ADVERTISEMENT

Lax intra-squad scrimmage tomorrow at 12:00

No, but someone else who posts here is there. He will probably post something.

Heard they look very good though.

gef- I heard from someone who was there. I don't want to get into too much detail on the board, but I heard they looked really good at every level. Multiple options at virtually every position, with those that are back from injury looking like they didn't miss a beat. In one case, better than even before.

Goalie play seemed outstanding, and the face-off spot is a competitive. There is one D spot open as we know, with there being a multiple people that can fill it.

This is the most well rounded roster that Coach Brecht has built. Our attack is going to be scary good.

They seemed to have played even faster and the D was pressing out aggressively even more, which with our run and gun style, is just a natural strategy. Especially with talk of a shot clock coming to fruition. Coach Brecht and squad are way ahead of the curve here.

Lots of debate about what a shot clock will do, but I think it will speed up the game. I would hope we see a two point arc come into play as the only concern is teams will just pack it in. A two point arc would force it to be defended. Just like hoops and the 3 pointer.

But we are ahead of the game. Teams are going to have to play faster, and it is no longer conceptual for us. We have a defined way of playing, which is a great way to play, and now we are seeing years of coaching it and years of recruiting to it come to reality.

Really excited for the season. Heard even a number of freshmen were looking good, including Sanguinetti, who we already talked about.

I have a questions regarding your remark that the attack will be scary good.
I know Henningsburg will be multi year starter as a senior and two sophs, Adam C and Mullins who were very productive as freshmen. I have watched some games and I think I understand the basics but I admit to having no real knowledge of the nuances of the game. With the 3 top returnee plus some talented backups, I know the expectation would be high. What are the key skill sets that the top 3 have? Are their styles complementary to each other or do all 3 need to have the ball to be a threat?
How much of the success is likely to be based on individual success beating a defender 1 on 1 or through an attack system incorporating all 3 on attack plus the midfield.?
My sense is we will be very strong in transition but my questions are meant to get how strong Rutgers will be in settled situations and in man up situations.

Generally you want complimentary skills. It's similar to basketball. You need a point guard, someone who can QB the offense. It helps if that person is a thread to score as well. Beyond that, ideally you want a really strong right handed person on the right side, a lefty on the left. It helps if all can use both hands, though the Canadians are changing that thought process.

Ideally it is great if they can all beat their man, but understanding the system and playing as a cohesive unit is even more important. That goes for the middies and attack, and this is where recruiting comes into play. We have a system that requires athletes. Coach Brecht has a ton of them. I can just see from the videos online this is biggest, fastest, most athletic team we have had, maybe ever.

Even in settled situations, our scheme will work because our guys are just so good. They can beat their man individually, and there are a lot of them that can. It's going to be very hard for a team to focus on taking away one person. Looking at our attack, who do you focus on. What player do you take away, slide to early, giving chances to the other guys. I wouldn't want to make that decision. Throw in some midfielders like Toliver and Trasolini that can absolutely rip the ball, and you have a serious problem on your hands if you are a D coordinator. And this is when our goalie isn't making saves pushing the ball down your throat.

We will be very strong in transition. It's our thing. I am not worried about settled offense simply because of the individual talent and how well they play together as a team.

Man up is one area I have seen where teams like ours don't usually excel. It's really hard to switch off the attacking mindset and run very specific types of plays. We don't do that typically unless it is man up. We usually run different sets on settled offense and play within that. Man up is very scripted and not an area where we have done well. Hopefully we can do a little better there, along with man down being very good. With our aggressive style, we are likely to incur more penalties than those that aren't.

Hope this answers yours questions.

gef- I heard from someone who was there. I don't want to get into too much detail on the board, but I heard they looked really good at every level. Multiple options at virtually every position, with those that are back from injury looking like they didn't miss a beat. In one case, better than even before.

Goalie play seemed outstanding, and the face-off spot is a competitive. There is one D spot open as we know, with there being a multiple people that can fill it.

This is the most well rounded roster that Coach Brecht has built. Our attack is going to be scary good.

They seemed to have played even faster and the D was pressing out aggressively even more, which with our run and gun style, is just a natural strategy. Especially with talk of a shot clock coming to fruition. Coach Brecht and squad are way ahead of the curve here.

Lots of debate about what a shot clock will do, but I think it will speed up the game. I would hope we see a two point arc come into play as the only concern is teams will just pack it in. A two point arc would force it to be defended. Just like hoops and the 3 pointer.

But we are ahead of the game. Teams are going to have to play faster, and it is no longer conceptual for us. We have a defined way of playing, which is a great way to play, and now we are seeing years of coaching it and years of recruiting to it come to reality.

Really excited for the season. Heard even a number of freshmen were looking good, including Sanguinetti, who we already talked about.

Thanks for the report. I am hoping to try and make it to their second scrimmage. I am trying to fit it around fall ball practice and hosting two youth

Reactions: Caliknight
Good luck. Should be some good games. Loyola has the attackman Spencer that is really good. Can do it all. Assuming he will play, and will be a good match up for our number 1 cover, Rexrode. Not sure what Umass but I am sure they have a few players on their roster.

Generally you want complimentary skills. It's similar to basketball. You need a point guard, someone who can QB the offense. It helps if that person is a thread to score as well. Beyond that, ideally you want a really strong right handed person on the right side, a lefty on the left. It helps if all can use both hands, though the Canadians are changing that thought process.

Ideally it is great if they can all beat their man, but understanding the system and playing as a cohesive unit is even more important. That goes for the middies and attack, and this is where recruiting comes into play. We have a system that requires athletes. Coach Brecht has a ton of them. I can just see from the videos online this is biggest, fastest, most athletic team we have had, maybe ever.

Even in settled situations, our scheme will work because our guys are just so good. They can beat their man individually, and there are a lot of them that can. It's going to be very hard for a team to focus on taking away one person. Looking at our attack, who do you focus on. What player do you take away, slide to early, giving chances to the other guys. I wouldn't want to make that decision. Throw in some midfielders like Toliver and Trasolini that can absolutely rip the ball, and you have a serious problem on your hands if you are a D coordinator. And this is when our goalie isn't making saves pushing the ball down your throat.

We will be very strong in transition. It's our thing. I am not worried about settled offense simply because of the individual talent and how well they play together as a team.

Man up is one area I have seen where teams like ours don't usually excel. It's really hard to switch off the attacking mindset and run very specific types of plays. We don't do that typically unless it is man up. We usually run different sets on settled offense and play within that. Man up is very scripted and not an area where we have done well. Hopefully we can do a little better there, along with man down being very good. With our aggressive style, we are likely to incur more penalties than those that aren't.

Hope this answers yours questions.

Thanks for the info

Reactions: Caliknight

Thanks for the summary. Trying to get to the Loyola scrimmage on the 14th.

Loyola/ Umass on the 14th...free to those that can make. Should be two good games to watch.

Loyola/RU in particular. Will be a fun, fall ball, fast paced affair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT