ADVERTISEMENT

Know when to hold them, know when to fold them!

Blueswayedshus

Redshirt
Nov 15, 2019
I think Steve Pikiell wisely heeded the advice of Kenny Rogers and agreed to the game, probably after pressure from Pat Hobbs. There was nothing to gain from holding out. To think that Seton Hall was going to agree to two straight games at the RAC was irrational. The every other year hosting schedule for each team is back on track the way it should be and the series will continue the way it should. Because of Hobbs’ Seton Hall ties and ability to spin things in his favor, my guess is that the upper deck will be opened. Those thinking that Rutgers fans will flood the Rock are kidding themselves. Sorry for the use of the word flood, I know it engenders bad memories.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I think Steve Pikiell wisely heeded the advice of Kenny Rogers and agreed to the game, probably after pressure from Pat Hobbs. There was nothing to gain from holding out. To think that Seton Hall was going to agree to two straight games at the RAC was irrational. The every other year hosting schedule for each team is back on track the way it should be and the series will continue the way it should. Because of Hobbs’ Seton Hall ties and ability to spin things in his favor, my guess is that the upper deck will be opened. Those thinking that Rutgers fans will flood the Rock are kidding themselves. Sorry for the use of the word flood, I know it engenders bad memories.
If SHU has the balls to open up the upper deck (which they don't) there will be more RU fans there than SHU fans.

Hobbs and Pikiell disappoint me. SHU fans foam at the mouth even thinking about RU.
RU stopped caring about SHU 10 years ago, and would rather beat Minnesota.

I would rather we never played SHU again then give in to little SHU after they cancelled last year's game on us. The was such a Bullsh*t move and anyone who doesn't recognize that is blind.

And for Pike/Hobbs to accept that? So beneath us. It pissed me off to no end. IF it was Michigan or Michigan State or someone of national significance, I can understand.

But it wasn't. It was freakin SHU, a nobody from an average conference.
YUCK.

We are Big, SHU is a joke!!! Hobbs is acting like a joke. Leave it to Rutgers to yield the power in this play!!!
Hard to be Big with a small time attitude and AD

Last edited:
If SHU has the balls to open up the upper deck (which they don't) there will be more RU fans there than SHU fans.

Hobbs and Pikiell disappoint me. SHU fans foam at the mouth even thinking about RU.
RU stopped caring about SHU 10 years ago, and would rather beat Minnesota.

I would rather we never played SHU again then give in to little SHU after they cancelled last year's game on us. The was such a Bullsh*t move and anyone who doesn't recognize that is blind.

And for Pike/Hobbs to accept that? So beneath us. It pissed me off to no end. IF it was Michigan or Michigan State or someone of national significance, I can understand.

But it wasn't. It was freakin SHU, a nobody from an average conference.
YUCK.
Really, just grow up! This game is good for both RU and Cheatin Hall. This will be good for recruiting for both programs in the NYC, NJ area.

This should be a non issue. I would have hoped Rutgers would have done the same thing if in SHU position.

it is a 1 for 1 for gate purposes. The game should be at SHU this year. If I were A SHU fan I’d hope the curtain be up.

any unbiased view of the situation would result in this being the best solution

maybe if I were a SHU fan and I knew the game could draw 14K I’d want upper level seats be $100

This should be a non issue. I would have hoped Rutgers would have done the same thing if in SHU position.

it is a 1 for 1 for gate purposes. The game should be at SHU this year. If I were A SHU fan I’d hope the curtain be up.

any unbiased view of the situation would result in this being the best solution

maybe if I were a SHU fan and I knew the game could draw 14K I’d want upper level seats be $100

If it’s a Sunday afternoon game it competes with the NFL.

Too bad it couldn’t be scheduled on its usual Saturday slot

Most people aren’t going to base whether they go or don’t go to a Rutgers game based on watching something on TV. Especially now with the NFL playing a 39 game schedule with everyone getting in the playoffs anyway.

Good post. Seton Hall probably should have gone forward with the RU game last year in an empty Rock, and that's their bad. But it's totally unreasonable to think that now they'd accept playing twice in a row at the RAC and skipping a home game. Playing twice in arrow at the RAC is way worse than SHU's original offense. And holding out just to beat our chests just hurts everyone and makes us look bad.

If it’s a Sunday afternoon game it competes with the NFL.

Too bad it couldn’t be scheduled on its usual Saturday slot
The pitfalls of renting the Prudential Center is that SHU is 3rd or 4th in order of NJ Devil or NHL scheduled games and potential concerts or shows at the Rock.

The game is on a Sunday and not a Saturday, because SHU has ZERO control over their own building. If Prudential or the NHL NJ Devils had a back to back Saturday and Sunday home 1PM games, this RU SHU game would be at 8PM on Sunday night, because you would need to clear the arena after the NHL game and then go from Ice to them placing the court out there to play on.

That is an extreme situation, normally a team, and the visiting team gets a "shoot around" on the court a few hours before the game and gets acclimated to the locker rooms, etc. So I would 99.9% guess that there is a hockey game on Saturday at Prudential and RU/SHU was pushed to a Sunday.

I can only state so many times, this game was going to be played, because it is an absolute must-have financially for SHU....they canceled last year because they would have missed on the RU revenue stream and need the extra RU fans to help keep things moving forward.

That doesn't mean much in terms of pure basketball or recruiting or anything associated with the game, but it is why it's being played on a Sunday vs Saturday. Means nothing to me either way, either day other than a weeknight is fine. They even had a Friday night RU/SHU game a few years ago, same situation of getting bumped for the NJ Devils/NHL etc.

2 potential reasons
1. Media rights dictated the day
2. PRU CENTER dictates

given that NHL schedule is about to be released I am going with NJH reason. Only logical open date for Prudential Center

Another key reason for the game being on Sunday is that SHU is already playing Texas on Thursday (Dec 9th). Playing Saturday would only give them 1 day off between games, something most teams wouldn't voluntarily do to themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT