ADVERTISEMENT

MATCH THREAD: RU Wrestlers at Michigan, 7 pm, BTN+, lineups, stories:

IMO- RU losing both swing bouts of JVB and Correnti was the biggest difference AND RU Hammers Ashnault and Gravina failing to Pin or TF over unranked , not even very tough opponents, hurt RU's chances.

Gravina came close to back points and a Major.

Ashnault, IMO, just appears to be a good technician, happy to win decisions over very inferior opponents. He is not a hammer in any sense of the word.

Wonder why Ash lacks that killer instinct at times.

He appears to be a take down techinician, without the strength, tenacity ,or skills to turn opponents as good as he is. Doubt he ever rises higher than 5-7 in the Nationals, but still the best RU has ever had (except for Leta, who came in 2nd).

I think 152 Stephan Glasgow could better.

Leta was 3rd to correct you. Wrestle Stat had it 19-14 Michigan with Ash and Gravina with majors and Theo and Gross winning decisions. Pretty accurate.

Reactions: Jaroslav Hasek
Well we did split our toss up matches with Illinois and Michigan. Won the home one, lost the road one. Sucks as far as placement for NWCA duals, but I guarantee we thrash Sparty in 2 days to take out some frustration.

He's been wrestling much stronger as of late though.
But that doesn't change that he looks gassed every match.
He appears to be a take down techinician, without the strength, tenacity ,or skills to turn opponents as good as he is. Doubt he ever rises higher than 5-7 in the Nationals, but still the best RU has ever had (except for Leta, who came in 2nd).

What are you talking about? He already took 4th last year & has the potential to win it all. Just stop.

Leonard, I don't disagree. It's just that he was starting to make some great progress and he took a slight step back tonight. No worries. He's a true freshman who cut a ton of weight, but this hurts him going into B1G tourney.

Abro, not to pile on but I think you went a bit to far there. Ash definitely looked a bit laid back in the 3rd, but that guy pretty much wrestled not to get turned for 2 periods. Ash probably should have cut him sooner. The guy is pretty much a guarantee win every match.

But that doesn't change that he looks gassed every match.

What are you talking about? He already took 4th last year & has the potential to win it all. Just stop.

Kevin Jack, Matt Kolodzik have left him in the rear view window, sorry. Heil & McKenna miles ahead. Been watching him since he's a freshmen at S Plainfield, and his left leg/ankle pick that he beat Gary Dinmore with for his last title in AC still seems to be the only thing he relies on. Hope he proves me wrong, but 7 years of watching him, and watching the other 141 pounders the last 2 years lead me to this conclusion. He's close to Jack and Kolodzik, but think they have more mental toughness, strength and a few more moves. He's not even close anymore to Heil and McKenna. He'll probably wrestle Joey Ward for 5th in St Louis.
He'll be a 4 year All American at Rutgers which is phenomenal. Just thought he might contend for the Title, which I now think is pretty much a long, long shot.
The team needed him very much tonight to step up, and in a hostile envirement, he was just ok. Average. Did not rise to the occassion.

Reactions: Passe24
Would have liked to see Delvecchio wrestle Micic closer. Take more risks and be more aggressive in that situation. Sat back a little too much.

What it boiled down to was losing the two critical toss up matches at 157 and 197. Win 1 of those 2 and it comes down to criteria, which I don't know if RU or UM would've won if it was based on tiebreaker criteria. Not getting bonus points out of Ash or Gravina hurt too. Oh well...lets just whip Sparty on Sunday.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Kevin Jack, Matt Kolodzik have left him in the rear view window, sorry. Heil & McKenna miles ahead. Been watching him since he's a freshmen at S Plainfield, and his left leg/ankle pick that he beat Gary Dinmore with for his last title in AC still seems to be the only thing he relies on. Hope he proves me wrong, but 7 years of watching him, and watching the other 141 pounders the last 2 years lead me to this conclusion. He's close to Jack and Kolodzik, but think they have more mental toughness, strength and a few more moves. He's not even close anymore to Heil and McKenna. He'll probably wrestle Joey Ward for 5th in St Louis.
He'll be a 4 year All American at Rutgers which is phenomenal. Just thought he might contend for the Title, which I now think is pretty much a long, long shot.
The team needed him very much tonight to step up, and in a hostile envirement, he was just ok. Average. Did not rise to the occassion.
I enjoy your enthusiasm but I disagree with you on this one. Profaci has not been majored this year and has wrestled some good competition. As far as being left behind I disagree. I do agree Jack is a bad match up for Ash but it's certainly not mental toughness he's lacking. He's right there with everyone and not much separating anyone in the top 6. He has to have patience with Heil because he's all counters not much offense. Same with Kolodzik. I do agree if he was able to get to 133 that would put him right at the top. I still believe if he's on come tournament time he has just as good as chance as anyone else. I do enjoy your posts and updates. Thanks

Correnti would have had to have won by 6 or more for RU to win by criteria.
That makes me feel a bit better knowing even if we tied it wouldn't have been enough. We split our toss up duals, now lets just take care of business the rest of the way to get a good National Dual opponent and set ourselves up for success in the B1G tourney.

Honestly Ash isn't a bonus machine but he does get them fairly often...more often then #1HEIL. Like seriously HEIL will just decision some guys he is vastly better then but he gets the job done and just wins. Just cuz Ash doesn't bonus every wrestler he should doesn't mean he still isn't elite.. He's still very much in the title picture imo... a game Ash is a dangerous draw for any wrestler come NCAA time.

I enjoy your enthusiasm but I disagree with you on this one. Profaci has not been majored this year and has wrestled some good competition. As far as being left behind I disagree. I do agree Jack is a bad match up for Ash but it's certainly not mental toughness he's lacking. He's right there with everyone and not much separating anyone in the top 6. He has to have patience with Heil because he's all counters not much offense. Same with Kolodzik. I do agree if he was able to get to 133 that would put him right at the top. I still believe if he's on come tournament time he has just as good as chance as anyone else. I do enjoy your posts and updates. Thanks
I got Ash beating Kolodzik the next match and u guys are nuts if u think Ash can make 33.... Ash would tower over Tomasello whom I don't think Ash could beat if he had to suck all the way down to 33 even if it was possible. I'm the one thinking maybe Ash could go to 149 next year(yes i think he has the frame for it; if Zain can make it then Ash could) and u guys saying if he could make 33 smh

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Abro a passionate fan and wears his emotions on his sleeve. That and too much to drink during these matches makes him say some crazy things during these matches. I think this morning you see another apology just like after the PSU match when he said some really crazy stuff about PSU.

In his mind Ash should be a Zain, Nolf, Nickal and pin everyone. The reality is those 3 are very special and a different level.

You give me Heil, Jack, McKenna, Ward, Ash, Koldzik put them against each other and anyone one of them can come out on top. Just depends who comes ready to wrestle that day. This is Ash best weight to win a national title and I hope he does

First, Abro, I apologize for calling you an idiot last night. Emotional sport and I always have AA's back.

I will address a few things-AA is not a 133lber, he cannot make that weight(if the weight class was 139lbs he might not even make that). And this is not speculation.

Last night-it is not easy to bonus legit D-1 wrestlers, which Profaci is. Secondly, AA worked his butt off the first and second period on top trying to turn Profaci---which is exhausting. Plus factor in the home crowd and Profaci has very good gas tank.

Jack and Kolodzik have AA in rear view mirror-not a chance, AA lost 2-0 and a one point match(the famed penalty point) a month ago. Not sure how you can say Jack is so far ahead of him. 141 is wide open, the healthiest and wrestler who gets on a roll at Nationals will come out on top in St. Louis.

Off to watch High School matches.

some of you guys should wait a day before posting after Rutgers dual losses

Probably the best post of the thread.

We all get caught up but realize this is a team starting 2 true freshman with JVB coming out of nowhere after Lewis goes down. Honestly, does anybody have Van Brill taking over for Lewis and beating Murphy 2 months ago? You could see their styles last night were too complimentary so it was a tough draw for him. 165 and HWT are still huge question marks and 174 is turning into a rollercoaster. Through all that we are still a solid middle tier B1G squad which is not a bad thing. We had an opportunity to knock these guys off if we were at our best. We weren't. It happens.

No doubt we wrestled flat last night. Not enough spark and their guys knew how to wrestle defensive enough against our top guys avoiding bonus points. Sometimes I wish Ash would just go after it sometimes. A little more urgency and he holds serve vs the Princeton kid. Oh well. It's who he is. This team truly feeds off the RAC so looking forward to knocking out Mich St and coming back home. Let's get ready for the B1G and root for Ash to get back to back titles.

About Ashnault. I have no idea where some of these posts came from last night and why. Are we really going to try and pick apart his career like that? I'm actually embarrassed by some of the comments. They were not needed. I get frustrated with his ho hum style sometimes but fact is he is are ONLY hammer. He mauled that kid on top for like 3+ min. Just couldn't turn him. The kid doesn't have the personality of a Perrotti. Maybe that's what people want. He's a focused kid who goes out and does his business... almost EVERY match. No crazy funk and doesn't take huge chances. Sometimes that leads to closer scores vs tomatoes (to use a Creedo term.)

Anybody who watched that match last night could see he was the superior wrestler. Kid had nothing for him. He was strong enough to fight getting turned but had one goal... get close to the edge and start a flurry. Ash got a little frustrated at the end and finished flat. Absolutely nothing further to read into. The guy is a near lock to win any match outside of maybe the top 3-4 guys. He will go down as the best kid to ever step foot on a RU mat and deserves a hell of a lot more respect than some of the things written here. Maybe he never wins it all. Oh well.

Last edited:
@Abro1975 after reading through the thread I realize you are getting a ton of heat. Nothing personal as you are obviously a die hard. Never had a problem with you as a poster. Let's just be more cognizant of what Ash means to this program. I put myself in that category as I can get frustrated as well.

Guys, I have a thick skin, and like to banter like most others who follow sports, so no problems here. And if my comments last night offended anyone, well.. lol, maybe you'll like my comments tomorrow better.

Promo team video from a few days ago:

Michigan match story from NJcom (no Coach G interview) :

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._big_ten_toss-up_matc.html#incart_river_index

Guess the team buses to East Lansing today for tomorrow's meet vs Michigan St. Get back in the win column.
Will watch our match and the Iowa v Ohio st matches again a bit later today. I"m sure wrestling on the road in a sold out hostile Michigan arena is a lot different than the friendly , supporting confines of the RAC.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I"m sure wrestling on the road in a sold out hostile Michigan arena is a lot different than the friendly , supporting confines of the RAC.

There is no doubt in my mind that RU wins this same matchup, of this year's teams RU vs UM, if wrestled at the RAC. Goodale needs to do a better job and figure out a way to get RU to wrestle better on the road and in tough environments. This is his next hurdle to overcome with this program, on the mat, in order to move up to the next level in this conference.

There is no doubt in my mind that RU wins this same matchup, of this year's teams RU vs UM, if wrestled at the RAC. Goodale needs to do a better job and figure out a way to get RU to wrestle better on the road and in tough environments. This is his next hurdle to overcome with this program, on the mat, in order to move up to the next level in this conference.
I think Goodale will crack that code soon enough. He has us as a winning program in the B1G already. Only a matter of time before he learns how to coach RU to a B1G road upset vs a top team like Michigan.

Profaci knocked off #11 Randy Cruz today. NJ product is coming along nicely for Michigan.

Just to make it clear :
We have thousands of Rutgers wrestling fans and we treat our wrestlers with a ton of respect and support.
A couple responses to this thread mentioned fans disrespecting Ash, but that is so far from the truth. Abro is a really good fan and that was probably the only time any of the thousands of our fans have ever criticized him - and abro's comments were emotional and based on his very high expectations for our wrestler.
No harm .
Let's get back on track and keep this thing moving forward

(Ash represents Nj wrestling and we as a fan base are living every one of his matches - which is an awesome thing for both the wrestler and the fan)

Reactions: RUGrapple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT