ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson & Johnson signs partnership/sponsorship with MLS/US Soccer

Originally posted by knights1212:

J & J should have the RAC named after themselves. J & J has been in New Brunswick forever and so has Rutgers. They have an awful lot of money and should be supporting RU athletics before supporting a soccer league. I think J & J really dropped the ball on this decision. Hopefully they will step up for RU. We really need someone to step up for RU basketball. Maybe J & J will realize how much this would mean for RU.
Written by someone who really doesn't understand what they are writing.

* J&J is a sponsor of Rutgers athletics.
* J&J signed on to be an MSL sponsor, which means they'll have ads in the soccer stadium, just like they do at Rutgers Stadium and the RAC.
* J&J has a lot of money, but it is their choice what they do with it. Part of what they do with it is buy sponsorships. Sponsorships are not donations, they are purchases. The sponsorships that J&J has purchased from Rutgers and MSL are specifically advertising purchases. J&J also has research sponsorships at Rutgers, in which J&J pays Rutgers to conduct research on J&J's behalf.
* Donations are different than sponsorships. A donation is a charitable gift. J&J donates a boatload of money to Rutgers, separate from the sponsorships.

As far as purchasing naming rights to the RAC or Stadium, as I have mentioned several times, I do not expect to see any pharmaceutical company purchase naming rights to any arena or stadium anywhere. The political climate around pharmaceutical companies is such that a pharmaceutical company would not spend millions of dollars to put their name on a building. To do so would open themselves up to so much criticism of wasting money and needlessly driving up the cost of healthcare, that the move would be counterproductive. Even if you could easily justify buying naming rights, the criticism would still be there. And the purchase of naming rights would then become the poster child of pharmaceutical company waste, and would resurface every time there is a discussion of why health care costs are out of control.

Originally posted by Upstream:

Originally posted by knights1212:

J & J should have the RAC named after themselves. J & J has been in New Brunswick forever and so has Rutgers. They have an awful lot of money and should be supporting RU athletics before supporting a soccer league. I think J & J really dropped the ball on this decision. Hopefully they will step up for RU. We really need someone to step up for RU basketball. Maybe J & J will realize how much this would mean for RU.
Written by someone who really doesn't understand what they are writing.

* J&J is a sponsor of Rutgers athletics.
* J&J signed on to be an MSL sponsor, which means they'll have ads in the soccer stadium, just like they do at Rutgers Stadium and the RAC.
* J&J has a lot of money, but it is their choice what they do with it. Part of what they do with it is buy sponsorships. Sponsorships are not donations, they are purchases. The sponsorships that J&J has purchased from Rutgers and MSL are specifically advertising purchases. J&J also has research sponsorships at Rutgers, in which J&J pays Rutgers to conduct research on J&J's behalf.
* Donations are different than sponsorships. A donation is a charitable gift. J&J donates a boatload of money to Rutgers, separate from the sponsorships.

As far as purchasing naming rights to the RAC or Stadium, as I have mentioned several times, I do not expect to see any pharmaceutical company purchase naming rights to any arena or stadium anywhere. The political climate around pharmaceutical companies is such that a pharmaceutical company would not spend millions of dollars to put their name on a building. To do so would open themselves up to so much criticism of wasting money and needlessly driving up the cost of healthcare, that the move would be counterproductive. Even if you could easily justify buying naming rights, the criticism would still be there. And the purchase of naming rights would then become the poster child of pharmaceutical company waste, and would resurface every time there is a discussion of why health care costs are out of control.
as opposed to the Advertising expense for all those constant commercials pushing their products...I know, i know...those are to create awareness for the poor ill stricken...

You're right though. More likely to sponsor a new wing at RWJ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT