ADVERTISEMENT

Kemoko Turay Videos

aroost

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2016
Fanwood< NJ
Judge for yourself if he's having a good year or giving good effort. These are against the top 2 teams so far on our schedule.

I see someone who is showing much better football instincts setting edge and dropping back in zone. Never thought I would say that about him.

He's very active and around the QB. Had a sack and a couple hurries against Ohio State, and we all know he had a very good game against Washington.

What he seems to lack is the strength and or desire to bull rush, including RBs who pick him up. He should be destroying them; that's why I think it's something he hasn't become comfortable doing. Maybe a little too 'nice', passive.

Against the bigger tackles, he struggles at times to get off their blocks if they gain a good center of gravity against him.

To be an elite rush end, he will need to develop an inside move, like a rip move. He's currently a speed outside rusher who can get pushed too far behind the QB if the pocket doesn't collapse.

But there are definitely some skills to work with, and he has shown good promise. He's just never become the 10+ sack guy we expected. Maybe in a weaker conference, but not against this schedule.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Some people here have bashed Turay here this season. But it seems like he's doing a pretty good job. Seems like he's doing what the coaches are asking him to do, which isn't the traditional rush the QB or hold the edge thing other DEs do.

He's involved in a lot of QB hurries and has some sacks. And as the season has progressed, he's gotten better about knowing when to drop into coverage (he got burned on this earlier in the year). And he often gets involved in, or at least is near, tackles that occur downfield. So he's working hard and not giving up on plays, for the most part.

Some people here have bashed Turay here this season. But it seems like he's doing a pretty good job. Seems like he's doing what the coaches are asking him to do, which isn't the traditional rush the QB or hold the edge thing other DEs do.

He's involved in a lot of QB hurries and has some sacks. And as the season has progressed, he's gotten better about knowing when to drop into coverage (he got burned on this earlier in the year). And he often gets involved in, or at least is near, tackles that occur downfield. So he's working hard and not giving up on plays, for the most part.
Turay has 33 total tackles and 1.5 sacks
Rashan Gary (only a sophomore, but a starter) has 29 tackles and 2 sacks.
Nick Bosa (who some say is better than his brother has 18 tackles and 4 sacks.

Turay is in good company.

Turay has 33 total tackles and 1.5 sacks
Rashan Gary (only a sophomore, but a starter) has 29 tackles and 2 sacks.
Nick Bosa (who some say is better than his brother has 18 tackles and 4 sacks.

Turay is in good company.
It will be interesting to see if he can get to the next level. He seems a bit small for a DL and too big for a LB. But he's a hell of an athlete.

If he had a partner in crime, he'd be doing some serious eating.
I wonder if the RU S&C people are keeping him lean knowing that they were going to need help at the LB level this season? Because otherwise, I'd think they would be practically force-feeding him.

Some guys simply won't lift hard. It's not in their nature. I'm not saying this is Turay but it could be a factor.

Oh, by eating I meant his production would be up. Sorry!
Took it as a response to my post just above. Don't I feel stupid. :)

O lines are paying a lot of attention to Turay, he often draws double-teams taking the load off the others. So yeah, if we had more like him (maybe a bit heavier), we'd be doing some damage to QBs.

Turay is having a solid season. Off-season banter always leads to one or two players being over-hyped. He could barely lift his arms last season yet people were predicting all-conference this season.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Some guys simply won't lift hard. It's not in their nature. I'm not saying this is Turay but it could be a factor.
Lifting hard can make him bigger, and can ramp up his appetite a lot. Eating can put more weight on faster than lifting though. I'm very curious as to why he remains so lean. Is it diet, metabolism, by design or accident?

Judge for yourself if he's having a good year or giving good effort. These are against the top 2 teams so far on our schedule.

I see someone who is showing much better football instincts setting edge and dropping back in zone. Never thought I would say that about him.

He's very active and around the QB. Had a sack and a couple hurries against Ohio State, and we all know he had a very good game against Washington.

What he seems to lack is the strength and or desire to bull rush, including RBs who pick him up. He should be destroying them; that's why I think it's something he hasn't become comfortable doing. Maybe a little too 'nice', passive.

Against the bigger tackles, he struggles at times to get off their blocks if they gain a good center of gravity against him.

To be an elite rush end, he will need to develop an inside move, like a rip move. He's currently a speed outside rusher who can get pushed too far behind the QB if the pocket doesn't collapse.

But there are definitely some skills to work with, and he has shown good promise. He's just never become the 10+ sack guy we expected. Maybe in a weaker conference, but not against this schedule.

I think he is having a big effect this year. Your point about playing in a weaker conference may be right. He got to the QB 3 times Saturday, but he did not bring him down once. He still forced him to scramble and throw early several times. He gets his hands up in passing lanes too. Most of those dropped passes Saturday were on the high side. If they were delivered lower, there is a better likelyhood that they would have been caught. I'm not say Turay forced all of those high throws, but he played his part.

As far as NOT getting QB's on the ground when he gets to them, he has had that problem all year. Is that a hand strength issue? How many guys wiff that much when they get their hands on someone?

Lifting hard can make him bigger, and can ramp up his appetite a lot. Eating can put more weight on faster than lifting though. I'm very curious as to why he remains so lean. Is it diet, metabolism, by design or accident?

Good question. When Turay was a pup he reminded me of JPP, who went into the NFL at 6'5" 270 lbs. Turay is 6'5" 252 lbs. After going to a dedicated pre-combine camp Turay could probably get to 262 lbs. Basically, the same frame. Turay will have a shot at the next level although I would like to see him dominate more over the next 5 games.

I've noticed he has a better football mind now than in the past. When he was a freshman, of course, he just blasted past tackles and RBs and got to the QB, but once there was film on him and he got injured it changed his ability to get to the QB. This year is the first time I've seen him be patient and stay with his assignment. As much as I want to see him get to the QB or RB, he's set the edge on a number of plays, forced the RB inside and the LB made the tackle. He's also dropped back into coverage quite a bit, and moves around the line a lot, too. Other teams have adjusted for him depending on where he sets up, and rarely leave just one guy to block him. Some of the blindside blockers have been good and kept him at bay, so if he gets a bigger repertoire of moves to the inside he could do some damage. I think someone is going to take a chance on him at the next level and perhaps at least put him on their practice squad. I just hope his shoulder is healed or that it heals.

Reactions: aroost and mildone
Good question. When Turay was a pup he reminded me of JPP, who went into the NFL at 6'5" 270 lbs. Turay is 6'5" 252 lbs. After going to a dedicated pre-combine camp Turay could probably get to 262 lbs. Basically, the same frame. Turay will have a shot at the next level although I would like to see him dominate more over the next 5 games.
I'm not sure what his role will be in the game this Saturday. It will depend, I guess, on what Michigan decides to do.

If they run a lot, then Turay will wind up setting the edge and forcing the run inside most of the time (as we see him do several times on the linked videos). Seems to me to make more sense running towards Turay than away from him (where he can run down the backside of the O line and tackle runners from behind.

The Michigan staff is good - they're going to exploit any bad habits they see with Turay (and the others) on film. Like getting him to bite on a QB rush then dumping the ball to a RB in a screen or other backfield pass.

I think Turay's ability to shine in the next game is compromised by our need to help out our LBs. But we'll see.

Rashon Gary is 6’5 and 295?... he looks thin to me ... Kemoko with a more time to do nothing but lose ft and eat can put on 20-25 in a 6 month time frame... attempting to put on good lean muscle and weight is not going to work during the active season... unless your me.

Shows zero spin move,,,,easily blocked by OT and pushed beyond pocket. No rip move to inside. Really need him used on a stunt up middle. Not sure why he was unblockable during Summer camp not seeing it on field. Stunting Turay would play to his speed....and shorter distance to QB. Failure by our staff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT