting, is 66 years old, and had an opportunity to take on one more challenge and make a lot of money in a less stressful situation. I think that makes more sense than a conspiracy theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcg88
Less stressful ?

82 games not counting Exhibition Games and Rookie League.

In 40 of them you're looking at getting run out of the Arena----and at best it's a 3-4 year turnaround.

Why a 66 year old guy takes that job is about as puzzling as why would you hire him ?

Beilein reached out to Stevens last year about coaching in the NBA and Stevens told Beilein how good it was coaching in the NBA, less stress, etc. Also, the Celtics have no incentive to let Michigan even talk to Stevens, let alone, release him from his current contract to take a college job

If you sign an employment contract in the U.S. you generally don't need to be "released" in order to take another job. Forcing someone to work for you when they don't want to was outlawed when slavery was made illegal.

So? Do you think that every NCAA team that poaches another team's coach gets permission from that school first?
I don't know about one NCAA team trying to hire another NCAA coach. Their contracts seem to revolve around buyouts. For example: As long as school A gets its buyout money school B can hire their coach.

I'm told that it is different in the professional leagues. If you want to interview a NBA or NFL coach, for example, you need to contact that franchise and request permission to talk with that coach.

If you sign an employment contract in the U.S. you generally don't need to be "released" in order to take another job. Forcing someone to work for you when they don't want to was outlawed when slavery was made illegal.
IIRC slaves were not getting paid millions of dollars per season to work on Masa's plantation but thanks for the comparison.

Reactions: Igniteshield
I don't know about one NCAA team trying to hire another NCAA coach. Their contracts seem to revolve around buyouts. For example: As long as school A gets its buyout money school B can hire their coach.

I'm told that it is different in the professional leagues. If you want to interview a NBA or NFL coach, for example, you need to contact that franchise and request permission to talk with that coach.

IIRC slaves were not getting paid millions of dollars per season to work on Masa's plantation but thanks for the comparison.

Nick saban and Bobby petrino come to mind...if UM and Donovan want to do a deal. OKC has no leverage, nor would they exercise it if the could

My understanding (could be wrong) was that NFL (not sure about rest of the pro leagues) coaches could always “interview up” without approval:

Position coach to coordinator
Coordinator to HC

Maybe the new team has to contact the old team as a courtesy, but the old team doesn’t have to “approve”.

I don't follow closely enough the NBA or NFL to know whether they have internal rules for other teams in the same league hiring coaches away. But that would not apply to NCAA schools even if they do.

In the U.S., you can't force someone to work at a job, regardless of whether you pay them $10 or $10 billion. I wasn't making a comparison but stating a rule.

I personally think that if Michigan ends up with anyone from the NBA it is going to be Juwan Howard, but it's not going to be because they were contractually prohibited from speaking or offering the job to anyone else.

In the U.S., you can't force someone to work at a job, regardless of whether you pay them $10 or $10 billion. I wasn't making a comparison but stating a rule.
Every contract has language in it on how each party can terminate the contract (at least every contract I signed did). You want to get out of your contract and go work somewhere else? That's fine, follow the terms of the contract and you'll be able to leave.

Don't follow the terms of the contract and you're likely to end up in court for breach of contract.

So if a coach wants to quit and pay his own buyout have at it. I've yet to see a coach do that but it's an option.

Most employers wouldn't want to keep an employee that wants to be somewhere else anyway so it would all work itself out.

Less stressful ?

In 40 of them you're looking at getting run out of the Arena----and at best it's a 3-4 year turnaround.

Why a 66 year old guy takes that job is about as puzzling as why would you hire him ?
Some , even when thought to old to change, are still up to taking a challenge and most successful coaches have that drive no matter what their age.
Also with the current state of College MBB being under scrutiny and possible changes made to the system, Beilein might just have decided the time was right to leave the college game and take the the type of challenge coaching in the pro game provided.

Less stressful ?

1.Zero recruiting and "courting" teenagers.
You literally only have to worry about coaching your basketball team.
Also, its the top league in the world with the best talent and coaches.
Same reason Schiano went NFL.

2. As to why hire him - Cavs are going to rebuilding so you want a coach who can work with young guys.
A ton of NBA rebuilds stall because of the wrong coach/players mix.

Would assume he'll he super knowledgable for the draft this year and next also.

Their 4-star guard (ranked #50) just decommitted, likely heading to Kansas.

We should absolutely be able to beat this team at home next year.

1.Zero recruiting and "courting" teenagers.
You literally only have to worry about coaching your basketball team.
Also, its the top league in the world with the best talent and coaches.
Same reason Schiano went NFL.

2. As to why hire him - Cavs are going to rebuilding so you want a coach who can work with young guys.
A ton of NBA rebuilds stall because of the wrong coach/players mix.

Would assume he'll he super knowledgable for the draft this year and next also.

Oh Really ?

Go in depth and describe to me what the process is in FREE AGENCY in pro sports.

I think you'll find it's exactly the same as recruiting-----------except harder.

Fewer guys and Agents are allowed to participate.

Then there's selling Cleveland-----not exactly a destination spot for young athletes. Not a knock on it as it isn't a bad town by any means but it lacks allure.

As to the Draft-----he can know as much as he wants to know about college players but his draft position dictates who he can get.

Oh Really ?

Go in depth and describe to me what the process is in FREE AGENCY in pro sports.

I think you'll find it's exactly the same as recruiting-----------except harder.

Fewer guys and Agents are allowed to participate.

Then there's selling Cleveland-----not exactly a destination spot for young athletes. Not a knock on it as it isn't a bad town by any means but it lacks allure.

As to the Draft-----he can know as much as he wants to know about college players but his draft position dictates who he can get.

Recruiting certainly exists in pro sports, but it's much different than college. When it's free agency time, there are teams dedicated to it. If the coach plays a good style and is personable, that's enough. It's all the stuff around it that's more important, none of which falls on the head coach.

Their 4-star guard (ranked #50) just decommitted, likely heading to Kansas.

We should absolutely be able to beat this team at home next year.

I saw a prediction that one of their other recruits was probably flipping to Washington or somewhere else.

Recruiting certainly exists in pro sports, but it's much different than college. When it's free agency time, there are teams dedicated to it. If the coach plays a good style and is personable, that's enough. It's all the stuff around it that's more important, none of which falls on the head coach.

??????

My understanding is that Michigan and Billy Donovan spoke. During the call Billy recommended that they hire Shaka Smart.

My understanding is that Michigan and Billy Donovan spoke. During the call Billy recommended that they hire Shaka Smart.

That's funny because Yaklich just interviewed with Smart for a job at Texas.

good chance it is former fab 5 player Juwan Howard
I. Would. LOVE. That. Please make it happen.

I mean Jay Williams, Chris Webber, Reggie Miller and Jalen Rose have come out in support of Howard.

Waiting on Jimmy King and Ray Jackson to chime in.

Michigan was 9-14 vs MSU during Beilein's tenure. Those are the reference points, since head to head matchups are what both fanbases point to.

Well sure, but you said Beilein had "little success" against Izzo. He took over a program that hadn't sniffed the tourney in a decade while Izzo was king of the CBB world. Give him a few years to right the ship and he spent nearly a decade essentially dead even with him.

In the last 9 seasons, Beilein was 9-10 vs Izzo. Both teams reached 2 Final Fours (though Michigan with more title game appearances), both teams with 5 Sweet 16s. MSU had 3 conference titles vs 2 for Michigan. MSU had 4 conference tourney titles to 2 for Michigan. Michigan won 19 NCAA tourney games vs 17 for MSU.

Hard to get much more even than that.

Your point would be better made saying Beilein struggled for his first few years against MSU and then played them even.

Well sure, but you said Beilein had "little success" against Izzo. He took over a program that hadn't sniffed the tourney in a decade while Izzo was king of the CBB world. Give him a few years to right the ship and he spent nearly a decade essentially dead even with him.

In the last 9 seasons, Beilein was 9-10 vs Izzo. Both teams reached 2 Final Fours (though Michigan with more title game appearances), both teams with 5 Sweet 16s. MSU had 3 conference titles vs 2 for Michigan. MSU had 4 conference tourney titles to 2 for Michigan. Michigan won 19 NCAA tourney games vs 17 for MSU.

Hard to get much more even than that.

Your point would be better made saying Beilein struggled for his first few years against MSU and then played them even.

OK, who else does Michigan under Beilien have a losing record against in the B1G??

OR

He was more than likely looking at an 0-2 or 0-3 this coming season vs Sparty. Which in your equation was still 9-12 or 9-13

OK, who else does Michigan under Beilien have a losing record against in the B1G??

OR

He was more than likely looking at an 0-2 or 0-3 this coming season vs Sparty. Which in your equation was still 9-12 or 9-13

so now you are counting future unplayed games for Izzo as a knock against Beilein? Are you Izzo's agent or his mom?

(also Beilein's record vs Wisconsin was far worse than against MSU)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT