ADVERTISEMENT

Martin Twins to Nevada

I was not in love with the concept of 2 players being joined together and needing to keep both happy. Obviously with the transfer they demonstrated they take action when not satisfied.

Time will tell, but this could have been a blessing in disguise. In addition, it is possible Pikiell was honest and upfront and the twins liked what Nevada was selling them better.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Who knows ?

They were offered so the HC would disagree with you.

What we don't know is how they were offered.

It is possible the Nevada coach could have said you guys are going to be the focal point of our team and Pikiell could have said they fit in well with Laurent and Thiam and 2 starting spots were possible, but certainly not a given.

This is why I want a big name coach selling Rutgers and only Rutgers when this program has been nothing but a dumpster fire is going to be very tough to overcome.

Anyway, this has always been a no lose situation for us. Now its time to fill the roster with 5th year transfers and let our top shelf set of assistant coaches spend a full year building the relationships for 2017.
I like the hire of Coach Pikiell. But a Big Ten team losing a head-to-head recruiting battle to a Mountain West team says a lot about the current state of our program and the aspirations of the recruited players and the people who help them with their decision-making. Truthfully, a big name coach would not have been pursuing the Martin twins. They are not huge difference-makers in the Big Ten.

And like we always said, having a team that plays four years together. When was the last time we had a team that at least played 2-3 years together?Or a starting five that played 2-3 years together?Forever.

I like the hire of Coach Pikiell. But a Big Ten team losing a head-to-head recruiting battle to a Mountain West team says a lot about the current state of our program and the aspirations of the recruited players and the people who help them with their decision-making. Truthfully, a big name coach would not have been pursuing the Martin twins. They are not huge difference-makers in the Big Ten.

Want a little faith?At least we can have faith in a coach that has actually won before. Jordan we were all guessing. Pikiell has won a lot. For that, I have faith.

Not sure if you've seen the UNR campus, lately, but they've been spending tons of money on infrastructure -- new dorms, new classroom buildings, etc. It's a huge change from about 20 years ago. Reno has a small-town feel, and when you look out from campus and see the snow on the top of the eastern edge of the Sierras, and know that Lake Tahoe is about 30-45 minutes away, I'm sure it has it's own pull. Plus the team has had decent success. Good for them.

Was never happy with the idea of "both" being a packaged deal. The fans will never know why RU lost out on them, but I'm fine with this. Use this year to get the sea-legs of the program established and use 2017 as the springboard for getting some solid players. With the pedigree of this coaching staff, I would definitely trust any choices they've made.

I was looking over some stats and noticed these guys are both killing it at Nevada this year. Caleb's scored 20+ points in four of six games, and Cody's been 10+ in all six. Both have been really efficient. Not top-flight competition but they've beaten top-100 teams in Rhode Island and Davidson. I get why they went to Nevada as they're the favorite to win that league and go dancing.

OTOH with them using two scholarships last season we probably don't get Gettys and Omoruyi, so there's that.

I was looking over some stats and noticed these guys are both killing it at Nevada this year. Caleb's scored 20+ points in four of six games, and Cody's been 10+ in all six. Both have been really efficient. Not top-flight competition but they've beaten top-100 teams in Rhode Island and Davidson. I get why they went to Nevada as they're the favorite to win that league and go dancing.

OTOH with them using two scholarships last season we probably don't get Gettys and Omoruyi, so there's that.

Love Gene, but I would of much rather have the Martin twins

Not surprised. Nevada already had several transfers from very good schools. The Martin twins really were an important ingredient in Nevada's success and one of the reasons they're in in the Sweet 16.

Last edited:
Boys and girls--we offered 38 players for 2018--and signed 3. Unless you are UK, Duke or of nearly that level, you are not going to get the vast majority of the players you seek. We offer many and hope to sign a few. They offer a few and sign them. Way it works. Yet every time--and it has been that way for years--a player the board wanted goes elsewhere, there is turmoil on the board. Almost as if some posters were already counting on that player being at RU, and it is a huge disappointment when he signs elsewhere, leading to recriminations, rationalization--you name it. Saw it when we didn't get every grad transfer mentioned the last couple of years. What will the board reaction be if Mulcahy, after all the effort the staff has made, goes to, say, Nova? Look at their track record compared to ours. Recruiting is tough--especially if you don't follow Louisville's example and cheat.
TL

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Boys and girls--we offered 38 players for 2018--and signed 3. Unless you are UK, Duke or of nearly that level, you are not going to get the vast majority of the players you seek. We offer many and hope to sign a few. They offer a few and sign them. Way it works. Yet every time--and it has been that way for years--a player the board wanted goes elsewhere, there is turmoil on the board. Almost as if some posters were already counting on that player being at RU, and it is a huge disappointment when he signs elsewhere, leading to recriminations, rationalization--you name it. Saw it when we didn't get every grad transfer mentioned the last couple of years. What will the board reaction be if Mulcahy, after all the effort the staff has made, goes to, say, Nova? Look at their track record compared to ours. Recruiting is tough--especially if you don't follow Louisville's example and cheat.
TL
Recruiting is tough when you have consecutive losing seasons and players that you recruit have choices from schools that are successful.

TL
Thanks for the Mulcahy jinx...

Guess you believe that commentators can jinx free throw shooters by saying they shoot 88%. Have not been any for real jinxes since the Spinks Jinx.
TL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT