ADVERTISEMENT

Laviano constantly is falling backward when throwing...

i guess moxie has been used differently. I view moxie the way Zappa does.

I wish @RUBOB72 would clarify those things before jumping all over me. Not cool.

My wife goes to a hair salon named Moxie...
If he has "moxie" or is "tough" why doesn't he calm down, step up and deliver when he know he will get hit? At least once a broadcast of and NFL game or P5 game you see a QB do this and the commentators comment on it. I need to see that. If he is tough he can do that. Since everyone says he is tough, he needs to be coached up on that aspect of being QB.

Reactions: Knight Ed
Exactly Dale that is my point...we all know his limitations ...we have renewed hope that for just a few more games he can get us a win or two until Resigno or Odin are game ready ...whatever that means / ... Webster's Dictionary : Courage - Determination.... the definition of moxie...
Than my iterpretation of moxie is techically incorrect…I agree with you. I thought the definition would include savvy, feel, presence of mind, cool under pressure etc…

Than my iterpretation of moxie is techically incorrect…I agree with you. I thought the definition would include savvy, feel, presence of mind, cool under pressure etc…
Full Definition of moxie
  1. 1 : energy, pep

2. 2 : courage, determination

3. 3 : know-how
I think we both look at #3 and apply the savvy, feel, presence of mind under that section. I've always heard the term moxie used in boxing, when a typically outclassed fighter is out thinking his superior opponent and scoring some hits and counters.

Savvy , feel, presence and the ability to analyze quickly while under duress this is what Chris lacks ... it's not that he deliberately tries to do the bad things we see weekly...
I root for his success and the team but I suspect soon we will have a big change... he will have to either put up or move aside...fans will have to give these new guys some time as it is all about how some others on the offense develop over time...

The fact that he does this (and Nova did it too) is inexcusable. That is one of the most fundamental things about a QB. It blows my mind. Not very much makes me angry when I watch football but Laviano ALWAYS throwing off of his back foot drives me insane. I feel my blood pressure rise.

Lets no go crazy on the block--He got in an awkward position and he either had to be a matador or get in the way with a block.

He made the right choice and should be credited--But he didn't go looking for the block--it came to him unintentionally and he didn't run from it. He has been a tough kid throughout.

Laviano does have a reluctance to step into throws when he is under pressure. He did the same thing last year last year and has continued to show the same weakness this year in his game. Not sure if people should take this as a trashing of Laviano, rather it's just pointing out something that's part of his game at this point.

Welcome to the internet. People jump all over other people.

Show some moxie and don't let people jumping all over you bother you. :)
yea i know but sometimes its tough. I can live it if i make a controversial statement, but i felt i was pretty fair and even guarded with how i worded the criticism. As much as i love this board, i freaking hate it.

You see a lot of qb's throw off their back foot and some are able to get away with it. Laviano has such a weak arm that his throws generally don't make it to the wide receiver when throwing off his back foot.

You see a lot of qb's throw off their back foot and some are able to get away with it. Laviano has such a weak arm that his throws generally don't make it to the wide receiver when throwing off his back foot.
I heard Rettig is really good at this...

:popcorn:

First off I don't like bashing students as they choose to come to RU and work very hard to be the best that they can be. For that I thank CL for all his hard work and dedication.
That being said, I have not seen any real improvement this year at QB, and I think the coaches are starting to realize what we, the fans, saw last year. That the QB is a different player in games than in practice and continues to make poor choices and weak throws...

As long as we continue to thank players for their mediocrity, we will never take it to the next level. Bernie Sanders' America, folks.

Last edited:
First off I don't like bashing students as they choose to come to RU and work very hard to be the best that they can be. For that I thank CL for all his hard work and dedication.
That being said, I have not seen any real improvement this year at QB, and I think the coaches are starting to realize what we, the fans, saw last year. That the QB is a different player in games than in practice and continues to make poor choices and weak throws...
We don't have to bash, agree.

But we can be critical and discuss an individual's performance. IMO it comes with the territory at this level.

Like Nova I think Laviano has enough physical tools to be a serviceable QB, however like Nova I don't think he has the "football smarts" to make the right decision when under duress. You can get away with not having football smarts when you are a great athlete, but I don't think CL is a great athlete for 1A football.

Lets no go crazy on the block--He got in an awkward position and he either had to be a matador or get in the way with a block.

He made the right choice and should be credited--But he didn't go looking for the block--it came to him unintentionally and he didn't run from it. He has been a tough kid throughout.

Yeah, on the replay, it looked like he was going to sit the play out, staying out wide. But then Grant came out wider than expected and CL stuck his nose in.

Figure if the running game/OL got better, we'd see CL step into throws more. A bit of a chicken/egg situation as if he was more efficient in the passing game, the defense wouldn't be sitting on the running game & pressuring the OL. Of course, every good DC will work on knocking the QB down, and even Tom Brady starts hurrying up & backfooting it after a few good hits, but he can get away with it with his arm. Based on the coachspeak, CL has been given the riot act that he needs to stop with the bad mechanics and even trust his teammates to do the job (esp. OL).

That about sums up Bernie Sanders...the picture of mediocrity..
I would never have voted for Sanders because he's just too extreme for me (he's the left's version of Ted Cruz - both true believers which always scares me). However, Sanders is hardly the picture of mediocrity in his chosen profession.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT