ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Planet of the Apes

The original is 1 of the greatest movies i've ever seen. The ending was so powerful when seeing the upper part of the Statue of Liberty in the sand....
I feel the same way. All-time great, especially that scene. I will never forget seeing that for the first time, and how it slowly (to me) became clear what Taylor was looking at.

The plot is far from tight. If it were made in the modern day, they'd have had to explain things like why there seems to be only one ape city with a very small number of apes (with no indication that there are other cities or other apes), why they speak English, the jarringly uneven advances in their own technology, and a gazillion other things. It's never very clear why they go out and hunt humans, except that the plot needs this to happen. Not sure why the architecture had to be similar to that of Bedrock on the Flintstones.

But still, a great movie in my opinion...

ETA: after re-reading, I apologize for sounding like a "know-it-all"...

Last edited:
Btw, many believe most of the original Planet of the Apes movie took place in what would have been NJ.

Where they crashed could have been Central Jersey.
a lot of the first one was shot in Malibu state park, where Mash was shot. The iconic Statue of Liberty scene was shot at point dume also in Malibu.

I feel the same way. All-time great, especially that scene. I will never forget seeing that for the first time, and how it slowly (to me) became clear what Taylor was looking at.

The plot is far from tight. If it were made in the modern day, they'd have had to explain things like why there seems to be only one ape city with a very small number of apes (with no indication that there are other cities or other apes), why they speak English, the jarringly uneven advances in their own technology, and a gazillion other things. It's never very clear why they go out and hunt humans, except that the plot needs this to happen. Not sure why the architecture had to be similar to that of Bedrock on the Flintstones.

But still, a great movie in my opinion...

ETA: after re-reading, I apologize for sounding like a "know-it-all"...

I saw a screening of Casablanca where one of the screenwriters (Howard Koch ) spoke for an hour before the film. He described a lot of stuff they made-up on the fly. They were filming without even knowing how the story would end. Things called 'letters of transit" didn't really exist.

Sometimes the loosey-goosey liberty taking helps with a story. A lot of PC gamers are now complaining that games are looking too realistic and its taking some of the magic away

I saw a screening of Casablanca where one of the screenwriters (Howard Koch ) spoke for an hour before the film. He described a lot of stuff they made-up on the fly. They were filming without even knowing how the story would end. Things called 'letters of transit" didn't really exist.

Sometimes the loosey-goosey liberty taking helps with a story. A lot of PC gamers are now complaining that games are looking too realistic and its taking some of the magic away
Very interesting, thank you...

Ok I saw the movie. Way too long not enough action and I wish that the ending of the movie was actually where the movie started.

I just watched the second one in the original series… “Beneath the Planet of the Apes”

Wow what a heaping pile of garbage. Really struggled to finish it

Will give the third a try “escape….” As someone above said it was the best one.

I just watched the second one in the original series… “Beneath the Planet of the Apes”

Wow what a heaping pile of garbage. Really struggled to finish it

Will give the third a try “escape….” As someone above said it was the best one.
Look at it the way I mentioned above…

- Stand alone, not bad
- As a continuation of the series, also not bad
- As a commentary/message of when it was made and a possible future, pretty good

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT