ADVERTISEMENT

Karl Hobbs to Howard U. Rumor

A loss, but he was a HC before (10 years as George Washington's HC) and might want to get back to it.
Would be a loss, especially with Young just leaving , but with the way RU MBB is starting to look and the support its getting from Hobbs, replacements for both Hobbs and Young should be good ones.
I had expected Knight be the first to get a HC position, now he's probably the #1 assistant

Hobbs could really free things up for recruiting to take off and i know being a HC is always priority for all coaches.

Reactions: dkostus
Let's get crazy.
what do you think of having a recruiter like
Barry "Slice" Rohrssen brought in.
Or does Shoes fill RU's recruiter needs , like Slice would be doing, where he's at now on Pike's staff without taking up an assistant position.

what do you think of having a recruiter like
Barry "Slice" Rohrssen brought in.
Or does Shoes fill RU's recruiter needs , like Slice would be doing, where he's at now on Pike's staff without taking up an assistant position.

I mean, I have a feeling Slice hasn't worked as an assistant since 2016 for a while, but if Hobbs leaves, I think there's a chance to really "upgrade" the recruiting part of the staff.

I mean, I have a feeling Slice hasn't worked as an assistant since 2016 for a while, but if Hobbs leaves, I think there's a chance to really "upgrade" the recruiting part of the staff.
thanks, think Slice might just be out of coaching, but he was a great recruiter.
Don't know if he added much else or why Mullin let him go ( or if Barry just left on his own)

thanks, think Slice might just be out of coaching, but he was a great recruiter.
Don't know if he added much else or why Mullin let him go ( or if Barry just left on his own)
I think in all the SJU bull$hit it sounded like their admins ran him out of town without Mullin wanting it

Reactions: RU82

If I remember correctly, Slice was hired and he thought he'd be more than just a recruiter and would help advise and coach for Mullin. When that didn't happen, he left on his own.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Slice and Shoes...the All-Cool Nickname Coach Team.

No chance at Slice....he was one.of those Assistants in the $600k+ per year range. Like Book Richardson and Norm Roberts at Kansas.

Last edited:
My opinion is Hobbs is the weakest link on the staff and it would be very difficult for Pike to makena change given their relationship if possibly pressed to do so or if necessary to do so. In this manner, if Hobbs departs, it frees up a lot of money for a top assistant to bring on board such as a recruiting guru or an experienced top notch assistant and Pike doesn’t have to make a very difficult choice if pressed to do so. I don’t see Hobbs as having any strong recruiting prowess ability and or exceptional coaching talent and thus we can allocate his salary to say a recruiting guru or up and comer coach who can. In fact one thing that sort of surprised me at a court club meeting was Hobbs stating that he was designated the offensive coordinator “whatever that means”. I was stunned when he said “Whatever that means”? Very strange comment. Just an opinion and I’m sure others will think otherwise

Last edited:
Reactions: kcg88
My opinion is Hobbs is the weakest link on the staff and it would be very difficult for Pike to makena change given their relationship if possibly pressed to do so or if necessary to do so. In this manner, if Hobbs departs, it frees up a lot of money for a top assistant to bring on board such as a recruiting guru or an experienced top notch assistant and Pike doesn’t have to make a very difficult choice if pressed to do so. I don’t see Hobbs as having any strong recruiting prowess ability and or exceptional coaching talent and thus we can allocate his salary to say a recruiting guru or up and comer coach who can. In fact one thing that sort of surprised me at a court club meeting was Hobbs stating that he was designated the offensive coordinator “whatever that means”. I was stunned when he said “Whatever that means”? Very strange comment. Just an opinion and I’m sure others will think otherwise

I would love to run some more modern offensive sets than we do currently.

Not worried..the first time around we had no success to speak of. Pikiell has a LOT to offer an assistant this time around

Wish Karl all the success in the world, except against Rutgers, ASU & Loyola of Chicago

If this happens the amount of turnover on the staff could really be significant. Isn't Young thought to be taking our DOBO as an asst as well?

what are people worried about? Pikiell attracted our best assistant coaching staff in years when all he had to offer was a hope and a prayer and a lot of tough work ahead of him. He now has SI's #1 most improved team, a nearly ready-made tournament team next year oozing with talent, and a pretty decently bumped salary to offer the incoming assistants. This is going to be awesome.

Tough to turn down this kind of money....doubles his salary. Even if this is inflated and it's only 500 to $600K...that is still a B1G raise

Last edited:
I had feared this would happen after Pike’s first year, that we would get gold again but not quite make the NCAAs yet but good enough that our assistants would get hired away. I wish we could have at least made the tourney while Young was here. That said, these guys were here because of their relationship with Pike, not necessarily because of super strengths (although Young was of course a good Defence coach)... now that we’re on the map and legit again, Pike can hire real strong assistants that will help put us over the topZ

If this new figure is correct, how embarrassing for Zags. To report a figure that is soooooo off...wow...

Reactions: RutgHoops
Actually very good if two leave at once because it frees the head coach to coordinate one hire with
the other rather than incrementally.
The only bad part is filling the coaching positions might impact recruiting especially for the two scholarships for next season.

Even with a lower salary, Hobbs can still make a comparable amount of compensation to his current salary via basketball camps, and other promotional things that he can do as a HC. Plus I think he’s from the DC area.

Reactions: kcg88
I have heard from 2 places and nothing close to 200K (more like 3x that amount)....Hobbs would not have had a conversation at that low of a number and Howard could not have made an offer without him meeting or discussing the job.

If this new figure is correct, how embarrassing for Zags. To report a figure that is soooooo off...wow...
Maybe Hobbs is trying to get another raise and had his people leak the number..you never know

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT