ADVERTISEMENT

Lathan Sommerville practicing

Probably fair to say he's got a better 3 point shot than Cliff.

As a team, we've never had a bunch of 3 point shooters. It looks like this could be the year. Even our center seems somewhat capable.

As a team, we've never had a bunch of 3 point shooters. It looks like this could be the year. Even our center seems somewhat capable.
As coach, I would have this year's team practice 3s until they either hit or else miss short causing the ball to rebound strongly off the near side of the rim and way back out beyond the arc for easy rebounds.

That way, we can open games with all 5 players never stepping inside the arc at all. Other teams will eventually be forced to come way outside the arc to defend the 3, and then we'll attack the rim.

I predict we're gonna win all our games by a minimum of 40 points.

You just know that post is gonna wind up being posted on whatever that loser site that copyright infringes internet forums and reposts stuff is. That site's operators apparently lack sarcasm detectors.

• Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Nice lookin shot. Would like to see a little more air under him on those dunks. Hope he’s got the footwork to navigate inside against guys taller than he is.
Have you seen any of the other videos of him posted on this board ?
based on what little I have seen from those videos I am going to say your hope will be fulfilled.

Reactions: cm_13
I wonder when Lathan will be showing up on campus.

Appears it won’t matter.
Check out the Hayes thread.
Our elite shooters will be on the bench most of the game. We don’t need them actually on the court. Need ball handling instead (despite Dylan and Ace being in the floor).

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

Lathan offensively should help us. How about defensively? Is he going to be able to defend the low post or will he be a liability?

Appears it won’t matter.
Our elite shooters will be on the bench most of the game. We don’t need them actually on the court. Need ball handling instead (despite Dylan and Ace being in the floor).

Nobody said that. Marini is a shooter and will likely play a ton. PJ is more of a question marker because of his D. But that doesn’t mean he won’t play, it just may be more situational.

Appears it won’t matter.

I am going to put you on the bench.

I think (dont know) the 360+ D1 schools are littered with “elite shooters”, but a good bunch of them dont play because they cant do the other things.

I believe our shooting woes are part just recruiting bad shooters and part the way we play defense taking energy out of players on offense and part Pike playing guys who defend over shooting (Noah last year)

Reactions: NickRU714
Sounding like a broken record……….

I have to think Ace is a better offensive player than Somerville. Would Somerville do a much better job defending an opposing 5 and help our tram defense more than ace?

If the answer is yes, but not by much. I can see us going small, real small.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

I have to think Ace is a better offensive player than Somerville. Would Somerville do a much better job defending an opposing 5 and help our tram defense more than ace?

I agree with the concept, but in reality it will likely be Martini shifting there. Martini is a glue guy through and through. May not be the most athletic but he knows where to be, fights for the ball constantly and does all the little thing. Played center last year.

I agree with the concept, but in reality it will likely be Martini shifting there. Martini is a glue guy through and through. May not be the most athletic but he knows where to be, fights for the ball constantly and does all the little thing. Played center last year.
I agree Martini's grit, experience, and leadership will have him out there a bit.
I think the playing center thing is pretty overblown. The Ivy isn't/wasn't stacked with great centers. The good bigs are all 6'8ish, outside of the kid Wolf. Owusu-Anane, Spinoso, Anya, Ajogbor (maybe a little taller), Mitchell-Day, Thompson, Ragland JR are the guys, plus Pierce, Lee, and Perkins that averaged over 5 boards a game in the Ivy. Some good players, but there are no Kofi Cockburns/Zach Edey types in there.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
I am going to put you on the bench.

I think (dont know) the 360+ D1 schools are littered with “elite shooters”, but a good bunch of them dont play because they cant do the other things.

I believe our shooting woes are part just recruiting bad shooters and part the way we play defense taking energy out of players on offense and part Pike playing guys who defend over shooting (Noah last year)

I'd be interested in what schools bench their best shooter.

Let me ask you a qustion:
If Nebraska said, we are benching our best/elite 3pt shooter - how much are you cheering?

Would you rather play against an elite shooter who may be bad on defense or play against a better defender who isn't a shooting threat?

Note - last season our offense was so bad we finished 2nd to last in the conference despite playing guys who defend over shooting. Despite a very defense (you have the actual stats?)
Not the best example.

Thick torso for an 18 yr old. He's either not 6'10" or is not 240.
Hopefully he is comfortable in the paint.

Nobody said that. Marini is a shooter and will likely play a ton. PJ is more of a question marker because of his D. But that doesn’t mean he won’t play, it just may be more situational.

You say this (which would be good).
But then others go all "3 guard lineup" or "Lathan at the 4".
Seems our general team and lineup philosophy may still be in flux.

We know Ace, Dylan and presumably JWill are locked in starters.
Plus however the center position plays out.

But then is it Martini, Acuff, Derkack?
Sounds like Hayes is mostly off the table due to defense and relegated to a limited role.

They might, if you saw Kentucky this year, even though they had 3 competent 7 footers, Pitino decided his best lineup was going small with 6’9” Tre Mitchell at center. They did have deficiencies on defense, but the offense was very fast paced and electric, and almost no one could score with them when Mitchell was in the game at Center. It does seem like a leap for Pike to play that way though. The upside of what Kentucky did came with a big glaring issue, when Mitchell was out of the game or in foul trouble, like he was at the end of their game against Oakland in the Tournament, the team had a lot of trouble transitioning to a different style of play with the other centers.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
They might, if you saw Kentucky this year, even though they had 3 competent 7 footers, Pitino decided his best lineup was going small with 6’9” Tre Mitchell at center. They did have deficiencies on defense, but the offense was very fast paced and electric, and almost no one could score with them when Mitchell was in the game at Center. It does seem like a leap for Pike to play that way though. The upside of what Kentucky did came with a big glaring issue, when Mitchell was out of the game or in foul trouble, like he was at the end of their game against Oakland in the Tournament, the team had a lot of trouble transitioning to a different style of play with the other centers.
Ace should be able to play the 5 in the nonconference schedule to experiment for sure.
Small minutes but high intensity lineup could be JMike, JWill, Hayes, Martini, Ace….with JaMike and JWill pressing the ball on D.

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

If Nebraska said, we are benching our best/elite 3pt shooter - how much are you cheering?

Would you rather play against an elite shooter who may be bad on defense or play against a better defender who isn't a shooting threat?

Note - last season our offense was so bad we finished 2nd to last in the conference despite playing guys who defend over shooting. Despite a very defense (you have the actual stats?)
Not the best example.
Rutgers benched their best shooter

Goode probably best shooter on Illinois.

Who knows if 6'1'' freshman who shot 66.7% for Illinois wasn't their best shooter

Not the best example.
What shooters were left on that bench last year? AWilliams? He battled with his health all season.

You are too black and white with the issue. Coaches are going to play guys who they think give the team the best chance to win, not score the most or give up the fewest points.

GG shot the second highest number of threes on the team, and was .282 from the arc.

Not sure how you're defining "best shooter".

Better case for NF, but he was also slumping hard through 21 games (.286)
I am sure he was the best shooter on Rutgers.....didn't translate to games.

Reactions: RU_DIO
I'll bet a lot of team's best shooters are walk ons that are glued to the bench.

Just like Gavin, if you aren't (or can't) make shots in games then you aren't the best shooter.

Are those walk on shooting and making wide open shots in practice?
That doesn't make them the best shooter.

Also - fun fact: Gavin wasn't benched until he stopped making shots. Check game logs.
Everyone said his defense was atrocious starting game 1. Yet he kept playing minutes. Until he went 1-8 against OSU.
Then he lost minutes.

Reactions: PaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT