ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave Incoming

Started the week hiking the Appalachian Trail from Hanover NH southbound into and thru VT, but temps in the low 90s quickly caught up to me and my 30-lb pack weight. Couldn't drink enough water and electrolytes. Sweating buckets. Exhausting. Cramping. After just 12 miles, I bailed. And recalibrated, opting to lighten the pack to 10 lbs, with just essentials for day hiking (vs a full-on backpacking setup). Anyway, made the best of it, now just hitting the highlights of VT's AT instead of the whole of the trail. Tonight I'm in Killington where the overnight low is expected to be 44°F. Crazy....

By the way, had supper tonight at McGrath's Irish Pub which is in the legendary "Inn at the Long Trail." And... what to I see displayed on the wall behind the bar with other sports memorabilia? A 70's era RUTGERS pennant. Well, RU RAH RAH....

That's the place built into the rock, right?

Always meant to get there.

Started the week hiking the Appalachian Trail from Hanover NH southbound into and thru VT, but temps in the low 90s quickly caught up to me and my 30-lb pack weight. Couldn't drink enough water and electrolytes. Sweating buckets. Exhausting. Cramping. After just 12 miles, I bailed. And recalibrated, opting to lighten the pack to 10 lbs, with just essentials for day hiking (vs a full-on backpacking setup). Anyway, made the best of it, now just hitting the highlights of VT's AT instead of the whole of the trail. Tonight I'm in Killington where the overnight low is expected to be 44°F. Crazy....

By the way, had supper tonight at McGrath's Irish Pub which is in the legendary "Inn at the Long Trail." And... what to I see displayed on the wall behind the bar with other sports memorabilia? A 70's era RUTGERS pennant. Well, RU RAH RAH....
Wow, Killington!!! My bro lives there. Weed is legal there, and you can be hooked up with a supply if you partake (I don't).
Be careful with the heat, and seems like you know what you are doing. Hydration is key!
Hikers have died in Arizona in the heat. Mostly East Coast people who don't understand how hot it gets in the desert sun with no shade. 44 year old woman died while hiking with her husband and children.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
Wow, Killington!!! My bro lives there. Weed is legal there, and you can be hooked up with a supply if you partake (I don't).
Be careful with the heat, and seems like you know what you are doing. Hydration is key!
Hikers have died in Arizona in the heat. Mostly East Coast people who don't understand how hot it gets in the desert sun with no shade. 44 year old woman died while hiking with her husband and children.

LOL. No weed for me. I don't even drink alcohol beyond CoorsLight when hiking, and two is my limit, usually with Chinese or Mexican takeout or Pizza or a big ol' Cheeseburger. Two or three weeks of hiking and I'll drop close to 10 lbs, and I'm pretty lean, as is. Typically burn 5000 calories a day. And it's hard to eat 3000 calories, especially in high temps. Sounds like fun, ay?

Reactions: Knight Shift
LOL. No weed for me. I don't even drink alcohol beyond CoorsLight when hiking, and two is my limit, usually with Chinese or Mexican takeout or Pizza or a big ol' Cheeseburger. Two or three weeks of hiking and I'll drop close to 10 lbs, and I'm pretty lean, as is. Typically burn 5000 calories a day. And it's hard to eat 3000 calories, especially in high temps. Sounds like fun, ay?
Sounds like my 7-10 trips to Sedona with mountain bike rides and hikes mixed in. I'm jealous of you right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT