ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big Heatwave Incoming

In Arizona, many of the construction workers, landscapers, etc start at 6 a.m. an finish by around 1 p.m. Never looked into it, but assume the local ordinances allow it--makes perfect sense- gives the people working outside some relief.
The job I am on the roofers are the only ones starting early at 6am I believe. The rest of us (union workers) are 7 to 3:30. Sucks! Im hoping they change to a 6am start but Im not confident. I haven't been outside that much but the area Im working is inside no AC just dead air. The GC set up a cooling tent but not many people use them because we have work to do.

In Arizona, many of the construction workers, landscapers, etc start at 6 a.m. an finish by around 1 p.m. Never looked into it, but assume the local ordinances allow it--makes perfect sense- gives the people working outside some relief.
I talked to some guys pouring concrete next to our rental in Florida (just my luck) I asked them how do you put up with this and get anything done? Their response, don't forget we can work year round, so we treat our summers like your winters, we only work a couple days a week and end by lunch time.

Looked pretty bad in several spots. We got a little drizzle down in Manasquan area.

74185801007-ah-power-outage-2.jpg

That's Hwy 36 which is the major route towards Sandy Hook. I heard the traffic was completely jammed as people tried to flee the beaches/marina's/Highlands bars.

There was definitely a few trees down in the immediate area.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That's Hwy 36 which is the major route towards Sandy Hook. I heard the traffic was completely jammed as people tried to flee the beaches/marina's/Highlands bars.

There was definitely a few trees down in the immediate area.
Asbury Press had run that story earlier today that we would get another round of storms this evening, but can't find it now. If the radar loop is accurate, it looks like it will get interesting after 7 p.m. in South Monmouth/Ocean. We need the rain. Lawns are brown.

Asbury Press had run that story earlier today that we would get another round of storms this evening, but can't find it now. If the radar loop is accurate, it looks like it will get interesting after 7 p.m. in South Monmouth/Ocean. We need the rain. Lawns are brown.
My iPhone weather app says nothing until 10pm for around here.

And updated now to nothing. 🤷‍♂️

NWS on the other hand says there is a chance starting after 4pm.

Also says much higher probability into the night and into early Monday morning for something.

My iPhone weather app says nothing until 10pm for around here.

And updated now to nothing. 🤷‍♂️

NWS on the other hand says there is a chance starting after 4pm.

Also says much higher probability into the night and into early Monday morning for something.
Yep, the NW chart shows 7-8 p.m. as the witching hour. iPhones don't predict weather!

During the pandemic NWS had predicted severe wind gusts at a certain time on a particular day (I forget the exact day, but I remember the event because the wind knocked down a large tree limb, killing a young kid in our neighborhood). They were remarkably pinpoint accurate on the timing, and ever since, NWS has been my go to source. But extreme weather can be unpredictable.
Maybe we should have a contest to see who gets thunder/lightning first, like the old UPS ticket truck thing?

Plotter.php

True story about the island - I was in South Seaside Park yesterday - Toms River was 99 degrees and on the beach it was COLD...probably low 70's with constant wind....and so cold that we needed to leave. It was like nature's air conditioning with a south wind blowing cold water/wind over the beach. It was unbelievable in the literal.
People think I’m lying when I say it’s been chilly the last few days here so thank you

Yep, the NW chart shows 7-8 p.m. as the witching hour. iPhones don't predict weather!

During the pandemic NWS had predicted severe wind gusts at a certain time on a particular day (I forget the exact day, but I remember the event because the wind knocked down a large tree limb, killing a young kid in our neighborhood). They were remarkably pinpoint accurate on the timing, and ever since, NWS has been my go to source. But extreme weather can be unpredictable.
Maybe we should have a contest to see who gets thunder/lightning first, like the old UPS ticket truck thing?

Plotter.php
Earlier today they were calling for rain here in Mercer county by 5pm and we got nothing. Looking at the radar I’d be surprised if they developed.

So one of the state buildings the AC broke and caused some water damage so everyone in that building is “working remote” the next two days being they have no AC. I’d be surprised if they get it fixed by then

Reactions: Knight Shift
Earlier today they were calling for rain here in Mercer county by 5pm and we got nothing. Looking at the radar I’d be surprised if they developed.

So one of the state buildings the AC broke and caused some water damage so everyone in that building is “working remote” the next two days being they have no AC. I’d be surprised if they get it fixed by then
If the radar from TWC is accurate, still looks like 7-9 pm window in Monmouth/Ocean by the beaches.

It actually feels like fall right now. Big winds and a cool breeze. I’m on my roof deck now and it is a bit chilly but the G&Ts make it feel like summer
That’s what I meant with the ocean looking like Lake Michigan.

With all the whitecaps it did have a fall lake vibe going on out there.

storms look concentrated east of 195 today unlike yesterday but there will be a shot at additional thunderstorm perhaps laters as that line from Pennsy moves in from the cold front

anyone today is a wrap on the heatwave officially.....7 days....hit 96 today with more clouds in the area though the heat index briefly got to 106, definitely Saturday was the most oppressive day for everyone in general

temps Monday will be in the low to mid 80s with a mix of sun and clouds, Tuesday most approach 90 and one more really hot day in the mid 90s on Wednesday with some afternoon and evening storms before we settle into the mid to upper 80s for Thursday into the weekend.

did you hear they want to ban gas powered leaf blowers in New Jersey now...never ends.

won't happen for awhile, but as technology improves people will change on their own without the whining.
Right now, however, the battery powered blowers are nowhere near as powerful as the gas ones. I have a battery powered one for blowing off the patios, but when I need to blow out planting beds and leaves in the fall, I need to use the gas-powered one. Maybe in time, they will improve.

However, one problem-I don't think they make (or can make) a battery powered leaf vacuum.

But it will completely solve climate change in weeks! 🤭 …the same way electric cars and wind turbines are completely sustainable and environmentally sound! 😆
Don't worry about climate change , natural progression will end gas preference .
People are fighting change but just like the people who claimed the horseless carriage would never replace the horse citing refueling on long distance drives would be a problem.
Hell all electric homes seemed impossible at one time and whale oil was used to light homes at night.
We can fight change, but it will come

Right now, however, the battery powered blowers are nowhere near as powerful as the gas ones. I have a battery powered one for blowing off the patios, but when I need to blow out planting beds and leaves in the fall, I need to use the gas-powered one. Maybe in time, they will improve.

However, one problem-I don't think they make (or can make) a battery powered leaf vacuum.
With the way technology is, you can just about bet, what you feel can't be made, someday will be what's normaly used while the best gas powers one now will be considered as a lesser product .

won't happen for awhile, but as technology improves people will change on their own without the whining.
Don't worry about climate change , natural progression will end gas preference .
People are fighting change but just like the people who claimed the horseless carriage would never replace the horse citing refueling on long distance drives would be a problem.
Hell all electric homes seemed impossible at one time and whale oil was used to light homes at night.
We can fight change, but it will come

Did the state ban horseless carriages? Or did what became a superior product replace them AS THEY BECAME SUPERIOR, and not by state coercion?

1. I apparently slept thru the storm(s). 🤷‍♂️

2. Think what @mdk01 said is closer to what’s going and might end up going on down the road:

- cars got better, and we picked them.
- when that happens with battery powered stuff (power, performance, price) we’ll all probably switch on our own.

Key part being on OUR own.

Did the state ban horseless carriages? Or did what became a superior product replace them AS THEY BECAME SUPERIOR, and not by state coercion?
A horseless carriage is what many people called the first automobiles .

We may look back at the horse-and-buggy days as a simpler, quaint, and romantic time when life moved at a slower pace and people formed strong bonds with their horses, but the realities of life during this time were far less picturesque. Specifically, there was poop everywhere. In fact, horses caused such sanitation issues in large cities that urban planners were desperate for a solution. Fortunately, the invention of the automobile came at just the right time, and we switched from horses to cars.

By the way, try riding up and down interstate highways on a horse
Generally, no one can ride horses on interstate highways or limited access roads like the NJ Turnpike .

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2
We may look back at the horse-and-buggy days as a simpler, quaint, and romantic time when life moved at a slower pace ...

Whenever I read horse-and-buggy I always think about the Buggy Whip speech by Danny DeVito in Other People's Money.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Okay, so the heatwave broke but were they predicting these type of winds? I get the whole competing air masses, system pulling away thing but some of these winds were crazy today.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Okay, so the heatwave broke but were they predicting these type of winds? I get the whole competing air masses, system pulling away thing but some of these winds were crazy today.
Outdoor shower after mowing the lawn the water was going sideways because of it.

The shower head is a little above the walls and the wind just pushed it.

After one day break many of us back at 90 or above

92 here but acclimated by now so it doesnt feel that bad

Tomorrow another story...with enough sun before an approaching cold front brings in clouds highs coukd reach the mid to upper 90s and it will feel 100 or above. Questions are timing of storms perhaps early evening or after midnight and will everyone get rained on?

Tomorrow another story...with enough sun before an approaching cold front brings in clouds highs coukd reach the mid to upper 90s and it will feel 100 or above. Questions are timing of storms perhaps early evening or after midnight and will everyone get rained on?

Definitely need a good, soaking rain - things are really getting dry out there.

Reactions: Postman_1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT