ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Zona - 2020 Big Picks up Rutgers Offer

Game reminds me of.....Kevin Love. Lol. He would certainly be a good player with the way the game is going.

I know he is young but look at his rebounding numbers for his first 2 years:

1st yr = .6 per game

2nd yr = 1.3 per game

One would think that a guy 6'9" could accidently have more rebounds then that.

Where are you pulling the numbers from? I think I saw those on nj.com and I’d have to guess that box scores for many of the games were not fully submitted or uploaded properly.

There’s an on the banks article from last year mentioning him going on an unofficial with a lot of targets.

Pikiell needs to go 3 for 3 for Jersey players...Harper to Mulcahy to Zona.

A 6'9" Big that can step out and hit Three's !!!! Count me in.

I hope Notre Dame stays away.

I would assume that Zona develops into that stretch 4 that eventually puts the ball on the floor....but his shooting is enough as a pick and pop guy already.....2 year until he hits college and looks comfortable shooting l.

Where are you pulling the numbers from? I think I saw those on nj.com and I’d have to guess that box scores for many of the games were not fully submitted or uploaded properly.

There’s an on the banks article from last year mentioning him going on an unofficial with a lot of targets.
If they are pulling stats from N.J.com those numbers are as inaccurate as it can get. One year in softball the leader in batting average was hitting 1200.

Game reminds me of.....Kevin Love. Lol. He would certainly be a good player with the way the game is going.

And Higs...those are Sophmore highlights. He will only improve. Good that Pikiell got in early on him.

We need a Stretch 4 really bad. The type of guys Iowa, Wisky, NWU get. I always get upset when I see other programs that have bigs that can step out and shoot it and Rutgers can never seem to get one.

Last edited:
And Higs...those are Sophmore highlights. He will only improve. Good that Pikiell got in early on him.

We need a Stretch 4 really bad. The type of guys Iowa, Wisky, NWU get. I always get upset when I see other programs that have bigs that can step out and shoot it and Rutgers can never seem to get one.
Thiam is supposed to fill the role of a 6'9'' player who can make 3 pointers.

Matt looks pretty good. Some guys don't understand NJ.com stats. They list 23 games for him as a soph this past season. He made 13 threes in those games and scored 266 points and 11.6 ppg. Rebounds are only listed when the person reporting gives those results to the Ledger. The Ledger only had rebounds listed for 5 games or 6.0 per game. That isn't bad for a soph and considering that high school games are only 32 minutes long.

Omoruyi will be that guy IMHO. He’s a potential stud.
I hope you're right but his outside shooting is the weakest part of his game right now. Hopefully he's working on that part of his game this summer.

Reactions: linzalonic
I know he is young but look at his rebounding numbers for his first 2 years:

1st yr = .6 per game

2nd yr = 1.3 per game

One would think that a guy 6'9" could accidently have more rebounds then that.

Or they only kept rebounds a few games and they kept game played stats every game.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Don’t see Eugene becoming a 3 point shooter but anywhere inside the arc he should be able to do.

The kids is very very good and his game is exploding

With three ships to give for the class of 2020, replacing carter, thiam ans Eugene, one of those ships must be a PF

He will high on the priority list for one of those three ships

I would assume that Zona develops into that stretch 4 that eventually puts the ball on the floor....but his shooting is enough as a pick and pop guy already.....2 year until he hits college and looks comfortable shooting l.
The kids is very very good and his game is exploding

With three ships to give for the class of 2020, replacing carter, thiam ans Eugene, one of those ships must be a PF

He will high on the priority list for one of those three ships

The timing of the ship makes me think he is a priority recruit for Pike.

Absolutely love Eugene but this will never happen. I hope to never see him shoot a three. He is not an outside shooter whatsoever

Eugene has a knack for driving to the basket from the foul line area. If he can add a short mid-range shot that would help his offensive game.

I dont see him taking any 3 point shots....maybe a few during the year.

Reactions: Scangg
He has some skill for his age. The stroke looks nice. He needs to develop more around the rim, but you can see he has very good instincts. My only nit pick is that he doesn't get squared on his shots closer to the basket. But damn he is young and you can tell he is only going to better. I hope to you see you in Scarlet in a couple years.

Absolutely love Eugene but this will never happen. I hope to never see him shoot a three. He is not an outside shooter whatsoever

Eugene has a knack for driving to the basket from the foul line area. If he can add a short mid-range shot that would help his offensive game.

I dont see him taking any 3 point shots....maybe a few during the year.
He's great at the high post foul line area. He can take it to the basket and make plays from there. A short mid range shot is what he needs to work on. Three point shot is a different story. It's not his game and never will be

Matt Zona is visiting 3 ivies Brown UPenn and Yale as well as St. Joes this month

wow, seems like he's going to be a big-time recruit. The key for us is that Pikiell has been all over the class of 2020. The good news is that so many kids 2020 are visiting and good ones too so we might have choices we have never had in the past. Kids like Matt might have to make decisions or lose the spot and that's nothing against Matt. That's just what happens when your program gets better and better respect.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT