ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Planet of the Apes

Ronnie_B

All American
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2011
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes came out yesterday, first film of the second trilogy. Looks great.

Can't wait to see it, been an Ape nut since I was 8 years old when my dad took me to a double feature at East Brunswick drive-in, first movie was the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and the second movie was Battle. I was hooked.

Through out my childhood from then on the Planet of the Apes week on Channel 7 at 4:30pm was a major event for me.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes came out yesterday, first film of the second trilogy. Looks great.

Can't wait to see it, been an Ape nut since I was 8 years old when my dad took me to a double feature at East Brunswick drive-in, first movie was the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and the second movie was Battle. I was hooked.

Through out my childhood from then on the Planet of the Apes week on Channel 7 at 4:30pm was a major event for me.
Saw a Planet of the Apes marathon (5 or 6?) at the old Plainfield Edison indoor/outdoor back in the ‘70s

planet-of-the-apes-charlton-heston.gif

Reactions: 4IUSox2
The original Charleton Heston Planet of the Apes is one of my favorites, but the rest don't measure up. Pierre Boulle wrote both The Bridge on the River Kwai and Planet of the Apes.

Le Pont de la rivière Kwaï was based on his very real war experiences. Boulle joined the French army in Indochina at the start of WWII. He joined the Free French Mission in Singapore. Boulle served as a secret agent under the name Peter John Rule and helped the resistance movement in China, Burma, and French Indochina. In 1943, he was captured by Vichy France loyalists on the Mekong River and was subjected to severe hardship and forced labour. He was later made a chevalier of the Légion d'Honneur and decorated with the Croix de Guerre and the Médaille de la Résistance.

The original Charleton Heston Planet of the Apes is one of my favorites, but the rest don't measure up. Pierre Boulle wrote both The Bridge on the River Kwai and Planet of the Apes.

Le Pont de la rivière Kwaï was based on his very real war experiences. Boulle joined the French army in Indochina at the start of WWII. He joined the Free French Mission in Singapore. Boulle served as a secret agent under the name Peter John Rule and helped the resistance movement in China, Burma, and French Indochina. In 1943, he was captured by Vichy France loyalists on the Mekong River and was subjected to severe hardship and forced labour. He was later made a chevalier of the Légion d'Honneur and decorated with the Croix de Guerre and the Médaille de la Résistance.
The first is a classic, the rest were not up to the par but I still love them.

Escape might have been the best after the first one.

How many Ape movies can you make? Are the new ones reboots or sequels?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
How many Ape movies can you make? Are the new ones reboots or sequels?
It's a reboot. In Rise there is a mention of a space crew in exploration before the pandemic hit and whiped out most of mankind, the theory is in this second trilogy, which takes place 300 years after War, they will return to Earth to a planet controlled by apes, just like Taylor and the crew did in the original.

The Burton remake in 2001 should have never been made, it wasn't all bad but it was not properly planned out.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The first is a classic, the rest were not up to the par but I still love them.

Escape might have been the best after the first one.
Glad you mentioned this.

As just a movie, it was pretty good.

As part of the series, same.

As a “message or commentary” of what was going on at the time or could in a possible future, not bad. 👍👍

We bought the Blu-ray box set of the original when it was first available. My boys, who were much younger at the time, were mesmerized by it. Probably like all of us were whether you were lucky enough to see it in the theater or the 4:30 Movie on Channel 7.

They were scared/spooked by the music used during the Forbidden Zone scenes. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138
Watched the original from the back of my parents car at the Drive in in Paramus. Still love it. Is so funny my wife and I love Sci Fi but are so different in our tastes. I love all things Planet and thought V the Movie and weekly show was fantastic. She loves Star Wars, Star Trek and Harry Potter.

Reactions: newell138
Saw original at Somerville drive in - one of my early dates with my future wife. Don’t think I have seen any of the others

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Saw the original Planet of the Apes at the old Cort Theater on Main Street in Somerville across from the courthouse. Movies were 77 cents or double feature for 99 cents. LOL Actually my owner saw it. I wasn't born yet.

I was telling someone I saw Dreyfuss in Goodbye Girl at Somerville theater. Could not remember where it was. So thank you.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good name for our secondary
The whole Defense can have “Imperial March” when they come on the field but if one of those guys do something (INT, big hit, corner/safety sack, pick 6, etc.) play that haunting “Forbidden Zone” piece.

Reactions: zappaa

Does it make sense to watch a previous Apes movie before this one or does this one stand alone?

Does it make sense to watch a previous Apes movie before this one or does this one stand alone?
Good question, I mean you could read up on what happened in the first trilogy but if you want to go on a marathon to watch them it would be worth it, their all wildly acclaimed and highly rated on IMDB.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Btw, many believe most of the original Planet of the Apes movie took place in what would have been NJ.

Where they crashed could have been Central Jersey.
Maybe we should have "Forbidden Zone" underneath "Birthplace."

The three most recent movies are good enough to watch to catch up how everything came to be in that universe. I’m not sure if it’s related to the Charleston Heston movies or the Mark Walhberg movie. A lot time has passed in between the first movie (John Franco/ John Lithgow), middle movie (Gary Oldham), and third movie (Woody Harrleson) that you probably won’t be sorry to watch all three movies to catch up to the one that just came out, which I heard it’s 300 years after the Harrleson movie.

If all of this makes sense: good.
I apologize for this gibberish.

Good question, I mean you could read up on what happened in the first trilogy but if you want to go on a marathon to watch them it would be worth it, their all wildly acclaimed and highly rated on IMDB.
Yeah.

There are some fundamental and stark differences from the Heston movies, despite the similar names.

Spoilers below.

In those, Armageddon nearly wrecked earth, and apes became dominant in the distant future. In the new ones, the story begins in current times, with the pharmaceutical industry accidentally creating a rival society of intelligent apes during a time of turmoil...

Agree, way better than the Star Wars series IMO. Btw, "Monster week" on the 4:30 movie was epic, 5 days of Godzilla and friends:)

My younger Son said there are some Easter eggs in this new one that pay homage to the original series.

Last edited:
this thread is very timely.

ads for the new movie prompted me to watch the whole (modern) series on Hulu. good stuff.

over the weekend I started watching the old series.

watched the first one yesterday and am about 20 minutes into the second one.

dont think I ever watched the first one in its entirety ---- so friggin' corny but entertaining.

C. Heston HAS has to be worst actor in the history of cinema. he's ridiculous. really.

he's kinda like William Shatner - not really an actor acting a part - seems he's just playing himself? I dont know what he's doing - but if you can get past the schtick its enjoyable in the ridiculousness of it. just so over-acted. ridiculous is the only word that comes to mind. "it's a madhouse!!!!" and the scene at the end on the beach....I literally laughed out loud at his reaction. but its entertaining. LOL.

ads for the new movie prompted me to watch the whole (modern) series on Hulu. good stuff.

dont think I ever watched the first one in its entirety ---- so friggin' corny but entertaining.

C. Heston HAS has to be worst actor in the history of cinema. he's ridiculous. really. he's kinda like William Shatner - not really an actor. but if you canb get past the schtick it enjoyable in the ridiculousness of it. just so over-acted. ridiculous is the only word that comes to mind. "it's a madhouse!!!!" and the scene at the end on the beach....I literally laughed out loud at his reaction. but it entertaining. LOL
charlton heston laughing GIF

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994

C. Heston HAS has to be worst actor in the history of cinema. he's ridiculous. really.

he's kinda like William Shatner - not really an actor acting a part - seems he's just playing himself? I dont know what he's doing - but if you can get past the schtick its enjoyable in the ridiculousness of it. just so over-acted. ridiculous is the only word that comes to mind. "it's a madhouse!!!!" and the scene at the end on the beach....I literally laughed out loud at his reaction. but its entertaining. LOL.
Ha ha. I'm not going to rag on anybody's acting chops, but we were laughing at how he pinched his nose closed when jumping out out of the sinking spaceship into the lake...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT