ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Pernetti Interview with Matt Doherty - Must Listen

LeapinLou

Heisman Winner
Jul 25, 2001
Matt Doherty had Tim Pernetti as a guest on his latest podcast. This is well worth your time. Especially the first half where he goes more in depth than ever before about getting RU into the Big 10, and the Mike Rice stuff. Some really good life lessons in here as well.

Matt Doherty had Tim Pernetti as a guest on his latest podcast. This is well worth your time. Especially the first half where he goes more in depth than ever before about getting RU into the Big 10, and the Mike Rice stuff. Some really good life lessons in here as well.

I’ll take a listen. Always felt like both him and Rice got such a raw deal in the media for that. Not saying it was okay or right but the fallout seemed to be outsized for the actual actions which I deemed somewhat relatable to experiences some of us might’ve had with a coach or two growing up.

I’ll take a listen. Always felt like both him and Rice got such a raw deal in the media for that. Not saying it was okay or right but the fallout seemed to be outsized for the actual actions which I deemed somewhat relatable to experiences some of us might’ve had with a coach or two growing up.
Based on what I heard, Pernetti was fired because he mislead/lied to Barchi and Gov Christie about what was going on (and I think the status of the tape). Don't remember all the details.

If it wasn't for this, Pernetti would have likely survived.

Last edited:

Great listen. And confirms that Barchi was and is an absolute buffoon. Barchi let his ego get in the way. Didn’t like that Tim was as viewed as more important by most.

Great listen. And confirms that Barchi was and is an absolute buffoon. Barchi let his ego get in the way. Didn’t like that Tim was as viewed as more important by most.
Stereotypical d-bag boss, kind of like the one in Dilbert. Tim could have used some coaching before going to Barchi with the Rice thing.

dt180331.gif

Going back to Bob Mulcahy and Pres. McCormick, the dynamic is that you have a nerdy academic that finds themselves in a leadership position...they see athletics and politics as scary things they just want to go away. The best case scenario for them is when the athletics department causes no trouble.

When a scandal pops up, they piss their pants and cave to the grandstanding politicians who are happy to attack perceived corruption at RU to cover for their own corrupt practices, and toss good people under the bus.

Great interview. No doubt Tim was a scapegoat and agree with the notion that Barchi wanted to completely insulate himself from the situation and from athletics in general. Also, thought Tim’s take on relationships was what he really lived. He made an effort to connect with every Rutgers fan and/or donor no matter how big or small their donation was.

Great interview. No doubt Tim was a scapegoat and agree with the notion that Barchi wanted to completely insulate himself from the situation and from athletics in general. Also, thought Tim’s take on relationships was what he really lived. He made an effort to connect with every Rutgers fan and/or donor no matter how big or small their donation was.
Tim was a kingpin, and as noted above, insecure leaders feel threatened by underlings who are more revered than them. Barchi is a typical low-life worm of a leader. Shame on the donors who did not back him either.

The lyric from Something in the Night comes to mind for Tim's situation:

Well, you're born with nothing
And better off that way
Soon as you've got something they send
Someone to try and take it away

I have to admit, even though I'm very small time as a donor, I felt like a well connected, important part of the RU athletics scene when Tim was in charge. Julie Hermann and now Pat Hobbs have no clue who I am, even though I've been a season ticket holder in football and hoops since the 80s. Not that I'm upset about it. Just stating a fact. As Tim states in this interview, even if there wasn't much you could do for him, he would still make you feel valued.

I have to admit, even though I'm very small time as a donor, I felt like a well connected, important part of the RU athletics scene when Tim was in charge. Julie Hermann and now Pat Hobbs have no clue who I am, even though I've been a season ticket holder in football and hoops since the 80s. Not that I'm upset about it. Just stating a fact. As Tim states in this interview, even if there wasn't much you could do for him, he would still make you feel valued.
I 1000% agree with you. There definitely needs to be more of a thank you/outreach for the people who actually do contribute, promote and support RU through the various things they do. Honestly, I think you should be upset about it because they certainly don't have any problems hitting you up for more money as the years go by.

Don’t sell yourself short. Long-time season ticket holders and donors at any level helped keep the lights on in the stadium and at the RAC through some really crappy years.

Completely agree with you.

Reactions: LeapinLou
I get it - it’s Tim’s version of the story, but I tend to buy it. It makes perfect sense.

And despite many posters rejecting the notion that Tim had anything to do with Rutgers joining the B1G…well he says otherwise here.

I get it - it’s Tim’s version of the story, but I tend to buy it. It makes perfect sense.

And despite many posters rejecting the notion that Tim had anything to do with Rutgers joining the B1G…well he says otherwise here.
The only thing I think he glosses over is that in the time between when Rice was suspended and when the videos went public, he was publicly supporting the University's decision not to fire Rice. But he probably felt like he had to at that point.

I didn’t listen yet .
But I don’t get the love for the guy on this board . Even if you want to buy his side of the story on every issue - he would still be judged as a mediocre AD at best.

Seems pretty harsh. He accomplished and orchestrated the single greatest and most important chess move Rutgers ever played.

Past ADs literally fumbled the bag on conference or coach moves that were handed to them and would’ve dramatically changed the trajectory of the entire University

The only thing I think he glosses over is that in the time between when Rice was suspended and when the videos went public, he was publicly supporting the University's decision not to fire Rice. But he probably felt like he had to at that point.
I don't know what he said at the time, but what could he say? "If it were up to me, I'd fire the guy, but my President and General Counsel won't let me."

He was toeing the company line. We've all been there before.

Seems pretty harsh. He accomplished and orchestrated the single greatest and most important chess move Rutgers ever played.

Past ADs literally fumbled the bag on conference or coach moves that were handed to them and would’ve dramatically changed the trajectory of the entire University
Bob and Greg did the heavy lifting . Any mediocre successor to Bob would have had the same result.

I listened to most of this last night. Some thoughts...

I gotta give him credit for taking the high road after being thrown under the bus. It is so difficult to do, particularly when someone stabs you in the back.

I know exactly what he means about going with your gut. I'm sure that was a real learning experience for him in terms of how to react in the future.

Love the comment about having interns go out into the parking lots to put block R's on cars.

I think it really sucks that a cadre of people basically turned their back on him when he was fired. Shows you a lot about peoples' character.

I know this is a big point of contention with some people on this board, but he played an instrumental role in getting us into the Big 10.

Did he? Or did he just float on what Mulcahy and GS did? They revived the football program. The geography and academics aspects were long baked in.

Then he hired two of the worst major hires we've had in either sport (impressive in a sad way) and managed to somehow botch the fact that one was on video engaging in horrific and sure to be viral conduct.

I don't know what he said at the time, but what could he say? "If it were up to me, I'd fire the guy, but my President and General Counsel won't let me."

He was toeing the company line. We've all been there before.

Yeah but most of us don't have a direct line into the governor and every senior official to make our case.

I personally would have sat with Barchi or any senior individual to ensure they watched that video. Even failing that, an email with quotables from Rice would have surely gotten everyone's attention.

I didn’t listen yet .
But I don’t get the love for the guy on this board . Even if you want to buy his side of the story on every issue - he would still be judged as a mediocre AD at best.
You must have missed my pronouncement early in his tenure that "Tim will get us in." He delivered in a B1G way. But some of us don't tout our accomplishments and call ourselves legends for calling it correctly.

You must have missed my pronouncement early in his tenure that "Tim will get us in." He delivered in a B1G way. But some of us don't tout our accomplishments and call ourselves legends for calling it correctly.

I remember that. And there was some other poster called Dum Sheet or something like that who derided you for making that bold proclamation.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes I missed it!

Feel free to call yourself a legend and tout your accomplishments. This board loves the board members that do that !

“Tim was too nice to Rice”.

“Murdock’s tapes were not funny , Tim should have paid him the money”

Tim had the pulse of the fanbase, and if there was a good idea implemented on this board, it was immediately implemented. His initial instinct to hire Cristobal was correct, and had he got the support, this program would have been far ahead of where it is.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Tim had the pulse of the fanbase, and if there was a good idea implemented on this board, it was immediately implemented. His initial instinct to hire Cristobal was correct, and had he got the support, this program would have been far ahead of where it is.
You are really stretching . The fans pretty much unanimously wanted hill jr. fired and pernetti wanted him back.

Very true.

Yes I missed it!

Feel free to call yourself a legend and tout your accomplishments. This board loves the board members that do that !

“Tim was too nice to Rice”.

“Murdock’s tapes were not funny , Tim should have paid him the money”
Rice got a raw deal, but he put himself in a position to be fired.
Tim asked Barchi if he wanted to look at the video and Barchi declined.
Then to save his own butt Barchi made Tim the scapegoat.

As for payoff, great idea, once the Star Ledger found out about the payoff I'm sure
they'd praise Tim and Rutgers for doing so , though Barchi would credit himself for getting the deal done.

That said :All Hail Knight Shift TKR's Nostradamus
The only legend TKR members should recognize
See Ya Sport GIF by HockeyDiversityAlliance

No one has ever called dum street ! But there was a poster in the famous “ash will get smashed” thread that said plum is dumb ! That didn’t age well. Shocker !

Oh there's far more than one incarnation of Dum Sheet on this board.

No one has ever called dum street ! But there was a poster in the famous “ash will get smashed” thread that said plum is dumb ! That didn’t age well. Shocker !
That's a catchy phrase and one easy to remember
Final Fantasy Thumbs Up GIF by Xbox

Christie authorized the execution of Pernetti. Barchi was placed by Christie. Blame Christie.

A slight blame goes to Tim for going on that ESPN interview and making a bad situation worse. Never forgot that piece, that was a mistake.

Loved Pernetti but you can’t basically call your boss a liar, on syndicated radio.
He gave Barchi the tapes Barchi swears he never saw them. If Tim didn’t see him watch the tapes, he shouldn’t have proclaimed Barchi saw the tapes, If he refrained from doing that, he’d probably still be here.
Pernetti was great for Rutgers.
“We’ll never beat Ohio State” Barchi?
Not so much (for athletics).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT