ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: Rutgers vs. Illinois

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
Rutgers wrestling is back at the Jersey Mike's Arena for some more Big Ten action! The Scarlet Knights are set to take on the Illinois Fighting Illini in just a few minutes. TKR is here to give you match-by-match updates once things get under way.

For those of you did not see it earlier, Jackson Turley announced he will be having season ending surgery. Meaning, Connor O'neill will start at 174-lbs for Rutgers tonight, and most likely, for the rest of the season. Prior to the Turley announcement, I had Rutgers winning this one 19 - 13, but with Turley out, this will make things a bit tougher for Rutgers.

First whistle is coming shortly, so stay tuned for TKR's live updates. For those of you at home, you can watch the dual on BTN+

Alright, it's show time!

Wrestling will begin at 125-lbs, where Dylan Shawver will take on Justin Cardani in a HUGE toss up bout to kick things off

Great way to finish the 1st by Shawver! Nice slide by and finished on top.

Shawver pushing the pace here, and gets Cardani warned for stalling. Shawver then gets to a collar tie to shrug Cardani by for the takedown. Period ends not long after. Shawever leads 2 - 0.

Shawver starts the second period on bottom

Shawver with a smooth gramby roll off a Cardani mat return to get an escape. Period ends not long after, with Shawver holding a 3 - 0 lead going into the third.

Cardani chooses neutral, and holds over a minute of RT

True freshman Joey Olivieri takes the mat for Rutgers at 133-lbs against Illinois' Lucas Byrd

Byrd does a good job keeping Olivieri down with several mat returns. Period ends with Byrd on top, leading 2 - 0.

Olivieri starts the second period on defense

Olivieri able to escape after 50 seconds on bottom, making it 2-1, Byrd

Byrd able to finish the period on top, holding a 4 - 1 lead.

Byrd chooses defense

Byrd gets a reversal on the edge. Don't know if I agree with that call.

Byrd leads 6 - 1

Byrd with another takedown to make it 8 - 2, then gets four back points off a turk. The period ends, and Byrd wins 13 - 2 with the RT point.

4 - 3 Illinois

Oliveri fought hard but was completely outclassed by Byrd. Drops a 13-2 MD. No shame in that.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Someone please tell me there’s a legitimate reason Duncan isn’t wrestling for Illinois

Rivera stands up Rachal to get back to work on his feet. Rivera leading 2-1

Rivera just bullies Rachal over for a takedown. Rachal was on ice skates for all three minutes.

Rivera leads 5-1, and he will start the second period on top

Rachal hit with his fourth stall, which makes it a two-point stall. Period ends with Rivera on top, leading 8 - 1. Rivera needs one more stall to get the DQ.

Riverea chooses neutral

Rivera gets the takedown and cuts Rachal. He follows it up with another takedown and cuts Rachal again. 12 - 3 Rivera with 1:25 left

Rivera with the takedown and cut to make it 14 - 4. Slide-by after that to make it 16 - 4 Rivera

These refs are awful and Rachal is absolutely pathetic.

the fact they called a stall on Rivera after this dude is running out of bounds and laying down when no one is touching up is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen.

Rivera lets Rachal up to make it 16 - 5. Rivera scores immediately to make it 18 - 5. Rivera cuts Rachal to make it 18 - 6. Rachal shoots and Riverea scores again. Rivera is really frustrated here. The ref then calls a stall on Rivera!? Oh my goodness... Rivera gets the takedown on the edge for the technical fall. Good grief that was some poor officiating.

Rutgers leads 8 - 4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT