ADVERTISEMENT

Juawan Harris

wonder how Ash will view his dual baseball/football agreement ...?

Reactions: joyw
Saw "Juanaw" and thought "Jawan" Jamison

He was great. Wish he was in a position to finish out his career here and then move on.

(sorry to hijack the thread)

He's here, he's having fun and at least we know he can run. Might be a Rutgers version of Bo Jackson. Besides is spring practice really that important for a running back other than learning the offense. You either know how to hit the hole or not. Often it's a natural instinct. And besides any offensive playbook learning can be done during the summer or in part in between bb game days if needed.

He is playing baseball, so I guess he is ok with it.
Ash stayed he would honor the deal that was made under Flood (dual sports). But you get the sense that he won't make a habit of those deals in the future

Ash stayed he would honor the deal that was made under Flood (dual sports). But you get the sense that he won't make a habit of those deals in the future

You are probably correct, but it depends how good is the player.

My son and I follow RU baseball (and most of the teams for that matter) closely. We met Harris at the RU-Miami baseball series last year when he was a HS senior. Very nice young man. His speed, together with his apparent ability to get on base, is a game changer. Not only is it tough to throw him out stealing, but when he's up he'll get stuff to hit since pitchers know if they walk him and no one's in front of him on base, it's, in effect, a double. Great addition to both teams.

If he is good and performs on the football field, it should not matter.
His name is spelled JAWUAN Harrris.

Last year, he was on MLB Draft radar:
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...cruit-jawuan-harris-mlb-draft-radar/27568043/
The fleet-footed center fielder, who plays wide receiver in the fall, hit .440 with three home runs, 18 RBI and a Broward County-best 44 stolen bases.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...is-shifts-rutgers-football-baseball/79890358/
Article with Ash saying he could do both.

WE NEED RECIEVERS...if he was getting draft looks in baseball allready then im surprised hes still playing football.

Reactions: LC-88
If he is good and performs on the football field, it should not matter.
His name is spelled JAWUAN Harrris.

Last year, he was on MLB Draft radar:
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...cruit-jawuan-harris-mlb-draft-radar/27568043/
The fleet-footed center fielder, who plays wide receiver in the fall, hit .440 with three home runs, 18 RBI and a Broward County-best 44 stolen bases.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...is-shifts-rutgers-football-baseball/79890358/
Article with Ash saying he could do both.

14 posts later, and somebody finally spells his name correctly. Ge'ez.

yup, remember reading this..

"(Ash) said right away he's going to honor what got him here to Rutgers, what Coach Flood promised him and what we discussed going forward,'' Litterio said. "He's been good every step of the way. It hasn't been an issue. He's not doing anything with football (now), but he's talking with the staff. Coach Ash has been great with it.''

Said Harris of his new football coach: "He is (comfortable) as long as I can make meetings that are mandatory and keep my grades up as well.''

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/jawuan_harris_rutgers_football_baseball.html

Awesome. Sounds like EY but maybe better. Good for him.

Holy crap let's bring the reigns in a little, okay? EY was a freakin' major league All-Star for crying out loud. This kid had a great - GREAT game - the other day but against Lafayette. Let's see how his entire season goes, then how he looks in the fall, before making such crazy statements okay? I mean I'm all "in" if so, don't get me wrong, but damn man that's a lot to ask for! [thumb2][thumb2][thumb2]

Hey Zap said we needed to show more love so I paid the kid a compliment Nuts. I was a huge EY fan in both sports and don't remember him going 4 for 4 with 4 stolen bases his first year. Maybe I missed something.

At no time did I say he would have a better professional career than EY so you can throw out whatever you where thinking there. I am just saying he is a 2 sport athlete, plays WR like EY did, and I hope he does well. I hope he does much better than EY for RU. I am not pulling back any reigns. It's what I want.

Hey Zap said we needed to show more love so I paid the kid a compliment Nuts. I was a huge EY fan in both sports and don't remember him going 4 for 4 with 4 stolen bases his first year. Maybe I missed something.

At no time did I say he would have a better professional career than EY so you can throw out whatever you where thinking there. I am just saying he is a 2 sport athlete, plays WR like EY did, and I hope he does well. I hope he does much better than EY for RU. I am not pulling back any reigns. It's what I want.

You flat-out said "sounds like EY, but maybe better..."....that's a HUGE statement to make about a kid who is in the 1st 7 games of just 1 of the 2 sports he's gonna play. That's all I'm saying. Just let it play out and - HOPEFULLY - he becomes half the collegiate athlete that EY was which would be fantastic. Anything else? "butta'," as they say!

Anyway, not arguing with you, just a little stunned to see that written, that's all.

Eric young....I can see Harris being that type of player in our offense under ash

We need a second player to go with grant to make plays in space...desperately

Seems like this kid is going to be a solid two-sport player .
I usually like our football players to be 90% football focused , 10 % academic focused (so they can stay eligible and graduate if they are interested in that ). I am good with this kid being 70% football, 25% baseball and 5 % academics .
I think he's going to be a solid contributor for us in the fall . Remember he played at a big time high school program . I think he will be a good one.

Seems like this kid is going to be a solid two-sport player .
I usually like our football players to be 90% football focused , 10 % academic focused (so they can stay eligible and graduate if they are interested in that ). I am good with this kid being 70% football, 25% baseball and 5 % academics .
I think he's going to be a solid contributor for us in the fall . Remember he played at a big time high school program . I think he will be a good one.

5% academics? - FYI, Jawuan Harris may be the smartest kid on the team. He probably could stay qualified spending 5% of his time on academics, but he is bright enough to know that college is primarily about academics and a career once his playing days are over, whether that be baseball or football.

5% academics? - FYI, Jawuan Harris may be the smartest kid on the team. He probably could stay qualified spending 5% of his time on academics, but he is bright enough to know that college is primarily about academics and a career once his playing days are over, whether that be baseball or football.

That's awesome that he may be the smartest kid on the team.

Once a young baseball player starts college, how many years before he can enter the draft? Thanks.
you don't have to declare for or enter the mlb draft like you do for football. he is elibible to be selected again in the june mlb draft after his jr yr or 21st birthday

WE NEED RECIEVERS...if he was getting draft looks in baseball allready then im surprised hes still playing football.

Rule is you can enter MLB draft when you graduate high school. Once you enter college you have to wait until you complete your junior year or turn 21. So most likely he is here at least 2 more years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT