ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: Rutgers vs. Illinois

Olivieri already had 16 matches I think when we pulled his shirt. That is almost a full season for some kids. If you listened to Goodale in his press conference he said Joey was dying to compete in dual meets.

The problem was the kid was skating backwards the entire match. Rivera extends his arms and he gets banged for the call? By the rule, I get it. When the Illini was flat on the mat, doing nothing, with Seabass sitting on his back, the refs swallowed the whistle.

If they are ready (or even near) and the team needs him, I say let him wrestle. Redshirts can always be used in the future if a wrestler gets injured.
Hey I am not really disagreeing.....the ref was not wrong, but not sure he needed to call it. And as I said, that kid could/should have been stalled out.

Agree about redshirting....if you are the best guy at the weight, be the starter. You can redshirt later if needed......never can tell if you will be as healthy as you are as a freshman later on. College wrestling grinds guys up with injuries.

You would hope that he would be eager to start. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best thing for the athlete. Of course I could be wrong. Hope I am. A year in the room and with the weights can make a difference.

I think the Illini kid should have been banged a bunch more times, but the ref made the correct call against Rivera. He used both hands to push the kid out.

Art. 5. Neutral Position Stalling. When competing in the neutral position, neither wrestler may cause an unnecessary restart by forcing an out-of-bounds call by the referee. Each wrestler shall attempt to work toward the center of the mat and continue wrestling in an attempt to secure a takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. When wrestling is stopped in the neutral position for going out of bounds, one of the following three calls shall be made (see Referee Signals in Appendix B for proper referee signals): a. Stalling by one or both wrestlers for leaving the wrestling area; b. Stalling for pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds; or
Seb was called for stalling here is the ruling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT