ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: Rutgers vs. Illinois

McDermott unable to get out, with the score remaining 3 - 2, Luffman.

Luffman starting the third on bottom

Luffman with the takedown to ice the match. The RT point will give him the 7 - 2 win.

Rutgers wins the dual 21 - 13! That makes Rutgers 12 - 1 this season and 2 - 1 in Big Ten competition!

Reactions: RUTrack94
Boone keeps it close … on to PSU … hopefully RU can snag a few wins

Why did we challenge locked hands and not an escape point. Boone was out and clearly deserved 1 point. Shaking my head here/

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I had no idea Boone only weighs 233 lbs.
You need some serious Kyle Snyder talent to win at that weight

Imagine giving up 40 pound's to Gable Steveson?

Reactions: njsportsphan
Do you realize we had 6 freshmen in the lineup tonight? Shawver, Olivieri, Kannaird, Clark, O’Neil and Poz. Like having them all for 3 more years!
3 of those guys on technicality but yes in general this is a very young team with a ton of potential. They’ll all be sophomores next year, as will Turley, Janzer, and Raimo (if they get the medical waiver), plus adding freshmen in Peterson, White, Kyonte, Casale, and Soldano. I believe the only senior on the roster barring transfers would be Esposito. Insane young depth and hopefully a competitive practice room.

Great win against a tough team. They whooped us in at our outing and it was great to see Rutgers win it. Illinois making "shush" gestures took the L.

Shawver pushing the pace here, and gets Cardani warned for stalling. Shawver then gets to a collar tie to shrug Cardani by for the takedown. Period ends not long after. Shawever leads 2 - 0.

Shawver starts the second period on bottom
When Shawver wrestles aggressively, he is a much different wrestler. Experience on the B1G mat these last two matches (I know, short sample size) seems to be bringing out his confidence. Watch the Whisky match again. First two periods vs. the third. Two different wrestlers. Shawver needs to wrestle like the third period of Whiskey all the time.
Rachal hit with a second stall call to make it 3-1, Rivera
This dude forgot it was folk style I think. He would have nailed the defensive on the freestyle circuit.
These refs are awful and Rachal is absolutely pathetic.

the fact they called a stall on Rivera after this dude is running out of bounds and laying down when no one is touching up is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen.
Rivera was going forward and pushed him out of bounds and he got hit with the call.
Unfreakin real.

A beast on top ..once he gets legs in it’s near impossible to get out
Punishing ride once he gets the double boots in. He's been a beast for us at '97.
Great win against a tough team. They whooped us in at our outing and it was great to see Rutgers win it. Illinois making "shush" gestures took the L.
Yeah..two guys did it (at least). The first one, I semi get. He was waiting out his win at the end of third period with a dominant ride and looked at the clock with about 10ish seconds left. One of our fans yelled out to him about watching the clock which was a little odd. So he "shushed" him. A little well deserved for our RU heckler I thought at the time. The second "shusher" won his match but we were up decently in the team score at the time. I didnt get the reason for that one.

Hoping that move stays legal this year
It should be legal but it should result in a stalemate if the top guy isn’t improving. Daton Fox got called for it in the finals against Suriano after about 15 seconds. I think that’s a good approximation of how much time you should be allowed with double boots if the position isn’t getting improved.

It should be legal but it should result in a stalemate if the top guy isn’t improving. Daton Fox got called for it in the finals against Suriano after about 15 seconds. I think that’s a good approximation of how much time you should be allowed with double boots if the position isn’t getting improved.
Much agreed on that. Bulsak works the hell out of it and attempts to improve. Fix threw them in and wanted to hold on for dear life till the buzzer sounded. I believe the announcers addressed the quick stalemate call in the finals, saying because of the shortened, 30 second OT, the whistle was warranted. The best part of the stalemate call other than Suriano winning the NC because of it? The bewildered look on John Smith's face while he scratched his head like it was overcome with dandruff and lice.

When Shawver wrestles aggressively, he is a much different wrestler. Experience on the B1G mat these last two matches (I know, short sample size) seems to be bringing out his confidence. Watch the Whisky match again. First two periods vs. the third. Two different wrestlers. Shawver needs to wrestle like the third period of Whiskey all the time.

This dude forgot it was folk style I think. He would have nailed the defensive on the freestyle circuit.

Rivera was going forward and pushed him out of bounds and he got hit with the call.
Unfreakin real.
There's your reason for the stalling call. All the previous action in the bout is irrelevant.

Ecstatic that RU won this match … looking ahead to the matchups … if Nick Lee was wrestling PSU has a shot at a shut out … even Poz and Bulsak are going against higher ranked wrestlers. Don’t expect a win but don’t want to see a 33-3 stomping.

The stall call goes against guy going out of bounds
I think the Illini kid should have been banged a bunch more times, but the ref made the correct call against Rivera. He used both hands to push the kid out.

Art. 5. Neutral Position Stalling. When competing in the neutral position, neither wrestler may cause an unnecessary restart by forcing an out-of-bounds call by the referee. Each wrestler shall attempt to work toward the center of the mat and continue wrestling in an attempt to secure a takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. When wrestling is stopped in the neutral position for going out of bounds, one of the following three calls shall be made (see Referee Signals in Appendix B for proper referee signals): a. Stalling by one or both wrestlers for leaving the wrestling area; b. Stalling for pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds; or

I think the Illini kid should have been banged a bunch more times, but the ref made the correct call against Rivera. He used both hands to push the kid out.

Art. 5. Neutral Position Stalling. When competing in the neutral position, neither wrestler may cause an unnecessary restart by forcing an out-of-bounds call by the referee. Each wrestler shall attempt to work toward the center of the mat and continue wrestling in an attempt to secure a takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. When wrestling is stopped in the neutral position for going out of bounds, one of the following three calls shall be made (see Referee Signals in Appendix B for proper referee signals): a. Stalling by one or both wrestlers for leaving the wrestling area; b. Stalling for pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds; or
Sounds right if the guy going out hasn’t been on his bike ALL night. Sometimes common sense has to come into play ( Do you think Rivera was looking for stoppage)

I still don’t understand and pulling Oliveri RS. Especially now with Turley out. Has a very tough B10 schedule coming up. Asking a lot.

I still don’t understand and pulling Oliveri RS. Especially now with Turley out. Has a very tough B10 schedule coming up. Asking a lot.
A kid’s college wrestling career trajectory coming out of HS is extremely unpredictable. I used to think that all freshmen should red shirt for the obvious benefits, with the hopes of four years at the varsity level. I now believe that it is too unpredictable, and if a kid is ready to win to an extent, can help the team, and especially if he can start, he should be competing now. How many kids have we seen go through our program red shirt first year and then, four more years of competing at a high level. Of course there are some (Ashnault) but Not many. That’s how I want to see it in a perfect world, but it’s just not realistic. Also I think big 10 dual, B10 tournament, and potentially NCAA tournament experience will be invaluable for him next year and in the coming years.

There's your reason for the stalling call. All the previous action in the bout is irrelevant.
What reason? Rivera was being aggressive and moving forward...just like he was all match. If stalling was the actual call, there was no reason I saw all match for Rivera to be hit with that call.

The problem was the kid was skating backwards the entire match. Rivera extends his arms and he gets banged for the call? By the rule, I get it. When the Illini was flat on the mat, doing nothing, with Seabass sitting on his back, the refs swallowed the whistle.
A kid’s college wrestling career trajectory coming out of HS is extremely unpredictable. I used to think that all freshmen should red shirt for the obvious benefits, with the hopes of four years at the varsity level. I now believe that it is too unpredictable, and if a kid is ready to win to an extent, can help the team, and especially if he can start, he should be competing now. How many kids have we seen go through our program red shirt first year and then, four more years of competing at a high level. Of course there are some (Ashnault) but Not many. That’s how I want to see it in a perfect world, but it’s just not realistic. Also I think big 10 dual, B10 tournament, and potentially NCAA tournament experience will be invaluable for him next year and in the coming years.
If they are ready (or even near) and the team needs him, I say let him wrestle. Redshirts can always be used in the future if a wrestler gets injured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT