ADVERTISEMENT

Made it to Indy! Let's Go RU!! Made it Home, too and thanks to the players and coaches on a great 2 seasons!

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Left around 8:30 am and arrived at 6 pm, so 700 miles in 9.5 hrs. Was pretty happy with that (74 mph avg), as there were no major tie-ups and just a few slowdowns. Was just enough truck traffic to keep it at 60-65 mph for stretches behind the inevitable long lines behind trucks passing other trucks, but plenty of open stretches where 90-95 mph was easy to do (I won't go over 30 mph over the speed limit - that's where they arrest you, lol, and it's a bit dangerous with some traffic).

Time to check in back home, answer a few emails, and head downtown for the game. Just saw that OSU lost to friggin' Oral Roberts (the dental school? j/k. but c'mon), so that and MSU losing looks bad for the B1G. Let's hope we hold up our end of the bargain tonight. I want this win so goddamn badly.

No takers yet for my extra ticket. Hey @AreYouNUTS - heading to Kilroy's shortly...

Would love to know where your energy comes from. I’m serious. Impressive.
Have a blast at the game tonight.

Left around 8:30 am and arrived at 6 pm, so 700 miles in 9.5 hrs. Was pretty happy with that (74 mph avg), as there were no major tie-ups and just a few slowdowns. Was just enough truck traffic to keep it at 60-65 mph for stretches behind the inevitable long lines behind trucks passing other trucks, but plenty of open stretches where 90-95 mph was easy to do (I won't go over 30 mph over the speed limit - that's where they arrest you, lol, and it's a bit dangerous with some traffic).

Time to check in back home, answer a few emails, and head downtown for the game. Just saw that OSU lost to friggin' Oral Roberts (the dental school? j/k. but c'mon), so that and MSU losing looks bad for the B1G. Let's hope we hold up our end of the bargain tonight. I want this win so goddamn badly.

No takers yet for my extra ticket. Hey @AreYouNUTS - heading to Kilroy's shortly...

Our driving time (including gas stops but not 2 food breaks or the hour long accident issue) was 9.5 hours. Funny!

Would love to know where your energy comes from. I’m serious. Impressive.
Have a blast at the game tonight.
Thanks, although I think it's just 30 years of pent up frustration, lol. I was so excited last night I only slept 3 hours and then did the drive. I'm sky high right now. What a friggin' game. Even though I couldn't find anyone to go with me after my one friend backed out, I lucked into having seats right near Rutgers Royalty in Danny Breslauer, former RU Knight Vision announcer and current co-host of the ScarletspotRU podcast, and his brother. When they were growing up their dad had seats a few rows from ours, so we'd always see these kids running around - they were huge fans back then. So we had a blast sharing this one.

Ok, so now on to Chicago for the day tomorrow - been to almost every major city in the US, but somehow never been to Chicago. Figure I'm this close, so why not - supposed to be a gorgeous day there - gotta get me some of Johnnie's Italian beef and an authentic Chicago style hot dog and walk around the whole city. Then back to Indy Sunday for round 2! So psyched!! I really, truly thought we were going to win and it was great to see the team come through. If Myles is ok and if we can hit our outside shots, we have a decent shot to upset Houston; if not it becomes a really tall order. But you know we'll come to play.

Never did I think that when I missed the '91 game due to travel for work that it would be another 30 friggin' years until we were back, especially having gone, in my time, in 83 (no $$). 89 (was going nuts writing my dissertation), and then '91 - wasn't an every year thing, but 3 times in 9 years wasn't horrible. So much heartache and disappointment watching RU over the decades, but this makes up for at least a bit of it. Can't wait for Sunday - was also really cool to have maybe an 80/20 fan advantage - we represented.

So happy for the players and the coaches too, as they've sacrificed so much during the time of COVID and missed playing in the tourney last year, even though we were certainly in as an 8/9 seed, and struggled this year to lock up our bid, but now, that's all behind us. Fanfreakingtastic!!

Thanks, although I think it's just 30 years of pent up frustration, lol. I was so excited last night I only slept 3 hours and then did the drive. I'm sky high right now. What a friggin' game. Even though I couldn't find anyone to go with me after my one friend backed out, I lucked into having seats right near Rutgers Royalty in Danny Breslauer, former RU Knight Vision announcer and current co-host of the ScarletspotRU podcast, and his brother. When they were growing up their dad had seats a few rows from ours, so we'd always see these kids running around - they were huge fans back then. So we had a blast sharing this one.

Ok, so now on to Chicago for the day tomorrow - been to almost every major city in the US, but somehow never been to Chicago. Figure I'm this close, so why not - supposed to be a gorgeous day there - gotta get me some of Johnnie's Italian beef and an authentic Chicago style hot dog and walk around the whole city. Then back to Indy Sunday for round 2! So psyched!! I really, truly thought we were going to win and it was great to see the team come through. If Myles is ok and if we can hit our outside shots, we have a decent shot to upset Houston; if not it becomes a really tall order. But you know we'll come to play.

Never did I think that when I missed the '91 game due to travel for work that it would be another 30 friggin' years until we were back, especially having gone, in my time, in 83 (no $$). 89 (was going nuts writing my dissertation), and then '91 - wasn't an every year thing, but 3 times in 9 years wasn't horrible. So much heartache and disappointment watching RU over the decades, but this makes up for at least a bit of it. Can't wait for Sunday - was also really cool to have maybe an 80/20 fan advantage - we represented.

So happy for the players and the coaches too, as they've sacrificed so much during the time of COVID and missed playing in the tourney last year, even though we were certainly in as an 8/9 seed, and struggled this year to lock up our bid, but now, that's all behind us. Fanfreakingtastic!!

Chicagoan here — Johnnies is great but in Elmwood Park, a bit out of your way to the west (bring cash). Portillos is a chain, but not bad and more accessible if you’re doing stuff downtown. Also can’t go wrong with Maxwell St Depot by Sox Park on 31st (you’ll pretty much pass it on the way into town)

New Jersey guy here who now lives in Chicago (and in Indianapolis tonight for game!) if you have any questions

hit the river walk and Lake Michigan although much different this time of year and during covid

it’s a great city

Chicagoan here — Johnnies is great but in Elmwood Park, a bit out of your way to the west (bring cash). Portillos is a chain, but not bad and more accessible if you’re doing stuff downtown. Also can’t go wrong with Maxwell St Depot by Sox Park on 31st (you’ll pretty much pass it on the way into town)
Thanks! Yeah, I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing, lol. Don't even have a room yet - about to rectify that now. I remember Bourdain going to Johnnies, but maybe that's too much jumping around.

Edit - just booked a Lake view room at the Swissotel on the river - looked like a nice spot and close to the River Walk, the Lake and the Art Institute...

Last edited:
New Jersey guy here who now lives in Chicago (and in Indianapolis tonight for game!) if you have any questions

hit the river walk and Lake Michigan although much different this time of year and during covid

it’s a great city
Given COVID, the river walk and LM are high on my list being outdoor activities. Might try to take a quick spin into the Chicago Art Institute, too.

Chicago is a great town! Enjoy - you totally earned it.

Thanks! Yeah, I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing, lol. Don't even have a room yet - about to rectify that now. I remember Bourdain going to Johnnies, but maybe that's too much jumping around.
You waited 30 years for this moment, this is one of the times in your life that budgets don't matter because the memories will last a lifetime. Roll with it till the end.

Reactions: RU848789
You waited 30 years for this moment, this is one of the times in your life that budgets don't matter because the memories will last a lifetime. Roll with it till the end.
If only I could've convinced @mildone to come with me - we could've been having hookers, blow, sheep and Italian Beef, not necessarily in that order - and not that there's anything wrong with that...

If only I could've convinced @mildone to come with me - we could've been having hookers, blow, sheep and Italian Beef, not necessarily in that order - and not that there's anything wrong with that...
Throw in some farm animals and that beats a trip to Vegas.

Edit - just booked a Lake view room at the Swissotel on the river - looked like a nice spot and close to the River Walk, the Lake and the Art Institute...
Great choice, Erik! I've stayed at Swissotel a couple times for conferences. Easy walk to a lot of fun stuff.

The wandella river architecture tours sound like they’d be a tourist trap, but are genuinely pretty good. I’ve done two or three with visiting family, and have enjoyed a lot of the hosts. Launch from under Trump tower

The wandella river architecture tours sound like they’d be a tourist trap, but are genuinely pretty good. I’ve done two or three with visiting family, and have enjoyed a lot of the hosts. Launch from under Trump tower
Had a spectacular day in Chicago yesterday. Drove up from Indy and it only took 2 hours and 10 minutes, which I was very happy with and decided I just had to go to Johnny's in Elmwood as my first stop. Their combo sandwich of sausage and Italian beef on a perfect Italian roll was truly one of the best sandwiches I've ever had - it was as fantastic as the best cheesesteaks I've ever had and I've been a life long cheesesteak nut and never thought I'd find a different kind of sandwich I liked as much as a top, top cheesesteak. Even their fries were fantastic.

So, then I drove into town and the Swissotel is really nice - I had stayed in one in Germany actually and really like them. I then spent the next 7-8 hours walking all over the city. First stop was the river architecture tour and I simply walked right on since I was a single (they were quoting a 2 hours wait. I'm an architecture fan, so it was right up my alley - the guide was very knowledgable and also happened to be a retired mechanical engineer (like my dad, so we chatted a bit about eng'g), so he had some cool insights into construction of some of the older and newer buildings in the city.

After that, I walked along Michigan Ave past all the very cool parks and got to the Art Institued around 4:30 pm and they were still open until 6 pm and only charged me the last hour rate, which was cool. Have always been a big fan of Impressionist art and there aren't too many museums outside of the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay and the Met in NYC that have collections as impressive (at least not as far as I know). Spent almost the whole time in that wing.

This is also where they have one of the most famous paintings in the world - and from pop culture - Georges Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte," the painting Cameron stares at so intently, drilling deeper and deeper into the pointillist construction of the painting, pondering whatever it was he was pondering, while the beautifully melancholy "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time," by the Smiths is playing, in John Hughes's Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I then walked back up the Magnificent Mile with a foray to the Lake and a stop to have another iconic meal, this time two Chicago style hot dogs at Billy Goat's Tavern (the original from 1934). They were almost as good as the sandwich at Johnny's. Best hot dog I've ever had. I was exhausted at that point, so I went back to the hotel room and watched some hoops and fell asleep. Absolutely will be coming back with the wife for at least 3-4 days as there is a ton more I'd want to explore.

Heading back to Indy around noon - but only after completing the Chicago foodie trifecta, by having a Malnati Chicago Classic pizza at Lou Malnati's, which two locals told me was the best deep dish pizza place. Will report back on what I find, lol. Can't wait for round 2 and RU hammering Houston to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. Why not? I've having a perfect weekend - as are so many other RU fans - aren't we all owed this win tonight?

1200px-A_Sunday_on_La_Grande_Jatte%2C_Georges_Seurat%2C_1884.jpg

Last edited:
sitting at the bar at Lou Malnatis eating my classic deep dish pizza which is damn good and watching Loyola taking it to IL right now... they're legit... could make our FF ruin easier. 😁😁

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
Had a spectacular day in Chicago yesterday. Drove up from Indy and it only took 2 hours and 10 minutes, which I was very happy with and decided I just had to go to Johnny's in Elmwood as my first stop. Their combo sandwich of sausage and Italian beef on a perfect Italian roll was truly one of the best sandwiches I've ever had - it was as fantastic as the best cheesesteaks I've ever had and I've been a life long cheesesteak nut and never thought I'd find a different kind of sandwich I liked as much as a top, top cheesesteak. Even their fries were fantastic.

So, then I drove into town and the Swissotel is really nice - I had stayed in one in Germany actually and really like them. I then spent the next 7-8 hours walking all over the city. First stop was the river architecture tour and I simply walked right on since I was a single (they were quoting a 2 hours wait. I'm an architecture fan, so it was right up my alley - the guide was very knowledgable and also happened to be a retired mechanical engineer (like my dad, so we chatted a bit about eng'g), so he had some cool insights into construction of some of the older and newer buildings in the city.

After that, I walked along Michigan Ave past all the very cool parks and got to the Art Institued around 4:30 pm and they were still open until 6 pm and only charged me the last hour rate, which was cool. Have always been a big fan of Impressionist art and there aren't too many museums outside of the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay and the Met in NYC that have collections as impressive (at least not as far as I know). Spent almost the whole time in that wing.

This is also where they have one of the most famous paintings in the world - and from pop culture - Georges Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte," the painting Cameron stares at so intently, drilling deeper and deeper into the pointillist construction of the painting, pondering whatever it was he was pondering, while the beautifully melancholy "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time," by the Smiths is playing, in John Hughes's Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I then walked back up the Magnificent Mile with a foray to the Lake and a stop to have another iconic meal, this time two Chicago style hot dogs at Billy Goat's Tavern (the original from 1934). They were almost as good as the sandwich at Johnny's. Best hot dog I've ever had. I was exhausted at that point, so I went back to the hotel room and watched some hoops and fell asleep. Absolutely will be coming back with the wife for at least 3-4 days as there is a ton more I'd want to explore.

Heading back to Indy around noon - but only after completing the Chicago foodie trifecta, by having a Malnati Chicago Classic pizza at Lou Malnati's, which two locals told me was the best deep dish pizza place. Will report back on what I find, lol. Can't wait for round 2 and RU hammering Houston to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. Why not? I've having a perfect weekend - as are so many other RU fans - aren't we all owed this win tonight?

1200px-A_Sunday_on_La_Grande_Jatte%2C_Georges_Seurat%2C_1884.jpg

Beef / sausage combo was a good move at Johnnies — I dip the fries in the juice. Sounds like a great trip!

First post since the loss. Not so much because I was so devastated, but because I immediately left Indy after the game and drove about halfway home by about 2 am, slept at a Ramada in Washington PA (just south of Pittsburgh) for about 6 hours and drove the rest of the way home today. Made great time last night with no traffic and ok time today with more traffic. Total driving time, including stops for gas/food, was 9.25 hours, about 15 minutes faster than on the way out. Big bonus: discovered Vassi's Takeout near Bethlehem, literally at the end of the exit ramp from 78E - fantastic cheesesteak and fries.

So, about that game. We lost. Yes, we kind of choked at the end, making too many mistakes, which I don't need to rehash as I can see from the thread titles that they've likely been beaten to death. Shouldn't lose when up 9 points with under 5 minutes left. The one thing I wish we had done was not slowed it down a bit at the end, as I think by slowing it down, it lowers our energy level on both offense and defense and our defensive intensity to that point was off the charts. Yeah it almost worked (and likely would've if two or even one of those mistakes don't happen) but maybe we win more easily if kept attacking; who knows.

But we just had our two best back-to-back seasons since our 5-year run in the mid/late 70s (3 NCAAs that would've been 4 or 5 if we had a 64 team field) and won our first NCAA game since 1983 (and who knows what we would've done in the tourney last year as an 8/9 seed). Let that all sink in. It sucks that we've been so bad for so long, but this team has brought me so much joy the past two seasons that I can forgive a little heartache at the end of the season, losing to a 2-seed, with some really good players.

Anyone who watches the Pike and Geo post-game press conference knows how much this loss hurt this team and our coaches. They looked devastated by the loss and, of course, the news about Joe Boylan. They knew we played really well, but just came up short, which happens, but none of that negates the incredible effort and sacrifice this team put in the past two years, especially this past year under COVID, as we were one of the few teams with zero pauses. You can tell how much Pike cares about his players and how much the players, like Geo, care about each other - such high character guys are so easy to root for, for me. Huge thanks to all of them for what they've done for Rutgers Nation.

As for me, I had an incredibly fun 3 days, centered around a Rutgers basketball team that has given me great pleasure to watch and cheer for. I got to enjoy a bit of Indy, a nice slice of Chicago and hanging out with fellow Rutgers fans at two fantastic basketball games (was great seeing @rutgersfandan and his brother and hanging out with them yesterday afternoon and seeing great fans like @AreYouNUTS and @BKIn118 and more at the games) - yes we lost yesterday, but if you weren't 1000% enthralled and entertained depite the loss, we might need to check your pulse. Can't wait for next year.

First post since the loss. Not so much because I was so devastated, but because I immediately left Indy after the game and drove about halfway home by about 2 am, slept at a Ramada in Washington PA (just south of Pittsburgh) for about 6 hours and drove the rest of the way home today. Made great time last night with no traffic and ok time today with more traffic. Total driving time, including stops for gas/food, was 9.25 hours, about 15 minutes faster than on the way out. Big bonus: discovered Vassi's Takeout near Bethlehem, literally at the end of the exit ramp from 78E - fantastic cheesesteak and fries.

So, about that game. We lost. Yes, we kind of choked at the end, making too many mistakes, which I don't need to rehash as I can see from the thread titles that they've likely been beaten to death. Shouldn't lose when up 9 points with under 5 minutes left. The one thing I wish we had done was not slowed it down a bit at the end, as I think by slowing it down, it lowers our energy level on both offense and defense and our defensive intensity to that point was off the charts. Yeah it almost worked (and likely would've if two or even one of those mistakes don't happen) but maybe we win more easily if kept attacking; who knows.

But we just had our two best back-to-back seasons since our 5-year run in the mid/late 70s (3 NCAAs that would've been 4 or 5 if we had a 64 team field) and won our first NCAA game since 1983 (and who knows what we would've done in the tourney last year as an 8/9 seed). Let that all sink in. It sucks that we've been so bad for so long, but this team has brought me so much joy the past two seasons that I can forgive a little heartache at the end of the season, losing to a 2-seed, with some really good players.

Anyone who watches the Pike and Geo post-game press conference knows how much this loss hurt this team and our coaches. They looked devastated by the loss and, of course, the news about Joe Boylan. They knew we played really well, but just came up short, which happens, but none of that negates the incredible effort and sacrifice this team put in the past two years, especially this past year under COVID, as we were one of the few teams with zero pauses. You can tell how much Pike cares about his players and how much the players, like Geo, care about each other - such high character guys are so easy to root for, for me. Huge thanks to all of them for what they've done for Rutgers Nation.

As for me, I had an incredibly fun 3 days, centered around a Rutgers basketball team that has given me great pleasure to watch and cheer for. I got to enjoy a bit of Indy, a nice slice of Chicago and hanging out with fellow Rutgers fans at two fantastic basketball games (was great seeing @rutgersfandan and his brother and hanging out with them yesterday afternoon and seeing great fans like @AreYouNUTS and @BKIn118 and more at the games) - yes we lost yesterday, but if you weren't 1000% enthralled and entertained depite the loss, we might need to check your pulse. Can't wait for next year.

great assessment, I agree with you on the choking (I know most hate that world here but lets call it for what it was) and slowing it down although looks like majority here didnt mind it.

Kudos to you for making it out there and getting to experience this historical time.

great assessment, I agree with you on the choking (I know most hate that world here but lets call it for what it was) and slowing it down although looks like majority here didnt mind it.

Kudos to you for making it out there and getting to experience this historical time.
Thanks - truly hope that we make it back soon, if not even next year, so all the fans, like yourself, who couldn't go will be able to. To me it was similar to the bowl games in many ways: a ton of fun to be around fellow RU fans, cheering on our team and simply being relevant in college sports, which is what bowls and NCAA Tourney appearances mean. Sure, going deeper in the tourney or getting to and winning top shelf bowls is the goal, but being involved and part of the conversation is light years better than being at home after another losing season.

Beef / sausage combo was a good move at Johnnies — I dip the fries in the juice. Sounds like a great trip!
Yeah, I dipped and even put a few fries on the sandwich because Fat Cats, lol. Just showed my wife all my pics of Chicago and described the trip and she absolutely wants to go soon. Would want to spend a week, I think. I may revisit this thread or start a new one asking for lodging/sights recommendations, although she did love the pics of the room I was in at the Swissotel and hard to beat the location overlooking the river and the Lake. She's really frugal in most ways, which I appreciate - except for hotels, while traveling, lol - which I can live with.

Yeah, I dipped and even put a few fries on the sandwich because Fat Cats, lol. Just showed my wife all my pics of Chicago and described the trip and she absolutely wants to go soon. Would want to spend a week, I think. I may revisit this thread or start a new one asking for lodging/sights recommendations, although she did love the pics of the room I was in at the Swissotel and hard to beat the location overlooking the river and the Lake. She's really frugal in most ways, which I appreciate - except for hotels, while traveling, lol - which I can live with.

Happy to provide some recommendations next time around. The chicago architecture center hosts an annual “open house” every fall. Dozens of buildings across the city open up for tours. I believe it’s typically in October. My recollection is that most or all are free, but some may require some advance reservations. We’ve used it to see things outside of neighborhoods we typically visit. Went to the top of university of Chicago’s church tower in 2019, that was a really unique experience. Seems like that might align with your interests.

I’ll probably have to make a drive out to Johnnies this weekend thanks to these posts haha

Thanks, although I don't know art that well, but I do appreciate it. My wife knows a ton more than I do, so I at least have a good tour guide when we go. Might need to page the expert on this one. Dr. Skillet? @SkilletHead2

The original is worth about $650 million

Thanks - truly hope that we make it back soon, if not even next year, so all the fans, like yourself, who couldn't go will be able to. To me it was similar to the bowl games in many ways: a ton of fun to be around fellow RU fans, cheering on our team and simply being relevant in college sports, which is what bowls and NCAA Tourney appearances mean. Sure, going deeper in the tourney or getting to and winning top shelf bowls is the goal, but being involved and part of the conversation is light years better than being at home after another losing season.
How were your seats? Nuts said stadium suck for site lines.

For both games, it turned out I was a few rows closer than @AreYouNUTS in the same section. The seats were ok, but certainly not as good as my old seats in 205 at the RAC and NUTS and I agree 1000% that basketball games should never be held in football stadiums, as the seats are simply too far away from the action due to the much larger football field.

I’ll have pictures up soon. In the 200s we were probably 75 yards from Centercourt but we were in the corner. If we had kept our seats in the 600 level we were probably going to be 150 yards from the court. You could put MetLife stadium inside this place and there will still be seating above the upper level of MetLife Stadium I swear!! Crazy thing is I think there were suites or offices above the 600 level seats as well! I could be wrong about the exact distances but being in there yesterday that’s at least how it appeared. JP and I were talking about it on the drive back today this place is beyond cavernous. Fantastic facility, don’t get me wrong, but it’s freaking huge!

Thanks, although I don't know art that well, but I do appreciate it. My wife knows a ton more than I do, so I at least have a good tour guide when we go. Might need to page the expert on this one. Dr. Skillet? @SkilletHead2
I know the Art Institute well as I went to high school and grad school in Chicago (Downers Grove North and the University of Chicago respectively). In terms of "art you might know" the Art Institute is hard to beat. The Seurat is gorgeous. I'm also a big fan of a Caillebotte painting called "Paris Street, Rainy Day." I have a couple pages written about that work in my book, (shameless plug alert): Scoundrels, Cads, and Other Great Artists. See here to read some of the book for free: Amazon product ASIN 153812677X
The Seurat painting is called "pointillism" although he preferred the term "divisionism". The Art Institute also has great Monets, Picassos, American Gothic by Grant Wood, Nighthawks by Hopper, Chagall stained glass windows -- what a great place!

Moms Skillethead and I (and a good friend) did a study there a couple years ago where we looked to see how long people spent in front of the works. About 27 seconds is the typical time, even for masterpieces. And almost a third of them take selfies in front of the great works. Pretty funny!

LOVE Chicago!

Best call I made today was not watching or listening to the UMass game - would've killed me on top of the MD loss. Posted in this thread to remind myself how happy I was last year and how I'm so glad I made it to Indy after missing 89 and 91. With the way things are going this year, we may be back down for a year or two. I still like Pikiell as a coach, but he's certainly made some recruiting missteps and needs to do something in the portal this spring to patch some big holes. Sigh.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Hey @Barnaby&Neill and @SkilletHead2 and @reilly171 - finally heading back to Chicago, this time with my wife, for 5 days from Sunday morning through Friday evening. Will definitely reprise the major stops I made, so she can see them too, like the architectural boat tour, the Art Institute, and walking the Magnificent Mile, including checking out all of the cool parks and the Lake, plus will try to return to Johnnie's, Billy Goat's and Malnati's, but add in some other great restaurants, including at least one great steakhouse. Restaurant recommendations are welcome (we love everything from high end to joints).

Also noticed that the Chicago Film Festival is on while we're there, so we'll try to get tickets to see a film or two and I definitely want to see the Science and Industry Museum, the Museum of Architecture and the zoo. That's probably a pretty full plate for 5+ days, but if there are any other recommendations for something we shouldn't miss, let me know.

I am also curious whether it's better to Uber from O'Hare to our hotel (Embassy Suites on Columbus) or to use the CTA; we're not bringing much, so the train wouldn't be a problem, but it looks slower than Uber at least on a Sunday morning (while mass transit is probably the better bet at 5 pm on a Friday to head back to O'Hare - 7:40 pm flight back to EWR). Also, in general, have read that the subway/El system is very good, so we weren't planning on renting a car; if there's somewhere out of the way we want to visit, we can Uber. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hey @Barnaby&Neill and @SkilletHead2 and @reilly171 - finally heading back to Chicago, this time with my wife, for 5 days from Sunday morning through Friday evening. Will definitely reprise the major stops I made, so she can see them too, like the architectural boat tour, the Art Institute, and walking the Magnificent Mile, including checking out all of the cool parks and the Lake, plus will try to return to Johnnie's, Billy Goat's and Malnati's, but add in some other great restaurants, including at least one great steakhouse. Restaurant recommendations are welcome (we love everything from high end to joints).

Also noticed that the Chicago Film Festival is on while we're there, so we'll try to get tickets to see a film or two and I definitely want to see the Science and Industry Museum, the Museum of Architecture and the zoo. That's probably a pretty full plate for 5+ days, but if there are any other recommendations for something we shouldn't miss, let me know.

I am also curious whether it's better to Uber from O'Hare to our hotel (Embassy Suites on Columbus) or to use the CTA; we're not bringing much, so the train wouldn't be a problem, but it looks slower than Uber at least on a Sunday morning (while mass transit is probably the better bet at 5 pm on a Friday to head back to O'Hare - 7:40 pm flight back to EWR). Also, in general, have read that the subway/El system is very good, so we weren't planning on renting a car; if there's somewhere out of the way we want to visit, we can Uber. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I’ll send you some thoughts around lunchtime; where are you staying? (Area wise, no need to share specifics)

I’ll send you some thoughts around lunchtime; where are you staying? (Area wise, no need to share specifics)
Thanks - no rush. We're staying at the Embassy Suites Downtown (buried in the post above), right on Columbus about 2/5 of a mile (no issue for us as we enjoy walking) from what appears to be the nearest subway station at Grand and State and just 2 blocks north of the river and 4 blocks west of the Lakefront. Close to the Swissotel, where I stayed 2 years ago - wife really likes suites, especially if I snore, lol...

Not those posters but was just in Chicago Labor Day Weekend and stayed in River North. Steakhouse I would recommend Gibson's, Bavette's Bar & Boeuf, or Gene & Georgetti. All 3 different types of places so take a look and see which you might like best. Had a great Italian meal at Torchio Pasta Bar. Good coffee and pastries at Beatrix Cafe attached to the AC Hotel. For deep dish I would suggest Pequod's near Lincoln Park and not far from Lincoln Park Zoo (30 minute walk). There are 2 zoos in Chicago one free(Lincoln Park) and closer to Mag Mile and another Brookfield Zoo which is pay. We stopped by the free one and it was nice but a lot of animals were not there. Can take a tour of Wrigley Park.

Lots of great restaurants in West Loop but we had a packed trip and didn't get to that. The architecture boat tour has several operators which I'm sure all tell similar story. Also went to the Chicago Art Institute and really enjoyed it there.

We took Uber both ways from O'Hare and took about an hour south which was weekday traffic. Return back on a Sunday morning was quicker about 40 minutes. We almost took the train but didn't want to deal with walking with our luggage to a L station. We took L to Wrigley and no problems there.

Any more questions from my quick 3 day hitter more than happy to answer.

Pequod's is 100% the place to go for Deep Dish. Three Dots and a Dash if you're into tiki bars. The Aviary for cocktails. Revolution is a great brew pub near Logan Square. Plenty of recs for food as well

Reactions: RU848789 and Zak57
ADVERTISEMENT