ADVERTISEMENT

Our Best Game of the Year, So Far - Nice to See Simpson/Davis/Fernandez Play Well...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
While G-town isn't a very good team they do have a lot of talented athletic players (several 4 stars, at least out of HS), so it was really nice to see us win this one convincingly with the key run being early in the 2nd half when we went from up 38-32 at halftime to being up 54-36, after which the game was effectively over with our lead never going below 11 points.

Really enjoyed watching our swarming defense during that stretch led by Fernandez, who was all over the floor and hit some big shots - so nice to see him finally get untracked. And loved seeing J-Mike's great first half and Simpson's excellent overall game tonight. These three have really struggled most of the year (except maybe Simpson's 2nd half against Bryant), so to see what they're capable of is heartening, as the trio scored almost half of our points (34 of 71), played some inspired defense, and cumulatively had 8 assists and 6 TOs, but also 6 steals.

Hyatt also had a very good game with 12/7, while Cliff did struggle again, but still got 8/6/4 blocks and Wolf played ok with 5/4. Gavin didn't play great (especially on defense), but he still had 12 points with two nice dunks on 5-9 shooting (but inexplicably was 0-3 on FTs). Concerned with the rebounding still (40-29 against us), but loved the TO margin in our favor (21-10), including 9 steals for us, demonstrating how good the D was.

I will say I thought we'd see Mag by now based on reports of how well his rehab has gone - I hope there hasn't been a setback that we're not aware of. Assuming he is contributing fully by the end of December and assuming our guard play continues to improve, we'll win our share of games. Fun team to watch when we're clicking, but obviously still a work in progress, as getting teams to gel can take some time. Nice crowd tonight.

Good to beat a name team - agree 100%

Thought with Wolf, Cliff, and Hyatt on the floor we’d dominate the glass.

Looks like we are shifting focus to a guard oriented team - which works if we can run but we are used to Cliff being the center (😉) of the offense.

Need Mag back to cover for GG’s defensive deficiencies but need GG on the court for his scoring. He is going to be very good. Needs S&C.

I don’t expect much from Mag this year. Hope I’m wrong.

We’re not a good rebounding team. Our press better be ready to go for the B1G schedule because we’re going to get killed on the glass.

Reactions: thegock
Good summary. We are a team that can play very fast but we have to be careful to not play frantic. This is where we need to see leadership up to know when to play fast, but also to know when to settle the team down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT