ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Willard: colorful rant “Dont delay college hoops season”

Lets be clear (for all the chest pounders out there) we could win and we could lose at SHU this year. But we ain't winning by 20. No way, no how. This reminds me of Bannons first year. We beat SHU 81-49 and our dumb fans mouth off about how we've passed SHU by and how were gonna sweep them. And of course we lost the game there. So easy to predict.
It was just one dumb game last year where everything went our way. Could easily flip this year. Don't be arrogant.

Shoe is gonna be boned by plummeting enrollment if they can't have in-person classes. Willard knows this and wants that quick 1.6 spot before the implosion.

Vegas did the same thing last year when we wrote we could beat Seton Hall. not winning by 20.

Listen I am the first to tell you that most of these guys are not real students and big time college basketball and football is minor leagues for the nba and nfl. But you can’t have school sports if there is no school. That is basically waving the white flag on this charade of night time athletics . Cmon . Willard is ridiculous

Premature victory laps are in vogue these days. Regardless, hope Pike and the team have the opportunity to showcase their talents this upcoming season.

Lets be clear (for all the chest pounders out there) we could win and we could lose at SHU this year. But we ain't winning by 20. No way, no how. This reminds me of Bannons first year. We beat SHU 81-49 and our dumb fans mouth off about how we've passed SHU by and how were gonna sweep them. And of course we lost the game there. So easy to predict.
It was just one dumb game last year where everything went our way. Could easily flip this year. Don't be arrogant.

I was at the RAC that night which was in the Top 10 of miserable SHU moments for me. I'm over that because time heals all wounds except the 1989 NCCA Final. LOL

Listen I am the first to tell you that most of these guys are not real students and big time college basketball and football is minor leagues for the nba and nfl. But you can’t have school sports if there is no school. That is basically waving the white flag on this charade of night time athletics . Cmon . Willard is ridiculous
Well to be fair there won’t be no school. It will be virtual. Much easier to isolate 13 b-ball players and let them play. I actually don’t see why this couldn’t be done. The issue is getting them to isolate for three months. In theory though it should be possible.

Well to be fair there won’t be no school. It will be virtual. Much easier to isolate 13 b-ball players and let them play. I actually don’t see why this couldn’t be done. The issue is getting them to isolate for three months. In theory though it should be possible.

Why should they have to come and isolate ? And the rest of the students can stay home ?
I am sure many players would want to, isolate and play , but some won’t want to. These are not professional athletes. It’s school sports . Seems like a very tricky road to go down for colleges.

That isn't true at all----obviously I can only speak for my own university from a personal standpoint but when I see the excellent academic record this years Rutgers Hoop Team compiled how can you make the statement that these guys aren't real students ?

Are their players who have going to the pros as their priority ?

Obviously yes but that's on the guy not on the school.

There isn't a major college athletic program that doesn't have the resources made available to the athlete------any athlete------to succeed academically and network yourself for a successful career .

Whether they choose to take advantage of these resources is on them.

That isn't true at all----obviously I can only speak for my own university from a personal standpoint but when I see the excellent academic record this years Rutgers Hoop Team compiled how can you make the statement that these guys aren't real students ?

Are their players who have going to the pros as their priority ?

Obviously yes but that's on the guy not on the school.

There isn't a major college athletic program that doesn't have the resources made available to the athlete------any athlete------to succeed academically and network yourself for a successful career .

Whether they choose to take advantage of these resources is on them.

I wasn’t speaking program specific. Never saw a coach get hired or contract extended because the team had a good GPA

Reactions: silkcitypirate
No I'm a grad------Class of 68-----VL's in 66 , 67 and 68.

Rice was the only Prop 48 we ever took. If you ever met him you would know why they took a chance on him.

Great guy and highly successful career in Medical Products Sales.

Every player at ND who has stayed for 4 years in the last 10 years has graduated.

Not many can make that claim.

No I'm a grad------Class of 68-----VL's in 66 , 67 and 68.

Rice was the only Prop 48 we ever took. If you ever met him you would know why they took a chance on him.

Great guy and highly successful career in Medical Products Sales.

Every player at ND who has stayed for 4 years in the last 10 years has graduated.

Not many can make that claim.

Holtz took a chance on him because he was a great quarterback , one of the best ever in Notre dame history. But he never should have been admitted there with what a 690 SAT score . How hard are the Notre dame classes that this guy was able to graduate and play high level football ?? Both parties got what they wanted out of the arrangement . Notre dame a national title and as you say rice has been successful in life .
I am sure as you know Notre dame has struggled with the whole football/academic thing. To the Irish credit they do have higher standards than many other schools and historically make their kids take real classes. I believe it was urban Meyer that didn’t take the Notre dame job because the school wouldn’t give him assurances about looking the other way on academics at times.

We will all be dead by winter according to most of this board so no point in discussing this OP. How do you get reception while hiding under your bed?
RU85FLA said we will all die. Said the death rate was a hundred x worse than originally reported.

Holtz took a chance on him because he was a great quarterback , one of the best ever in Notre dame history. But he never should have been admitted there with what a 690 SAT score . How hard are the Notre dame classes that this guy was able to graduate and play high level football ?? Both parties got what they wanted out of the arrangement . Notre dame a national title and as you say rice has been successful in life .
I am sure as you know Notre dame has struggled with the whole football/academic thing. To the Irish credit they do have higher standards than many other schools and historically make their kids take real classes. I believe it was urban Meyer that didn’t take the Notre dame job because the school wouldn’t give him assurances about looking the other way on academics at times.

Yes----34 years ago they took a chance on a kid who had excellent grades and bad test scores . That was their right. In the world of today Tony Rice would have had SAT Prep Classes in HS and been fine. But HS's in South Carolina back in that day were way behind the curve in terms of college preparation especially for African American kids. Holtz fought like hell for him and the Admin agreed with him once they met him.

As to the classes he took and how hard they were I couldn't comment I wasn't there. But the Notre Dame I attended was vastly different from the Notre Dame of today . The Notre Dame I attended was a work farm----no women---no frats---no cars. Half the Faculty hated football players. You had fun but you had to manufacture it.

ND is much harder today academically . It isn't the classes it's the competition in the classes . The average SAT score of incoming students is around 1500 . That's a mile higher than when I attended. Prior to the Pandemic no online classes for undergrads on campus. If the degree isn't really important to you I would tell any athlete don't go there.

Our players aren't all wizards and all our Majors aren't the same difficulty level.

But you're going to take Calculus your 1st semester no matter who you are and if you don't do the work and go to class you'll never make it.

As to the football/academic thing only Bama , Georgia , Oklahoma , Ohio St and Clemson have more wins than us in the last 3 years so we're doing OK. I don't think better is possible.

This is an RU Hoop Board----let's end it.

They’ll probably delay because of optics and because word will leak out that the vaccine will indeed hit distribution in January. I’d bet on a January to May full season or a shortened one somewhere in between.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT