ADVERTISEMENT

Laviano

andysjb

All Conference
Jan 30, 2003
Why are people so down on Laviano? If you were told you had a QB that was ranked 5th in the conference as a first time starter returning, wouldn't you be more excited about him for the following season? I am not looking to start a discussion on who should start just why some people don't want Laviano anywhere near the starting position.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
4420.jpg

I want to start by saying I have no idea who the right QB for RU should be - or any other position, for that matter - especially not at this stage of the season.

But to answer your question as to why people on this Board are so down on Laviano: Because fans on message boards always know more than head and assistant coaches for college and probably even professional football teams, especially because fans have the benefit of never seeing practices.

Of course this also applies to any position on the field: The fans always know more.

I want to star by saying I have no idea who the right QB for RU should be.

But to answer your question as to why people on this Board are so down on Laviano: Because fans on message boards always know more than head and assistant coaches for college and probably even professional football teams, especially because fans have the benefit of never seeing practices.

Of course this also applies to any position on the field: The fans always know more.

Also, after hearing boos, it appears some of the "adult" fans think Laviano should have just said nothing or
5996ab02f69dfaa4ed831a7f76865fab.jpg

because they bought tickets and it is their right to boo, and because the players are on full scholarship, they should accept it and deal with it. Apparently, they never made an error in judgement when they were 18, 19, or 20 years old, and they have lived perfect lives, and they expect perfection from every player who plays for Rutgers. And while denying their own behavior was improper and/or classless, they focus on the actions of the QB who was having a fine game, got his bell rung, heard some boos, and reacted.

This is sports. People love to hate. All he need do is play well, win, and he will be the best thing since sliced bread. Half the Yankee fans hated a rod last year until he started hitting hrs then all was forgiven. But, to answer your question directly I think there are people who hated flood so much that they see Laviano as "Flood's guy" and thus hate him as an extension of their hatred for the coach. If Laviano starts and wins they will change their tune, probably after convincing themselves that Ash made him a better QB.

Why are people so down on Laviano? If you were told you had a QB that was ranked 5th in the conference as a first time starter returning, wouldn't you be more excited about him for the following season? I am not looking to start a discussion on who should start just why some people don't want Laviano anywhere near the starting position.

because he was only a 3* recruit....Rettig was a 4*.....consequently, Laviano's popularity was doomed.

I want to start by saying I have no idea who the right QB for RU should be - or any other position, for that matter - especially not at this stage of the season.

But. But. But... But the fans DO know more than the coaching staff. Otherwise, how could we know who the best QB or other players are just by watching games alone? The coaching staff has to watch all those practices and spend all that time in meeting rooms w/the players. And they still get it all wrong.

So yes, the fans most definitely know better. And I, of course, know better than all the other fans.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The above and maybe the fact that he stunk the place out in all but three games last year and he lost two of those. Did he learn from last year? Lets hope so because if not he needs to be yanked right away.

Reactions: socaldave
But. But. But... But the fans DO know more than the coaching staff. Otherwise, how could we know who the best QB or other players are just by watching games alone? The coaching staff has to watch all those practices and spend all that time in meeting rooms w/the players. And they still get it all wrong.

So yes, the fans most definitely know better. And I, of course, know better than all the other fans.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And I thought I was the only one who knew everything

While I don't Boo our college kids I did take offense at Lavi's public comments. Not a fan anymore.

That said if Coach Ash thinks he's the best QB he should start.

I don't boo college players and never will.

My issue wasn't with Laviano, but with Flood. Laviano looked lost a times last season and should have been removed. Flood said Laviano and Rettig were even coming into the season, so why not give another player a chance when the guy starting isn't being productive?? Not just at QB but every position.

The booing thing is so over hyped. Players need to grow up. If you played high school football at a high level, you got booed. I played for Westwood, we went 11-1 my senior year losing 7-6 in the state championship game and I can assure you, when we messed up, the fans most of whom were our family and friends, booed. That's what fans do at sporting events when their team messes up. This no booing thing seems to be an extension of the give everyone a trophy for everything crowd.

The booing thing is so over hyped. Players need to grow up. If you played high school football at a high level, you got booed. I played for Westwood, we went 11-1 my senior year losing 7-6 in the state championship game and I can assure you, when we messed up, the fans most of whom were our family and friends, booed. That's what fans do at sporting events when their team messes up. This no booing thing seems to be an extension of the give everyone a trophy for everything crowd.
Nope. Will not agree in the instance when he was booed. It was classless and uncalled for. Kid was having a career game, got his bell rung and sat out for a play. Glad I did not leave in Westwood. Never saw fans of a high school team booing their own team, certainly not family or so-called friends. Has nothing to do with getting a trophy crowd. It's about having a little class and restraint.

I have no problem with people that choose to do that.. You pay for your tickets, you can boo if the team messes up.. A lot of fans do.. HOWEVER!! Laviano was booed during Maryland for re-entering the game after getting HURT!! That is 100% classless, and has no place in any sports setting!! The fact that there are some here who defend those actions, yet will hold a FOREVER grudge against Laviano for reacting to it are true pieces of shit!!

Laviano wasn't boo'd , the fans were booing Flood for not giving the stronger armed Rettig a chance.

Laviano also got off on the wrong foot by getting arrested or caught, w phony ID the Friday night before the first game. Horrible decision.

He seems very surly during interviews.

Rettig has the stronger arm. And seemingly nicer personality.

Combine all that, and justly or not, there's your answer.

So players have to grow up, but not adults who can't contain their frustration over a sporting contest? Okay, sure. That's logical.

And no, this is in no way related to participation awards. Giving somebody an award for having accomplished nothing special is a problem. Having fans that don't act like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum is not a problem.

Laviano wasn't boo'd , the fans were booing Flood for not giving the stronger armed Rettig a chance.
Oh please. Booing Flood for putting in Laviano is the same thing as booing Laviano. Like someone else has posted, booing is like tossing a grenade. Maybe the grenade was tossed at one particular person, but the people next to him aren't going to fare too well either.

Once Caroo got hurt he was lost. Teams used 8 man fronts with tight coverage and challenged him to go deep and he couldn't throw a deep pass.

Once Caroo got hurt he was lost. Teams used 8 man fronts with tight coverage and challenged him to go deep and he couldn't throw a deep pass.
And yet he threw several last season for touchdowns. Granted, Rettig has the strong arm. But this fiction that Laviano can't throw a long ball is ridiculous. If he can't throw a long ball, how'd he wind up being a D1 scholarship QB at all, let alone starting games.

Laviano also got off on the wrong foot by getting arrested or caught, w phony ID the Friday night before the first game. Horrible decision.

He seems very surly during interviews.

Rettig has the stronger arm. And seemingly nicer personality

Combine all that, and justly or not, there's your answer.

Some fans were booing Flood, others were booing Laviano BUT it was Laviano who was person in the spotlight at the time while running on the field and he responded. Whether or not his response was warranted or appropriate can be debated but to expect in that situation for him to be aware that the fans were booing someone else is being unrealistic and naive. Now, that doesn't excuse his response but to say fans have the right to boo and not expect a response in that situation is silly.

Reactions: new jersey1
Also, after hearing boos, it appears some of the "adult" fans think Laviano should have just said nothing or
5996ab02f69dfaa4ed831a7f76865fab.jpg

because they bought tickets and it is their right to boo, and because the players are on full scholarship, they should accept it and deal with it. Apparently, they never made an error in judgement when they were 18, 19, or 20 years old, and they have lived perfect lives, and they expect perfection from every player who plays for Rutgers. And while denying their own behavior was improper and/or classless, they focus on the actions of the QB who was having a fine game, got his bell rung, heard some boos, and reacted.

I think the fans were down on Laviano because of his hair doo. If a player makes it onto a major NCAA team he better get a good hair doo to look the part. I think they opened up a new barber shop because of Laviano.

Some fans were booing Flood, others were booing Laviano BUT it was Laviano who was person in the spotlight at the time while running on the field and he responded. Whether or not his response was warranted or appropriate can be debated but to expect in that situation for him to be aware that the fans were booing someone else is being unrealistic and naive. Now, that doesn't excuse his response but to say fans have the right to boo and not expect a response in that situation is silly.

And also Rettig had to leave the game, further causing boo'ing, and I sit about 15 rows behind the RU bench and Rettig was noticeabley upset. Bad decision by Flood that resulted in Flood getting boo'd. Laviano feeling the boo's were directed at him is certainly understandable, and he handled it as poorly as he did the Friday night before the opening game by getting busted drinking w phony ID. And he later handled that poorly with an interview where he acted like he was being persecuted. He's his own worst enemy, PR wise.

And also Rettig had to leave the game, further causing boo'ing, and I sit about 15 rows behind the RU bench and Rettig was noticeabley upset. Bad decision by Flood that resulted in Flood getting boo'd. Laviano feeling the boo's were directed at him is certainly understandable, and he handled it as poorly as he did the Friday night before the opening game by getting busted drinking w phony ID. And he later handled that poorly with an interview where he acted like he was being persecuted. He's his own worst enemy, PR wise.
"Laviano feeling the boo's were directed at him is certainly understandable." Yes, all too human but a great leader doesn't take things personally. Their focus is on what they are doing and not thinking about what others are thinking about them.

Two part answer:

Chris Laviano Game By Game Stats

Season:
2015 GAME LOG PASSING RUSHING QBR
DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD RAW QBR ADJ QBR
9/5 Norfolk State W 63-13 4 4 138 100.0 56 3 0 637.3 0 0 0.0 0 0 100.0 100.0
9/12 Washington State L 37-34 23 29 204 79.3 20 1 1 142.9 5 2 0.4 8 0 46.6 46.2
9/19 @Penn State L 28-3 27 42 251 64.3 30 0 2 105.0 9 -37 -4.1 7 0 28.5 52.8
9/26 Kansas W 27-14 18 25 201 72.0 25 2 2 149.9 8 44 5.5 14 0 76.5 64.1
10/10 Michigan State L 31-24 15 24 208 62.5 39 3 0 176.6 6 -31 -5.2 5 0 69.1 82.7
10/17 @Indiana W 55-52 28 42 386 66.7 58 3 1 162.7 6 2 0.3 7 0 69.6 62.2
10/24 Ohio State L 49-7 10 20 117 50.0 33 0 1 89.1 4 -12 -3.0 4 0 20.7 40.6
10/31 @Wisconsin L 48-10 4 14 31 28.6 10 0 1 32.9 5 -20 -4.0 3 0 2.7 7.0
11/7 @Michigan L 49-16 11 26 97 42.3 22 0 1 66.0 8 9 1.1 11 0 9.3 21.5
11/14 Nebraska L 31-14 13 27 165 48.1 40 0 2 84.7 13 3 0.2 13 0 14.6 12.3
11/21 @Army W 31-21 13 21 105 61.9 21 0 0 103.9 1 2 2.0 2 0 49.4 33.3

11/28 Maryland L 46-41 21 33 344 63.6 50 4 1 185.1 0 0 0.0 0 0 92.9 92.2

Reason #1: Five game span: 51-108, 515 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT, 31 rushes, -18 yards (longest rush = 13 yards).

Reason #2, after the Maryland game when the booing occurred, from a Dunleavy story: He (Laviano) posted a photo of himself with Flood and offensive coordinator Ben McDaniels to his Instagram on Saturday night. The accompanying message reads, "We're here to stay and don't give a **** about u ... Players, coaches, I love em all. #findanotherteam."

Until he publicly apologizes for that statement, he will have a very hard time winning back a portion of the fan base.

Actually there wasn't a lot about that incident that was good or correct on anyone's part from Flood to Laviano to the fans who booed. Thankfully, since Flood is gone it is behind us and hopefully, if Laviano is the starter, his play will put it behind him and all will be well.

Good gosh, no! He drank alcohol? With a phony ID? What a horrible person. Just horrible.

And he fought back against those who booed him? He's a fighter? A football player that's a fighter? What a horrible person. Just horrible.

If he winds up being the starter, all I care about is that he plays well. If he's over 16, I don't care if he wants to have a drink (the drinking age is moronic). I don't care if he wants to give immature fans crap. I don't care if he's likable or nice or not. That's his problem.

I just want him to play well. Same with Rettig or anybody else that plays.

Good gosh, no! He drank alcohol? With a phony ID? What a horrible person. Just horrible.

And he fought back against those who booed him? He's a fighter? A football player that's a fighter? What a horrible person. Just horrib

If he winds up being the starter, all I care about is that he plays well. If he's over 16, I don't care if he wants to have a drink (the drinking age is moronic). I don't care if he wants to give immature fans crap. I don't care if he's likable or nice or not. That's his problem

I think I agree.

Because the average fan really has a low Football IQ and when something goes wrong they always blame the QB and the HC.

Why were fans down on Teel? Nova? Fortay? Lucas? Savage? Because that is all they know.

And I distinctly remember many of these high football IQ fans on this board calling for Flood to put in Laviano in place of Nova, when he was struggling at times during his senior season. This was most frequently suggested following the Penn State game, where many here "knew" for certain that the inexperienced RS freshman Laviano would have been a better option to finish out the game as opposed to Nova who was distraught after throwing multiple interceptions. Would be very interesting if we could search back in the forum to those days..

Reactions: TRU2RU

And he fought back against those who booed him? He's a fighter? A football player that's a fighter? What a horrible person. Just horrible.

If he winds up being the starter, all I care about is that he plays well. If he's over 16, I don't care if he wants to have a drink (the drinking age is moronic). I don't care if he wants to give immature fans crap. I don't care if he's likable or nice or not. That's his problem.

Not that he drank alcohol, but he did it days before the first game with a phony ID, THATs the difference. If it occured in June, nobody cares much, But 2 days before the first game, HIS first start, yeah that's a symptom of an awful decision or doesn't give a crap. And then he doubles down on that bad decision when in front of a camera during a presser he acts like he's getting a bad rap. He comes across as a miserable SOB.

Ty @RUtrumpet92

His gameday play just had me trying to figure out what Flood was evaluating in order to determine the starter. With that said, with a new coaching staff I think everything should be a clean slate and I'll support whoever gets the call to be the starter.

I would just hope whoever is selected will be able to show why he was on gameday

People want our QB to be Russell Wilson or Roger Staubach who can come in and get it done themselves. They want that because we've been less than competitive and we don't have stars on the roster. The QB always gets too much credit and too much blame.

Reactions: new jersey1
Two part answer:
10/24 Ohio State L 49-7 10 20 117 50.0 33 0 1 89.1 4 -12 -3.0 4 0 20.7 40.6
10/31 @Wisconsin L 48-10 4 14 31 28.6 10 0 1 32.9 5 -20 -4.0 3 0 2.7 7.0
11/7 @Michigan L 49-16 11 26 97 42.3 22 0 1 66.0 8 9 1.1 11 0 9.3 21.5
11/14 Nebraska L 31-14 13 27 165 48.1 40 0 2 84.7 13 3 0.2 13 0 14.6 12.3

Reason #1: Five game span: 51-108, 515 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT, 31 rushes, -18 yards (longest rush = 13 yards).
It's true that he struggled mightily in that four game span. Can't argue that.

How'd the rest of the team do? I watched all those games, some twice. Seems to me the entire team sucked. Not just Laviano. So maybe we should all hate the entire team, eh? Or is it all Laviano's fault?

Reason #2, after the Maryland game when the booing occurred, from a Dunleavy story: He (Laviano) posted a photo of himself with Flood and offensive coordinator Ben McDaniels to his Instagram on Saturday night. The accompanying message reads, "We're here to stay and don't give a **** about u ... Players, coaches, I love em all. #findanotherteam."
The kid stood by his coaches and his team and against those who were heaping him with hate. I would teach him to keep it to himself; to not egg on the asshole fans any more than the asshole fans' immaturity already does. But I can't fault the sentiment he expressed.

If I were him, I wouldn't apologize to anybody. I hope he never does.

And it's not about Laviano. I'd feel the same way about Rettig or any other QB or player. The players do their best. The team does it's best. When it doesn't work out, that's going to hurt them more than it hurts the fans. If fans want to respond by not attending games or giving up on the team, I get that. I can understand that. But heaping hatred on the players for being beaten by clearly superior teams?

Everyone has to choose who they want to be. I just don't want to be that kind of self-absorbed hater.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT