ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Cohen - 6’10” PF from UMass enters portal

I know it's hard not to get caught up in the portal, especially with the window opening today, but I have to imagine the guys who are gonna take us where we want to go next year are not entering on the very first day.

Think we need to be patient here and trust that we're working things out behind the scenes. The fact Simpson entered on the very first day is very encouraging to me.

Can’t have your big getting played off the floor in the Big Ten

Look at Dainja on Illinois. Offensive stud but there’s games when he barely sees floor time

Reactions: cicero grimes
He’s not just a below the rim player, he’s a below the backboard player. Nice drop step but otherwise the tape is full of awkward looking shots.

He is a guy who can score. But he is not going to rebound much. He’s not going to be a great defender. He’s not going to block shots. I’d love to have him as your number two Center but that would be pretty greedy I guess.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
If this is the guy we took. We would for sure need to add a big forward, who can help him on the boards. The goal is to surround Ace and Dylan with help. Having Ace be our best rebounder, is not helping him. We have to get this thing right

Last edited:
He had 30 and 9 against Miami last season, plus a couple of 40 pt games. He's not a total stiff. There may be something there.

Reactions: motel00
He is a guy who can score. But he is not going to rebound much. He’s not going to be a great defender. He’s not going to block shots. I’d love to have him as your number two Center but that would be pretty greedy I guess.
Same here, like some of his game and would like him as a backup but not a guy to rely on in the Big Ten for 28 minutes a game. He could split the job with Somerville but I feel like rebounding and rim protection would be a problem for those two. If you have enough athletes on the floor this can work (See Illinois as Ty Rodgers, Hawkins, Shannon and Dumask all rebounded the ball) but that is an extreme example and not the norm. Hoping they bring in a center who is advanced beyond Cliff’s offensive skills (not way advanced, just better than Cliff), but can also rebound and protect the rim, maybe not as good as Cliff but not a huge drop off from Cliff.

When we look at potential portal targets …you have to ask yourself these questions for fit

1.) can the guy be asked to guard multiple positions on the court if he is playing 1-4?

2.) if he is exclusively a 5, can he really be agile and quick footed enough to chase to the three point line and recover back to help on the.boards ? Can he be nimble enough to play ober the screens he is helping on and recover back in Pike’s rotation defense

Then on offense …for the other pieces we have
1.) is he only a low post ,
Back to the basket scorer or can he
-pick and pop and catch and shoot off of screen
And roll axrion
-if he catches the ball off sxreen and roll action , can he fake and put the ball on the floor and get to the rim and make a move in the paint to score . Or is he limited once he gets the ball off of sxreen and roll action
-what is his shooting range
-can he shoot foul shors

Of course , not every prospect checks all of the boxes perfectly and sone parts of gsmes are more developed than others

But if there is a complete part of the game listed above thsrs missing, that limits the player to really being a 10-12 minute a game support roll player off the bench and not someone you want in your top 7-8 if your going to be successful

We had a lot of these types last year , and it really showed on the floor

No idea on what it Means to Josh cohen…but keep the above in mind when we look at portal targets and how they might fit with Dylan, ace, Gavin , Jwill and Latham….

Last edited:
Not even a rumor, a sniff, of any interest on his part or Rutgers. But by all means let's dissect his game and for the most part crap all over it. Looking forward to the next 2,000 names in the portal.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Not even a rumor, a sniff, of any interest on his part or Rutgers. But by all means let's dissect his game and for the most part crap all over it. Looking forward to the next 2,000 names in the portal.
Actually Richie is hyping him in a podcast.

In his Junior year highlights video on YouTube he looks VERY awkward whenever he jumps. His legs fly out to the side. I can't see him being successful in the B1G.

Reactions: Unionst
Some fans think Rutgers has the cache to cherry pick the best players in the transfer portal.Reality is that any center Rutgers gets will have some flaws.Scoring and rebounding are needed.Perhaps,a protype power forward will answer some of the problems with front court scoring and rebounding.Cohen surely would be better than this seasons backup centers and equal to Cliff on offense.

Not sure who the anti-Cohen crowd expects RU to pickup and how much they really know about him, but ESPN has Cohen as their 6th best transfer of the 450 players who entered the portal yesterday. For comparison, Dug McDaniel is 1, Darlinstone Dubar is 8, Jevon Porter is 9, and Amari Williams is in the group of next best after top 10.

He was first team all-A10, so that's not bad. He visited Penn State last year before transferring to UMass, and had at least some interest from Iowa and Florida. Josh would bring a totally different offensive approach at the 5 than Cliff. Defensively, sure that'd be a huge drop-off. But that will be true with almost anyone. I think he'd be a good get.

Some fans think Rutgers has the cache to cherry pick the best players in the transfer portal.Reality is that any center Rutgers gets will have some flaws.Scoring and rebounding are needed.Perhaps,a protype power forward will answer some of the problems with front court scoring and rebounding.Cohen surely would be better than this seasons backup centers and equal to Cliff on offense.
Most years we don’t have the cache. Dylan and Ace change the equation for next year.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Most years we don’t have the cache. Dylan and Ace change the equation for next year.
Also, I suspect that our big NIL donors know this is our go for broke year and might step up. The current pool of donors might not have the cash to support this large of a salary/NIL pool every year. But for one year they might.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT