ADVERTISEMENT

Many say Paul needs to be more aggressive.

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
The last two games, the opposing defenses have been designed to stop aggressive Paul.
Aggressive Paul results in him getting turned, stuffed, forced to the baseline with no options or a low percentage turn around fadeaway because of a sea of bodies in his path.
Paul popped a perfect momentum towards the basket pull up jumper against Illinois he should be taking 20 times a game when facing a defense that’s hell bent on not allowing him to drive to the basket.
Make the D overplay the shot, it will open up other options.
Michigan State played him incorrectly in the 2nd half and Izzo said as much.
Quality teams are waiting for aggressive Paul imo.
To me aggressive also means shooting

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
The last two games, the opposing defenses have been designed to stop aggressive Paul.
Aggressive Paul results in him getting turned, stuffed, forced to the baseline with no options or a low percentage turn around fadeaway because of a sea of bodies in his path.
Paul popped a perfect momentum towards the basket pull up jumper against Illinois he should be taking 20 times a game when facing a defense that’s hell bent on not allowing him to drive to the basket.
The team scoring options are limited.Paul has height which should be better utilized in taking short jump shots within the foul lane.

I think most agree with you on this.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The team scoring options are limited.Paul has height which should be better utilized in taking short jump shots within the foul lane.
He just needs to take the open shots when he first receives the ball!! Many times he gets the pass and has an open shot and passes it up to either end up with a more difficult shot or he dribbles and has to pass to someone with little time on the shot clock and we don't get a good shot off; He needs to stop the pass first mentality we don't have enough options at this point

Aggressive doesn't have to mean taking the ball to the rim. He needs to take open jumpers, especially from behind the arc, much more often.

As you said, that pull up jumper is there if he wants it. He also frequently gets the ball passed to him with a clear window to shoot a three-pointer, but he isn't even looking for that shot at that point in the shot clock. Every single time he catches the ball out there he should first be looking to shoot, and pulling the trigger if his defender was sagging or went under a screen.

They put bigger guys on him to stop him working in the post, but that should expose them on the perimeter. He has to take advantage of those mismatches

I always learn or see something differently from reading Zap posts. I guess, at least in my case, somebody who's "been there" knows and understands more clearly and simply.

ETA: after re-reading, I sound like a sarcastic loser, so I'll say it more plainly: thank you for your insights, Z...

Bardo said the analytics point against long twos but he likes them if a guy is open. Paul is always looking to set others up. He’s one of the best at that but let’s see if he starts shouting more since he did hit two mid range jumpers against Illinois.

He just needs to take the open shots when he first receives the ball!! Many times he gets the pass and has an open shot and passes it up to either end up with a more difficult shot or he dribbles and has to pass to someone with little time on the shot clock and we don't get a good shot off; He needs to stop the pass first mentality we don't have enough options at this point
Many times he’s the primary ball handler and can take the shot without ever receiving a pass

Bardo said the analytics point against long twos but he likes them if a guy is open. Paul is always looking to set others up. He’s one of the best at that but let’s see if he starts shouting more since he did hit two mid range jumpers against Illinois.
I don’t consider a forward momentum pull up jumper at elbow or foul line a long 2

Reactions: motorb54
I always learn or see something differently from reading Zap posts. I guess, at least in my case, somebody who's "been there" knows and understands more clearly and simply.

ETA: after re-reading, I sound like a sarcastic loser, so I'll say it more plainly: thank you for your insights, Z...
I have no issues or problems with being corrected or told I’m wrong.
I’ve never “been there” with basketball.
My insight is only opinion

• Love
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Paul has historically always looked to pass rather than look for his shot. At this point in his career to look for the assist first is hard wired in him.It’s his default. Difficult to change now.

Agree. One of the ones the OP references who believes Paul has to be more offense minded as a scorer. He is the engine of our offense, but not just as a facilitator. He absolutely has to shoot the ball more frequently from beyond the arc when open and when he gets into the lane… and not hesitate as he often does. This will make our offense more efficient, keep defenses honest and make the offense run smoother. If he misses shots, he can’t let this affect his overall game.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
Agree. He is highly efficient when he gets into the lane and shoots or draws fouls. Doing so will open up opportunities for him to dish off.

Reactions: RUaRealFan
His two point shooting percentage says different.
If they aren’t twisting, contested fadeaways.
If he takes 20 he’ll make 9 or 10 imo
He takes a bunch of contested shots in the lane because he doesn’t take the more open jump shot that’s given to him. Defenses know he doesn’t like to take that shot.

Reactions: Unionst
It’s always a difficult balance between the PG being the facilitator to get his teammates going, Cliff is a huge benefactor from PM’s drive and dishes, and taking pull up mid range shots from the elbows and foul line. Illinois was willing to let PM and Caleb take those shots. they must have watched the MSU game and planned on clogging the paint/not looking to give up layups.

This is the biggest thing. Catch the ball ready to shoot and let it rip if you're open. Unless Cam is open for a catch and shoot, the alternatives are usually worse.

Anyone else notice Caleb has been the passer to Cliff from the foul line area much more frequently.
And Paul is leaking to the corner.

I don’t consider a forward momentum pull up jumper at elbow or foul line a long 2
When we talk about Paul being more aggressive we are talking about him driving more and with PNR with Cliff to shoot more. Damn the analytics. If you listened to Underwood’s presser they played drop coverage on purpose and dared Paul shoot and let Paul shoot and he finally did and for that matter Caleb also did as well. It was the reason we were leading and in control of that game for 25 plus minutes and still up 47-41 when Cliff picked up his 3rd foul. I love mid range shots for all 3 if the three is being taken away from Cam and the defense is giving it to you. If Paul and Caleb and Cam hit 4 mid range 10-16 foot shots per game , droughts wouldn’t happen . Paul does not realize the weapon and nightmare he causes opposing coaches and he lets them off the hook way too much and went away from it at Illinois , costing a chance at a win.

When we talk about Paul being more aggressive we are talking about him driving more and with PNR with Cliff to shoot more. Damn the analytics. If you listened to Underwood’s presser they played drop coverage on purpose and dared Paul shoot and let Paul shoot and he finally did and for that matter Caleb also did as well. It was the reason we were leading and in control of that game for 25 plus minutes and still up 47-41 when Cliff picked up his 3rd foul. I love mid range shots for all 3 if the three is being taken away from Cam and the defense is giving it to you. If Paul and Caleb and Cam hit 4 mid range 10-16 foot shots per game , droughts wouldn’t happen . Paul does not realize the weapon and nightmare he causes opposing coaches and he lets them off the hook way too much and went away from it at Illinois , costing a chance at a win.
So why did we go away from those mid range jumpers in the second half last game?
It should be correctable during a timeout with someone of Paul’s basketball IQ

Reactions: runrutgersrun
So why did we go away from those mid range jumpers in the second half last game?
Absolutely. Then we were in panic mode , stopped passing the ball , went one on one , hardly any screening , missed layups , etc.
Really disappointing the upperclassmen , Paul , Caleb and Cam couldn’t correct it to allow 19-0 run even if Pike didn’t correct it.

We were up 4 at the half, and were up 6 when Hawkins hit a three to cut it to 3 points.... and then Omoruyi was immediately called for his 3rd foul and left the floor.

That's when the offense went off the rails.

We no longer had a post presence. There was no one to dump the ball in to, and Illinois no longer had to worry about passes into the paint - because there was no one there to work on the block. They could stay much closer on our guards and force them to go 1v1, which isn't their strength. Instead of working the ball in toward the basket and out again to the arc, we were reduced to passing and dribbling around the perimeter. Muclahy going to the block allowed for doubles, because Omoruyi/Mag weren't there as outlets when the double came. And with our two best offensive rebounders off the floor, we weren't getting second chance points either.

While Omoruyi was off the floor, Illinois went 12-0.

Reactions: Scangg
Aggressive doesn't have to mean taking the ball to the rim. He needs to take open jumpers, especially from behind the arc, much more often.

As you said, that pull up jumper is there if he wants it. He also frequently gets the ball passed to him with a clear window to shoot a three-pointer, but he isn't even looking for that shot at that point in the shot clock. Every single time he catches the ball out there he should first be looking to shoot, and pulling the trigger if his defender was sagging or went under a screen.

They put bigger guys on him to stop him working in the post, but that should expose them on the perimeter. He has to take advantage of those mismatches
That's would I said above you are 200% correct!!!

Paul isn't a distributor like a traditional PG. We don't have a true PG. Paul's game is old school, the one extra move around the hoop, the short jumper, etc. Occasionally he does find himself open for three, a rare thing because certainly no one else is a distributor either.

Being old school, he is reluctant to take jumpers because he's more comfortable using his size in the lane. It's an old habit he can't easily break.

Agree with you, aggressive means taking shots not forcing what’s not there.

Absolutely. Then we were in panic mode , stopped passing the ball , went one on one , hardly any screening , missed layups , etc.
Really disappointing the upperclassmen , Paul , Caleb and Cam couldn’t correct it to allow 19-0 run even if Pike didn’t correct it.
That’s exactly our season in a nutshell. You see at times during game we do this and it’s mind blowing—we are like a tale of two teams. We look amazing and then we go w hibernation and takes us awhile to break the slump. In many cases it’s too late yet you would expect with upper class man they could course correct.

Reactions: goru7
Paul isn't a distributor like a traditional PG. We don't have a true PG. Paul's game is old school, the one extra move around the hoop, the short jumper, etc. Occasionally he does find himself open for three, a rare thing because certainly no one else is a distributor either.

Being old school, he is reluctant to take jumpers because he's more comfortable using his size in the lane. It's an old habit he can't easily break.
Say what? Paul is an excellent distributor. This is completely inaccurate. See Chop’s post. He nailed the reasoning why things fell apart. Our offense needs post presence to run effectively. That’s Cliff and Mag. We simply don’t have a grea tsubstitute for that. There wasn’t much Paul could do.

Say what? Paul is an excellent distributor. This is completely inaccurate. See Chop’s post. He nailed the reasoning why things fell apart. Our offense needs post presence to run effectively. That’s Cliff and Mag. We simply don’t have a grea tsubstitute for that. There wasn’t much Paul could do.

Mulcahy is very good at putting pressure on defenses to force them to react, and then responding to those defensive shifts to put the ball in the hands of guys who are now more open. Yes, he distributes the ball well - but a lot of that is how well he can work a defense and exploit its weak points.

Without a post threat, defenses don't behave the same way. They don't have to respect threats in the post and can go 1v1 without doubling on guys like Reiber/Wolf. They don't have to worry as much about interior passes for dunks/layups, so that allows them to double penetrating players. Their bigs can provide much more help defense without having to worry so much about Omoruyi/Mag, which makes it much harder for McConnell/Hyatt to get into the paint.

A lot of things break down without a post threat. And we haven't been the sort of team to suddenly pivot to a screening, distance-shooting offense that foregoes an interior presence in favor of getting up a lot of threes and deep twos. Which, for what it's worth, we CAN be if we have a lineup of Mulcahy, Spencer, Palmquist, Hyatt, and Reiber on the floor.... any one of those guys should be able to pull the trigger if open, and we should be able to set screens and staggered screens to get looks.

We'll see what happens in the next few games, because Omoruyi can't play 40 minutes, and we're a very different team without him on the floor.

Reactions: Unionst
Spot on. Very frustrating when he does that , and he does it too often .

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Hyatt just cannot get the easy layup, put back or even a dunk. Anything around the basket he struggles to score. Mind boggling. But we have many issues right now including backing up cliff, cam is cold as ice , Caleb trying to put the O on his shoulders , Paul not playing like Paul , Simpson not shooting well and on and on.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Hyatt just cannot get the easy layup, put back or even a dunk. Anything around the basket he struggles to score. Mind boggling. But we have many issues right now including backing up cliff, cam is cold as ice , Caleb trying to put the O on his shoulders , Paul not playing like Paul , Simpson not shooting well and on and on.
Yes! what we need is a home game against a cooperative opponent who struggles on the road so these guys can get back on track... HEY!!!

Say what? Paul is an excellent distributor. This is completely inaccurate. See Chop’s post. He nailed the reasoning why things fell apart. Our offense needs post presence to run effectively. That’s Cliff and Mag. We simply don’t have a greasubt sstitute for that. There wasn’t much Paul could do.
No, is not a distributor in the PG sense. Re-read what I said. He can back down smaller guys and pass when drawing extra defenders in the lane, but that's not the same thing.

You should. It’s generally accepted as such in the basketball community. There are tiers to non-dunk/lay-up 2pt fgas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT