ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on Zion getting paid

How dumb to put the cars in his mom's and stepdad's name.

Is Thomas Morris Duke's version of Sam Gilbert or is he one of many?
Duke’s punishment will be one less walk-on and one less band member for 2020-2021.
The NCAA will wait until this legal process plays out before they do anything. It could be 2022 by then.

The NCAA will wait until this legal process plays out before they do anything. It could be 2022 by then.
We have a better chance of seeing Seton Hall vs.RU in the final four then the NCAA coming down hard on duke. Coach K ''the rat '' will escape untouched.

Aside from the Duke/Zion angle of this story, I'm fascinated by the agent angle.

Zion breaks a contract with them due to the contract being illegal.... and instead of arguing that the contract was not illegal on its merits, they are arguing that Zion wasn't an eligible athlete so he shouldn't be protected by that law. They're essentially conceding the fact that their intent was to violate the laws protecting student athletes... and showing that they are willing to attack his past eligibility to protect a contract that was signed in bad faith.

Why would any future student athlete ever sign with this agency?

Reactions: Myrtleknight
We have a better chance of seeing Seton Hall vs.RU in the final four then the NCAA coming down hard on duke. Coach K ''the rat '' will escape untouched.
Hmmm. I'll take the NCAA coming down hard on Duke over the chance of seeing Seton Hall vs.RU in the final four

I doubt that anything serious will be done to Duke by the NCAA. Would ESPN allow it? For them, that would be the basketball equivalent of having the Bama or LSU banned from televised games and bowls.

The NCAA knows which side of the bread the butter is on.

I've watched SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt at least once a night and I can't remember this story even being mentioned on their network...or maybe I missed it.

Reactions: LC-88
I've watched SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt at least once a night and I can't remember this story even being mentioned on their network...or maybe I missed it.

I haven’t watched Sportscenter since RU joined the BIG and I would bet that this story was never reported.

I’m sure they’re preparing a five part expose with Bilas and Vitale as the lead reporters. Not!

GO RU

Reactions: HeavenUniv.

Russ

IMO the NCAA didn't do squat re.: UNC and phantom classes producing "A's" for athletes. The NCAA did respond to PSU's issues by stripping Joe Pa / the school of the W"S (vacating)....and then in 2016 reinstated the marks.

IMO the rich get richer and Duke gets the best money can buy.
Nothing will happen because the NCAA, ESPN, FOX, et. al can't afford to sacrifice Duke...since they are the chosen ones....just ask them!

MO

NCAA will just wait until Coach K retires or passes away before handing down any penalties.

Other programs that skirt the rules are playing to win. We are happy with Big Ten membership, its financial reward, and participating. One of these days we will see the light. Championships are long remembered — transgressions and the count of vacated wins pass quickly.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Can’t remember the year, but they were National Champions and NONE of the seniors graduated on time.

Russ

IMO the NCAA didn't do squat re.: UNC and phantom classes producing "A's" for athletes. The NCAA did respond to PSU's issues by stripping Joe Pa / the school of the W"S (vacating)....and then in 2016 reinstated the marks.

IMO the rich get richer and Duke gets the best money can buy.
Nothing will happen because the NCAA, ESPN, FOX, et. al can't afford to sacrifice Duke...since they are the chosen ones....just ask them!

MO
The NCAA didn't do anything to UNC basketball, in part, because students who weren't student-athletes also "took" those classes. I mentioned that on this board the other day I can't remember which thread though. I still don't understand how they maintained their accreditation.

Vacating wins is probably the dumbest penalty. I get why the NCAA does it but fans aren't going to forget those games just because the wins were vacated.

Hmmm. I'll take the NCAA coming down hard on Duke over the chance of seeing Seton Hall vs.RU in the final four
Seeing RU finally playing in a NCAA game would be nice. Duke's cheating actually started at about the same time RU played in its last game in the NCAAs.

Last edited:
They didn't get the #1, #2, #3 players in 2018 for free.

I remember hearing stories about Duke recruits getting money back in the 90s to players like Elton Brand, Jay Williams, Carlos Boozer, Corey Maggette, and William Avery. Nothing has changed the last 2 decades either. They are the cleanest, crooked program in college basketball history. I don't know exactly when they started it but pretty much most of their final 4s, runner ups and national titles are tainted.

Reactions: shields
Duke players got nice rides and in some cases, parents got jobs. Been that way with Duke and Coach K for many years, but the NCAA doesn't mess with signature programs. As one still-active head coach said, the NCAA is so angry with UNC that they added an extra year to the sanctions against UNLV.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Seeing RU finally playing in a NCAA game would be nice. Duke's cheating actually started at about the same time RU played in its last game in the NCAAs.
[roll]
Rutgers has been bad for a long time, that's over now.

Reactions: shields
The NCAA is going to come down really hard on Davidson College for this!!

That'll teach Dook

Reactions: RutgersMO
Aside from the Duke/Zion angle of this story, I'm fascinated by the agent angle.

Zion breaks a contract with them due to the contract being illegal.... and instead of arguing that the contract was not illegal on its merits, they are arguing that Zion wasn't an eligible athlete so he shouldn't be protected by that law. They're essentially conceding the fact that their intent was to violate the laws protecting student athletes... and showing that they are willing to attack his past eligibility to protect a contract that was signed in bad faith.

Why would any future student athlete ever sign with this agency?

Articles about legal proceedings, particularly one like this that involves two separate lawsuits, are at times inacurate and, even when they aren't, often incomplete and rarely clear. I'm editing your statement above to represent my guess at what's going on, given the article and other articles it links:

Zion signed a 5-year contract with a marketing agent after he declared for the NBA draft. A month later, he tried to get out of it and, instead, sign with CAA, a big agency. When the marketing agent said that was wrong because he had just signed a 5 year contract with them, Zion sued, claming that the contract was, among other things, unenforceable due to the contract's failure to contain certain language intended to protect NCAA athletes from inadvertently losing their elegibility by signing with an agent ... and instead of accepting Zion's argument, the marketing agent fought back and sued Zion and CAA, arguing, among other things, that Zion wasn't protected by that law because he wasn't an eligbile NCAA athlete in the first place--he and/or his family took money for housing and cars from a Duke alum. They're saying that their intent was to enter a marketing contract with Zion after he declared for the draft and that it should remain viable becuse it wasn't voided by a law that doesn't or shouldn't protect Zion ... and showing that they are willing to attack his past eligibility to protect a contract that they claim was proper and never canceled.​

Articles about legal proceedings, particularly one like this that involves two separate lawsuits, are at times inacurate and, even when they aren't, often incomplete and rarely clear. I'm editing your statement above to represent my guess at what's going on, given the article and other articles it links:

Zion signed a 5-year contract with a marketing agent after he declared for the NBA draft. A month later, he tried to get out of it and, instead, sign with CAA, a big agency. When the marketing agent said that was wrong because he had just signed a 5 year contract with them, Zion sued, claming that the contract was, among other things, unenforceable due to the contract's failure to contain certain language intended to protect NCAA athletes from inadvertently losing their elegibility by signing with an agent ... and instead of accepting Zion's argument, the marketing agent fought back and sued Zion and CAA, arguing, among other things, that Zion wasn't protected by that law because he wasn't an eligbile NCAA athlete in the first place--he and/or his family took money for housing and cars from a Duke alum. They're saying that their intent was to enter a marketing contract with Zion after he declared for the draft and that it should remain viable becuse it wasn't voided by a law that doesn't or shouldn't protect Zion ... and showing that they are willing to attack his past eligibility to protect a contract that they claim was proper and never canceled.​

From what I understand, the agency also wasn't registered to act as an agent in NC, but did so anyway.

I still don't understand why any athletes would sign with them moving forward.

The NCAA didn't do anything to UNC basketball, in part, because students who weren't student-athletes also "took" those classes. I mentioned that on this board the other day I can't remember which thread though. I still don't understand how they maintained their accreditation.

Vacating wins is probably the dumbest penalty. I get why the NCAA does it but fans aren't going to forget those games just because the wins were vacated.

Russ LOVE the "QUOTATION MARKS".

This is from memory, so feel free to correct. The population of the Vapor Ware classes was 65% non Athlete and 35% Athlete. This seemed to have a bearing though it's idiotic. Since more students who were not Athlete's "TOOK" this class they essentially reasoned that it wasn't a sports ploy and let them go.

Here's another way or two to analyze it. What if someone @ UNC was bright enough (Lewis Black went there so they can't be morons)...and figured what if we get caught. Let's have a number of marginal students, or gung ho sports types to help throw any investigation off the scent. Conspiracy theory #1.

Argument #2. A 35% enrollment of Athletes in a class is disproportionate by many fold over to the total # of Athlete's on campus.
Who the hell is teaching their stat classes ... or did their professors also graduate from the UNC honors program of NC (NO CLASSES).

MO

From what I understand, the agency also wasn't registered to act as an agent in NC, but did so anyway.

I still don't understand why any athletes would sign with them moving forward.
Yes, that was one of the "among other things" alleged. And things are alleged against Zion. As far as another player signing with that agent, who knows. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not sure I care. I was just trying to better focus the description of what was going on.

Yes, that was one of the "among other things" alleged. And things are alleged against Zion. As far as another player signing with that agent, who knows. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not sure I care. I was just trying to better focus the description of what was going on.

I just raised it because it's also an interesting aspect of this to me... the risk reward of going after Zion and Duke with regard to their reputation with college players going forward. they could end up winning this suit, and still ultimately losing more than they gain. Doesn't mean that aspect is interesting to anyone else, of course.

The south east and mid Atlantic schools have been giving cushy high paying jobs to parents and way below market rentals for years. Not sure why they FUBARed this one.

Yet another story/thread about players getting paid.

Is there an easy way to quote all the moronic and hypocritical posts from other threads?
Such as these reoccuring gems:

"Allowing players to get paid will ruin college sports. The rich will just get richer."

"College sports is for amateurs. If the players get paid then I'm not watching anymore."

"If players get paid, Rutgers won't be able to compete. The top schools will just throw the most money at the best players."

Did I miss any other ridiculous fake arguments that come up?

We heard the stories of Jason Williams going to Duke after being a verbal to RU and the stories that funny things happened after he and Lance Thomas committed to Duke. These things might very well have happened but if so nothing was ever done to the Dookies and Coach K. Stories on Duke have been around for many years. I sure hope they get the hammer. North Carolina and many others have beaten the system for ages. The NCAA better punish Duke with MAJOR penalties this time but being Duke they will probably skate free again. It is a complete joke.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

Yes, the UNC academics told their accreditor no credit from those classes was used to graduate any student. They were put on a probation that is usually reserved for failing schools that are one step up from diploma mills.

The athletics department told the NCAA not a special benefit because kids of Rams Club donors also took the no show A class, not just student athletes. All the jocks remained in good standing. NCAA gave them a pass.

Somebody at UNC lied.

The accreditors are not in the business of policing sports programs.

But if the NCAA is going to whiff on something that is foundational to their mission, ensuring participants are academically qualified, what's their purpose for being?

But if the NCAA is going to whiff on something that is foundational to their mission, ensuring participants are academically qualified, what's their purpose for being?

To regulate student-athletes...er...uh...I mean to collect massive amounts of money.

Keep in mind that the NCAA's Board of Governors has the juice in that organization and the Board of Governors consists of school presidents. So, if people want the NCAA to change its ways the Board of Governors should really be the target.

Last edited:
Yet another story/thread about players getting paid.

Is there an easy way to quote all the moronic and hypocritical posts from other threads?
Such as these reoccuring gems:

"Allowing players to get paid will ruin college sports. The rich will just get richer."

"College sports is for amateurs. If the players get paid then I'm not watching anymore."

"If players get paid, Rutgers won't be able to compete. The top schools will just throw the most money at the best players."

Did I miss any other ridiculous fake arguments that come up?
I did miss you explaining why those arguments are ridiculous or fake.

Reactions: NickRU714
I did miss you explaining why those arguments are ridiculous or fake.

No problem.

This is an entire thread about players getting paid and the rich getting richer. It is already happening. Is college sports already ruined? If so then shouldnt something be different be tried?

Keeping it "hidden" just means the $ amount for Zion is hidden.

Bye. Stop watching today. Players are already getting paid and you continue to watch. It's not a secret. You know it's not a secret. Your a hypocrite. (Not you specifically @GoodOl'Rutgers - the person who says this).

If Rutgers played Kentucky or Kansas or Duke next year - how many of the "I'll stop watching" crowd will be watching? 100% would watch.

Again, this is already happening. The same top schools keep getting all the 5-star top players.

There is only one argument for keeping the current system of "hidden money" that makes sense:
I as a fan of Rutgers want to claim a moral supremacy over fans of other schools on message boards.

Just because players are already getting paid under the table (or through other channels), doesn't mean it's not wrong.

I have no idea how you determine fair market value and who is supposed to compensate the players... it's more than just the schools that benefit. The networks and video game creators use players' likenesses too; shouldn't they compensate the players? If ESPN plays a clip of you on SportsCenter, does that mean you should be paid? What about if it's in a commercial? Would these payments be made public and would there be a cap on them? How do we prevent schools/agents from going around this to get more through other hidden mechanisms? My guess is that the schools that are going to cheat in the old system will likely cheat under the new system, just in more innovative ways.

For the record, I'm not completely against players getting paid. I just think that it would have to be done in a very thoughtful manner and not like how Congress tries to write a bill without allowing for full vetting.

No problem.

This is an entire thread about players getting paid and the rich getting richer. It is already happening. Is college sports already ruined? If so then shouldnt something be different be tried?

Keeping it "hidden" just means the $ amount for Zion is hidden.

Bye. Stop watching today. Players are already getting paid and you continue to watch. It's not a secret. You know it's not a secret. Your a hypocrite. (Not you specifically @GoodOl'Rutgers - the person who says this).

If Rutgers played Kentucky or Kansas or Duke next year - how many of the "I'll stop watching" crowd will be watching? 100% would watch.

Again, this is already happening. The same top schools keep getting all the 5-star top players.

There is only one argument for keeping the current system of "hidden money" that makes sense:
I as a fan of Rutgers want to claim a moral supremacy over fans of other schools on message boards.
I offer an alternative solution.. enforce the rules/laws

All your arguments could apply to any lawbreaking.

Chicago is the murder capital of the USA... should no one go there.. or should we just make murder legal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT