ADVERTISEMENT

Last scholly - what say you?

Again….what does your minutes distribution look like if Ace isnt playing a lot with 3 guards.

Thats where the pencil comes in.

Dercack and Acuff and JWill one gets not a lot if mintes
If Dylan and ACE are the primary offensive weapons and can go for 20 every night , then the minute distribution is irrelevant , unless you are trying to balance and get the best defense on the floor. If Dylan and ACE are on the floor together most of the time , let’s say with Martini , he will get a lot of kick out 3’s when Dylan gets doubled. Same for Hayes if he subs in at the 3 or 4 , he will also get a lot of threes. Acuff can score and help Dylan , especially when doubled as will JWill. I look at Derdack as a Swiss Army knife , but bringing it defensively and on. the boards. I fully expect Dylan to play 30-34 minutes a night and Ace to play 28-34 a night. So that is at best 22 minutes when they are subbed out to whack up at their position. Acuff and JWill in my opinion will have similar roles and be subbed out for one another.

If Dylan and ACE are the primary offensive weapons and can go for 20 every night , then the minute distribution is irrelevant , unless you are trying to balance and get the best defense on the floor. If Dylan and ACE are on the floor together most of the time , let’s say with Martini , he will get a lot of kick out 3’s when Dylan gets doubled. Same for Hayes if he subs in at the 3 or 4 , he will also get a lot of threes. Acuff can score and help Dylan , especially when doubled as will JWill. I look at Derdack as a Swiss Army knife , but bringing it defensively and on. the boards. I fully expect Dylan to play 30-34 minutes a night and Ace to play 28-34 a night. So that is at best 22 minutes when they are subbed out to whack up at their position. Acuff and JWill in my opinion will have similar roles and be subbed out for one another.

JWill played 27min/game last year coming off an injury. Is that expected to increase now that he’s fully healthy?

If all 3 of Ace, Dylan and Harper are at approx 30mpg, that’s not many minutes for Acuff, Derkack, Hayes and Martini.
It’s 70min leftover which is less than 18mpg evenly across.

This doesn’t even account for Davis (who was starting and playing over 20mpg to end the year), Grant and Dortch.

Forget Lathan at the 4 also eating into these minutes.
It seems every year people overestimate that we’ll have a 12 man rotation.

Or perhaps I’m over estimating how many minutes JWill is playing.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Yes. If Ace isnt playing the “4” Acuff dercack hayes and j will and jamike 3 of them arent pkaying much at all

Yes. If Ace isnt playing the “4” Acuff dercack hayes and j will and jamike 3 of them arent pkaying much at all
How many minutes do you think Ace and Dylan each play?
Roster isn’t complete yet but if Ace plays 0 minutes at the 4, and both Ace and Dylan avg 30 mpg, that still leaves time for 3 others to average 20 mpg at the 1 though 3.
I envision 3 of those 5 playing meaningful minutes, 16 to 24 per game, and 2 of the 5 at under 10 mpg,

How many minutes do you think Ace and Dylan each play?
Roster isn’t complete yet but if Ace plays 0 minutes at the 4, and both Ace and Dylan avg 30 mpg, that still leaves time for 3 others to average 20 mpg at the 1 though 3.
I envision 3 of those 5 playing meaningful minutes, 16 to 24 per game, and 2 of the 5 at under 10 mpg,
I see Jwill playing 28 ish. Then with your math, which i agree, 2 others average 16.

Then what about games you push a little extra and the 3 play 100 minutes?

I see Jwill playing 28 ish. Then with your math, which i agree, 2 others average 16.

Then what about games you push a little extra and the 3 play 100 minutes?

In my opinion, Ace will be playing the 4 whenever Martini is on the bench and the 3 the rest of the time. We’ll probably press some when Martini rests, in which case the difference between the 3 and 4 would be indistinguishable during those stretches.

If we ever need Martini to slide to 5, that’s a wild card… reading between the lines, my prediction centers around D and for now, assumes we do not land an experienced defensive center. In this case, Martini is our only experienced defensive post player. When he comes out, we’ll want two experienced defensive guards playing with Dylan and Ace as the alternative because that’s the only area where we have experience players to choose from.

Last edited:
I’ve given this a lot of thought and, while I can’t predict who will play what position, I am as certain as one can be that we will have 5 players on the court, at a time, playing the various positions come game day. I feel this will be a good strategy.

Obviously we really dont know who is going to bust and who is going to surprise. In the unlikely scenario none bust we have a higher quantity of “non bigs”. I would think a guy like Ace has the ability to play “bigger and longer” on the defensive end. Could also be easier to defend a B1G “4” then a B1G “3”….both in terms of success and the use of energy

Obviously we really dont know who is going to bust and who is going to surprise. In the unlikely scenario none bust we have a higher quantity of “non bigs”. I would think a guy like Ace has the ability to play “bigger and longer” on the defensive end. Could also be easier to defend a B1G “4” then a B1G “3”….both in terms of success and the use of energy

Yes - my hypothesis is Ace will be option two on D in the post after Martini to play alongside mystery center X until proven otherwise.

Assuming both Somerville and mystery center X will be servicable enough on D to play alongside Ace at the 3 - well, that’s kind of like projecting Caleb would come in last year and suddenly shoot 35% from 3. Anything can happen, but it seems like a long shot to forecast that right now. Weren’t there several reports that Somerville has work to do on D? I’m assuming we’re not getting the UK kid. If we get a D oriented frosh I would feel better. The Serbian kid projects kind of similar to Somerville - doesn’t he? I’m skeptical of relying on an offense first type of center. We don’t want to score first through our center. If D isn’t the kid’s strength I worry they will try to do too much on the other end. I think a D bruiser would be a better fit for this year.

Last edited:
Sharpen your pencil. We will be more positionless than ever before with many times having a shortest guy at 6’5 or 6’6. Dylan will be handling the ball a lot. Times he isn’t then he will be a 2 or a 3. Ace can play 2,3 or 4. Acuff can play 2, 3. Derdack can play 2,3. JWill will play 1.2 at least. Martini will play 4/5. Hayes will play 3/4. Only JMike will play 1. He is the only one . All the other guards , wings and forwards will be interchangeable . Your trying to use the older way to look at things as having to be in defined lanes , like a 2 is a 2, a 1 is a 1, I do not think will apply to this team. Most interchangeable team Pike has had.

Yes - my hypothesis is Ace will be option two on D in the post after Martini to play alongside mystery center X until proven otherwise.

Assuming both Somerville and mystery center X will be servicable enough on D to play alongside Ace at the 3 - well, that’s kind of like projecting Caleb would come in last year and suddenly shoot 35% from 3. Anything can happen, but it seems like a long shot to forecast that right now. Weren’t there several reports that Somerville has work to do on D? I’m assuming we’re not getting the UK kid. If we get a D oriented frosh I would feel better. The Serbian kid projects kind of similar to Somerville - doesn’t he? I’m skeptical of relying on an offense first type of center. We don’t want to score first through our center. If D isn’t the kid’s strength I worry they will try to do too much on the other end. I think a D bruiser would be a better fit for this year.
The key to Lathan being a good perimeter shooter (39% from 3) is not that he needs to take a lot of them, it’s that he will force the other team’s center to come out and guard him. If they don’t, he could hit better than 39% from 3 which would be a killer. If the other team’s center is good and does come out we take away a defensive stopper, shot blocker and rebounder. An open middle and good floor spacing will open up drives and our team size should enable us to get offensive rebounds. I only saw Latham play once, so it was a small sample size, but when he played at the RAC, he looked good shooting and hitting 3s and shot with confidence.

• Wow
Reactions: rubigtimenow
JWill played 27min/game last year coming off an injury. Is that expected to increase now that he’s fully healthy?

If all 3 of Ace, Dylan and Harper are at approx 30mpg, that’s not many minutes for Acuff, Derkack, Hayes and Martini.
It’s 70min leftover which is less than 18mpg evenly across.

This doesn’t even account for Davis (who was starting and playing over 20mpg to end the year), Grant and Dortch.

Forget Lathan at the 4 also eating into these minutes.
It seems every year people overestimate that we’ll have a 12 man rotation.

Or perhaps I’m over estimating how many minutes JWill is playing.
Maybe you will consider that Dylan and Ace are probably the #1 and #2 draft picks in 2025. They will transcend anything you have seen at Rutgers in a long time . They will play 30 minutes a night. JWill and Acuff will split time as JWill is foul prone in his limited stint last year. You are overestimating his minutes. I can see them sharing 25 minutes a game each or 23 per game . Martini and Hayes probably 25 and 15–20 minutes. Derdack and JMike will get minutes when defense is absolutely needed. Dylan sitting will free up 10 minutes for JMike. . Lathan , Egbole and third center get the minutes at the 5. Doubt Dorsch and Grant see many minutes and all the minutes will be earned in place of the others mentioned above

Maybe you will consider that Dylan and Ace are probably the #1 and #2 draft picks in 2025. They will transcend anything you have seen at Rutgers in a long time . They will play 30 minutes a night. JWill and Acuff will split time as JWill is foul prone in his limited stint last year. You are overestimating his minutes. I can see them sharing 25 minutes a game each or 23 per game . Martini and Hayes probably 25 and 15–20 minutes. Derdack and JMike will get minutes when defense is absolutely needed. Dylan sitting will free up 10 minutes for JMike. . Lathan , Egbole and third center get the minutes at the 5. Doubt Dorsch and Grant see many minutes and all the minutes will be earned in place of the others mentioned above
I'm not so sure about which player will get what. But if forced to guess, I'd guess that, in most games at least, the players will combine for 200 minutes.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Martini will play the 4. Sounds like the staff is high on Grant and expect him to play this year. His minutes will be at the 4. The rest of the 4 minutes will probably go to Ace

If Grant isn't ready and/or Martini underperforms, Ace will be forced to play more at the 4 out of necessity

JWill and Acuff will combine for over 40 minutes a game. We are going to play a lot with 3 guards.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT