ADVERTISEMENT

MacBook recomendatons

Leonard, here's a tip--if you're planning to buy this soon/now and have no need for the latest and greatest incremental improvements in the 2015s, don't buy direct from Apple. There are sales cropping up all over the place now on the 2014 models. I just bought a second MacBook Pro for a nice discount from a NY-based electronics store name B&H. I chose MBP because I value the Retina display and wanted 8gb RAM and a 256gb hard drive. I also don't think the thinness of the Air justifies the sacrifices when compared with the Pro and I've owned both before. B&H shipped my new MBP overnight for free and threw in Parallels 10 (I haven't had the need to run Windows on a Mac but just in case you do it was included in the price). You'll see they have some good sales on Macs although right now they are not taking orders on their website until tomorrow night which wasn't the case earlier in the week. The best part is they do not collect NJ sales tax with online orders (although I'll certainly mail my check to the state with my 2015 return).

B&H Macs

Best Buy also has the older Macs on sale although I think in most, if not all, cases B&H beats them on price and doesn't collect the NJ tax.

Best Buy Macs

Originally posted by RU Leonard 23:
Thanks for posting. Need to check the specs but it appears the same exact model is $200 cheaper at Best Buy. That's insane.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Not totally insane. Retailers are clearing out their inventory ahead of the newer versions that are just being released. Not sure when you went looking but if it was in the last few days, I assume the Apple Store is pushing the newer 2015 versions. My point is you can potentially beef up a 2014 model so it would stack up favorably against the 2015 model specs (especially given your stated use case) and pay less for it. Similar thought process to buying a car at the end of a model year.

I've gone back and forth over the years, in part having to do so because the organization went one way or the other. But for the last 10 years have had Mac equipment and would hate to go back. Have a 15" MacBook Pro right now (couple months old) because I do a lot of work at home while watching TV. Wanted the bigger screen in order to have a couple of files accessible at the same time.

Moms Skillethead has the smaller Air. It is way lighter and so that's good for her. If I were buying again, I'd be on the fence. I really like the size and power, but I have to carry it around the university a bit, and it is definitely heavier.

I keep a big screen at work and at home and just carry the laptop back and forth. Works really well.

In terms of price, to me, this is something that I use about 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm more than happy to pay a few hundred more to get what I really want. Even a thousand more. Amortise it. It comes out to pennies a day.

ADVERTISEMENT