ADVERTISEMENT

Just a few short years, we went from All Hail Kyle Flood to Fire Kyle Flood

RuRahRah2010

All American
Nov 2, 2006
In 2012, Flood's first season, he went 9-4. When he went 7-0 to start the season, we thought he was our best coach ever. Then the Kent State massacre exposed him. Louisville was his chance to win the Big East, and he blew that game. I knew from the bowl game that season, Flood had to go. There was no reason we should have lost the way we did.
It all slid downhill since 2012. 2013 had some horrible losses. 2014, we had a good start, but the highlight was beating a bad Michigan team. 2015, I don't want to talk about it. Even the wins were not noteworthy. We shouldn't have been down 25 to Indiana.
Sadly, if Flood wins the last 3 games and goes to another bowl game, we will still have him another year, guaranteed.

Flood coached that season with all schiano players and possibly the best d we have ever had at this school. Now that schiano's players are gone except for this senior class we are starting to see a KF product on the field. Dont get me wrong we have some players but not nearly enough to compete.

Reactions: TheRacRU
never wanted him. but kept supporting. after the VT game i reduced my support. stopped going to the games last year. interest dwindling fast. time for change

A brief history:

Year 0: Completely unqualified failed O-line coach hits the lottery because he was just...there.
Year 1: Stacked team with GS's players, chokes away a great start as poor coaching began to truly infect the team.
Year 2: Bitch-slapped by the AAC.
Year 3: Head Coach Friedgen saves us from complete embarrassment.
Year 4: Garbage everything, on and off the field.

The end.

Truthfully, I thought Flood grossly underachieved in 2012 with the talent that was on that team and wanted him gone at the end of that season.

Since he wasn't canned, I felt he should be given a fair shot to show if he could grow into the job. At times he seemed as if he might be heading in that direction, yet at other times he still seemed like the job was simply beyond him.

Even so, the one thing he had going for him, (or I thought he had going for him), that won me over for a time was the "integrity" bit; always doing things the right way and knowing we had a head coach who always played it clean and by the book. -But "email-gate" took care of that illusion for me.

And now? Well, in 2015 the chickens have come home to roost in terms of KF's stubborn attitude and his complete inability to perform the job he lucked into at a high level. (Or even a mediocre one, for that matter.) -As such, my feelings about him are right back to where they were at the end of 2012, but even more so, since he's essentially taken everything that was in place back then and driven it directly into the ground.

Last edited:
A brief history:

Year 0: Completely unqualified failed O-line coach hits the lottery because he was just...there.
Year 1: Stacked team with GS's players, chokes away a great start as poor coaching began to truly infect the team.

The end.

I still remember you and I discussing the coaching change after dinner 4 years ago one spring night with our families in Princeton. We disagreed on the QB situation but both agreed on how the coaching situation would end up.

Reactions: S.B. Crumb
Many, many of us were very unhappy with his appointment from day one, and then did our research to see through the 9-4 record. The 7-0 start was exciting, and I think it probably got everyone. We truly wanted to believe we could be wrong about this guy (despite his experience) and we're a fanbase that wants to believe the best about someone.

Unfortunately, it was only even more disappointing in hindsight to see just how talented that 2012 semi-NFL squad really was.

Many, many of us were very unhappy with his appointment from day one, and then did our research to see through the 9-4 record. The 7-0 start was exciting, and I think it probably got everyone. We truly wanted to believe we could be wrong about this guy (despite his experience) and we're a fanbase that wants to believe the best about someone.

Unfortunately, it was only even more disappointing in hindsight to see just how talented that 2012 semi-NFL squad really was.

Its astonishing really...weakened big east, that talent level was very high...never was less done with more in RU history.

Reactions: rutgers4life11
There was never anything in past that suggested Flood was HC material - just the opposite. Horrible OL recruiting for the most part. Lethal OL and offense when Flood shared OC title. The FAMILY jerseys were a silly sign of Peter Principle at work

No one every died for Rutgers and no one ever said "All Hail Kyle Flood"

A brief history:

The end.
This might be the greatest summary of the situation I've yet seen. I totally agree with it (especially year 0). Good work.

I for one cringed when I learned of his appointment as head coach. It was all downhill after Kent State. That was all you needed to know about his fit for a head coaching job. It could only happen at Rutgers where the man who coached one of the worst OLs in the history of college football gets promoted to head coach just 2 years later.

At least nobody can ever say it's beneficial to retain a member of the coaching staff in order to try to salvage a recruiting class again. I think we've learned it's just not worth it. Hopefully, the people in charge realize this as well.

Yeah Kent St. and leaving the QB in after 3 and then 4 and then 5 and even 6 interceptions pretty much proved he is not competent.

If you don't pull him out after 3 you have to pull him after 4.

It's time to let him go.

At least nobody can ever say it's beneficial to retain a member of the coaching staff in order to try to salvage a recruiting class again. I think we've learned it's just not worth it. Hopefully, the people in charge realize this as well.

I have it on good authority from an objective personnel person that outside of Russo, Mack, Campbell and Sneed this class isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway. Certainly not worthy of keeping this coach.

the board was certainly not in agreement with Hail Flood and even when he was hired there was a vocal group including me told to fall in line and shut up when we questioned the hire. His support was always a strong core of fans who almost never criticize anything about Rutgers but even that eroded over time. A few fans including one vocal one still think he is the cats meow but its pretty clear that 90% of the fanbase want him out.

He was never qualified at this level and there are so many things you can pick out that scream lack of management skills. His email fiasco should have got him fired, it was embarrassing.

Flood is horrible coach but UL won that game because of a Robbery call
After RU completely shut down Klein they brought in a gimpy Bridgewater and used Klein to run in short yardage situations because Bridgewater couldn't.

Rutgers lost because the coaches were the only people in the stadium who didn't seem to realize that Louisville in the 2nd-4th qtrs was playing one QB who couldn't run and one that they were never going to let pass.

Me theory is that we are in semi-panic mode behind the scenes. Pretty sure that Rossi and McDaniels are shown the door regardless...so seriously, if that is the case...just get rid of everyone and start over...we are just postponing the inevitable

Reactions: BoogieKnight
The Miracle in Maryland also helped him big time, along with a nice win in the bowl against UNC. During that MD game, 98% of the fans wanted him gone but then when we came back to win due to Edsall being an even worse coach, people jumped back on board. The fact that the team didn't give up showed something, at least that was my thinking. I was a big supporter of him, but i'm done. He clearly isn't cut out for this and I think last year the only reason we had any success was in a big part due to Friedgen.

Me theory is that we are in semi-panic mode behind the scenes. Pretty sure that Rossi and McDaniels are shown the door regardless...so seriously, if that is the case...just get kid of everyone and start over...we are just postponing the inevitable

Yeah I can't see them scapegoating coordinators (again) to keep Flood in place. It makes zero sense. They all stay or they are all gone (IMO).

Bring in Joe Moglia.

Reactions: MikeRU09
Yeah I can't see them scapegoating coordinators (again) to keep Flood in place. It makes zero sense. They all stay or they are all gone (IMO).

Bring in Joe Moglia.

Yeah, and seriously, what good coordinator is going to come work for a dead man walking??? No one!!

At the time he was the last man standing, and I was happy only because he was able to keep what was a monster recruiting class together (very short term Rutgers thinking of me). I knew he was underqualified - he was our failed OL coach so I thought maybe he lasts a year at best. We didn't have the time to do a proper search, and I felt if we needed glue for a little bit, then I could live with it - never did I think he would last 4 - I guess I forgot what penny rich-dollar foolish university I support.

The Miracle in Maryland also helped him big time, along with a nice win in the bowl against UNC. During that MD game, 98% of the fans wanted him gone but then when we came back to win due to Edsall being an even worse coach, people jumped back on board. The fact that the team didn't give up showed something, at least that was my thinking. I was a big supporter of him, but i'm done. He clearly isn't cut out for this and I think last year the only reason we had any success was in a big part due to Friedgen.

I think a bigger part is due to Nova, and of course, Friedgen too.
The Maryland flip flop was comical. I remember long-winded posts by some saying how Flood earned another year based on the second half Maryland performance last year.
But the fickle nature of fabases and decision making will get what we have. Decisions should not be made on individual games, and certainly not on a half or a quarter of football.
Flood was never recognized as an X's and O's coach, and he needed/needs solid OCs and DCs to prop him up. He had an OC last year, and he has never had a DC. No, this is not an excuse for Flood. When faced with poor performance like we have seen on offense the last 4 games, some creativity and change is needed. We have seen none of either.

I pretty much felt the same way so don't feel like you're the only one. Schiano's abrupt departure really screwed us but we made it worse by being so short sighted.

A brief history:

The end.
Post of the year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT