ADVERTISEMENT

Kemoko Dragon Tees Are Designed...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
... and ready to go. Only problem is legal. You see it has his full name AND his likeness on the tee... Without his written consent. I'm no lawyer but I'm guessing the only way to pull it off then is to make the tshirts 100% free not-for-profit. So where does that leave me? It leaves me in need of someone to print the tees for free and, assuming people dig them (art is subjective), then we would need someone or someones to do a bulk order of plain scarlet tees and eat the cost. So yeah this might not work.

Side note- I will post the design when I get back up to my office. Also FYI neither the word Rutgers nor the R logo appear on this thing, so other than the fact that he is on the roster, there is no other tangible affiliation to the school.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm not a lawyer either, but I suspect that there is a strong possibility that you could be forcing him to choose between protecting his likeness and right to control intellectual property based on it, and maintaining his NCAA eligibility.

If you create the shirts without his consent (even if they're not-for-profit), I would guess you'd be potentially running afoul of intellectual property laws -- though I doubt you would be sued for it if you weren't making any money.

Right, so I guess the safe and really the only route for me to take is to get rid of his name and his face. Anyway, I will post it in about 20 minutes or so. Will be easier for people to discuss if they can actually see it. Not sure everyone's gonna dig it but I think some will.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hopefully the NCAA can get their sh*t together and allow these kids to collect on the sales and marketing of their likeness while in school and have funds banked in escrow until they get out.

GO RU

Originally posted by satnom:
Hopefully the NCAA can get their sh*t together and allow these kids to collect on the sales and marketing of their likeness while in school and have funds banked in escrow until they get out.

GO RU
This.

Side note, here's the design I came up with.
1IBCNsX

2015: Year Of The Dragon Tee...

Originally posted by DirtyRU:

GO RU
This.
Seconded!

Originally posted by M1stman:

GO RU
This.
Seconded!
Not saying it wouldn't be right but you guys realize it would make recruiting harder for all but the top schools in sales.

So all of those t-shirts worn by kentucky over the years, and there must be thousands of them, that say "I still hate Laettner" are illegal? I don't remember in the 30 for 30 him saying he gave his consent to print them.

Originally posted by knightfan7:

GO RU
This.
Seconded!
Not saying it wouldn't be right but you guys realize it would make recruiting harder for all but the top schools in sales.
I agree it would kill schools like Rutgers. They wouldn't be able to compete with the amount of money other schools could raise for a kid.

Originally posted by PSU_Nut:

Originally posted by knightfan7:

GO RU
This.
Seconded!
I agree it would kill schools like Rutgers. They wouldn't be able to compete with the amount of money other schools could raise for a kid.
Exactly. Would Nova shirts sell as well as Hackenberg? Hackenberg as well as Barrett?

Originally posted by JPhoboken:
So all of those t-shirts worn by kentucky over the years, and there must be thousands of them, that say "I still hate Laettner" are illegal? I don't remember in the 30 for 30 him saying he gave his consent to print them.
Yeah but the original t-shirts were from what, 92? 93? The "STILL Hate" one sI get, those are years newer and who knows if there was some kind of approval process with those. But re; the originals, it's now 2015. Attitude towards lawsuits and attitudes towards amateur athletes have changed significantly since back then.

I don't know though, maybe I'm overthinking this. Maybe it'd be fine. But I just don't know if I want to take the chance. And re: an illustration or silhouette, perhaps.

The fourth string QB at Alabama would probably get more licensing deals than all Rutgers players put together. Not sure why some folks cannot see beyond the obvious here.

Originally posted by TonyLieske:

The fourth string QB at Alabama would probably get more licensing deals than all Rutgers players put together. Not sure why some folks cannot see beyond the obvious here.
Because they want it which is always more important here.

Your example might be over the top but it should wake people up. Nothing would turn the 65 schools in the Power 5 to 30-35 at the most and RU wouldn't be one of them.

Originally posted by JERSEYROOTS:
Dirty, could you change his pic to a silhouette or more of an illustration/outline?
With his hair being recognizable, this would work. Similar to this Mats Zuccarello shirt.

zuuuuuc_large.jpg

I don't see how this isn't a perfect solution to your problem:

Lost the likeness, do an edit of an actual dragon in KT's uni.

Done. Sell the shit out of 'em.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

I was thinking the same thing - use a dragon image. Everyone who knows Rutgers Football will know what it means.

You definitely can't have his name or face. Nickname is fine. Are you allowed to use his number?

Hey, the theme song for this t-shirt could be Draggin' The Line by Tommy James.

Wow. I wonder how poor little Rutgers in the middle of sparsely populated NJ/NY with it's small student body and tiny alumni base will be able to get folks to buy school apparel if the football is competing and God forbid winning in one of the most visible football conferences in the country with a media center the size of the world.

Give it a break. Rutgers is already in the top 60 ranking in university licensing deals per IMG. Take a look at some of the schools ahead on the list. It's just a matter of time people. Rutgers just needs to win in football to push this thing forward. All athletic teams and players at RU will benefit.

GO RU

RU Already In The Game

Couldn't you sell them at cost and eliminate any issues? As long as you don't profit? Maybe send him one for free when he graduates

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
Originally posted by RU4Real:

I was thinking the same thing - use a dragon image. Everyone who knows Rutgers Football will know what it means.
Put his hair doo on a dragon image.

Wow. I wonder how poor little Rutgers in the middle of sparsely populated NJ/NY with it's small student body and tiny alumni base will be able to get folks to buy school apparel if the football is competing and God forbid winning in one of the most visible football conferences in the country with a media center the size of the world.

Give it a break. Rutgers is already in the top 60 ranking in university licensing deals per IMG. Take a look at some of the schools ahead on the list. It's just a matter of time people. Rutgers just needs to win in football to push this thing forward. All athletic teams and players at RU will benefit.

GO RU
And if you think RU would be anywhere near the Alabama's, Nebraska's, Ohio State's, ND's and Texas's of the world you're out of your cotton pickin mind.

That's five programs. 4 of which are the identity of their states. Rutgers as the identity of NJ is far fetched. No "All for One" mentality in NJ. There are too many self interests here. The revenue and historical success from football have built the identity of these schools. Rutgers wins and the inherent qualities of the institution and area become more apparent.

GO RU

I LOVE your Dragon. May I infringe just a bit with this suggestion? Have that great dragon standing up on a 50-60 degree angle ,with his right arm or left ,if that was the one used to block the field goal,poised to knock down a football placed inches away.
Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:
Hey Dirty... nice.. but if you promise a DRAGON.. nerdy me wants to see a DRAGON

If this shit happens print them in kids sizes too! What boy doesnt want a Rutgers shirt with a dragon on it!??!

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:
Hey Dirty... nice.. but if you promise a DRAGON.. nerdy me wants to see a DRAGON!

ec

Just a silly thought, but wouldn't a Chinese zodiac dragon fit the "year of the dragon" theme better than a Welsh one?

Since, as far as I know, Turay has neither Chinese nor Welsh roots.

I like the concept.

And the ideas to get around the issues too:

1. Use a dragon (even a image of a Komodo one would work IMO)
2. Put a flattop/fade on the dragon's head
3. Have the dragon blocking a kick

DONE/

Folks,

Thanks, I will process all the art direction/feedback. One thing I am NOT looking to do though is cheese it up so I need to take that into consideration. Also, of course I already considered a dragon, and I still might work one in, but if it will be any dragon, it will be a Komodo Dragon or something that resembles more of a lizard.. NOT a traditional dragon like a Chinese one.

With that said, I DO already have a subtle nod to the Komodo Dragon... that's his tail protruding out on the extended bottom portion of the "g" on the front of the tee.
wink.r191677.gif

As for legal, right now I'm leaning towards the "safe" route of just ditching his name altogether... and ditching the illustration of him. "Maybe" I work the high fade top in somewhere tho... that's vague enough since it won't have his face.

This post was edited on 3/28 10:28 PM by DirtyRU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT