ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Mawot Mag could have breakout season

I think you mean set, half-court defense. Gotta score ourselves and avoid TOs or opponents' scoring numbers will still be too high for success.
Just referring to keeping the other team from scoring too easily. With any improvement from those two, we should be able to score enough to win enough games to dance.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Mag is trying to work his way in at becoming a leadership voice on the team.​
“Yeah, that’s actually one thing I want to step into, a leadership role,” Mag said. “I want to lead our team and be a more vocal person on the court.”​

I tend to dislike topics like this. It seems like the interviewer prompted the comment about leadership. And people saying they intend to be more of a leader.. just doesn't sit well. Leadership is something you earn from those you intend to lead. I'd rather have 1 leader on the court at any time with others who have chosen to follow his lead than 5 players all trying to prove their leadership qualifications.
I'd like less talking and more scoring.

Oh my freaking God. That’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about any offensive development being a bonus to his defense.
I'd also sugegst that playing as a frosh with guys who should take shots before you di is different than when you have a green.. make that an AMBER light... where you are expected to score. You are not as worried about takig shots whne you shouldn't.. you'll play looser.. I think. Better.

I'd also sugegst that playing as a frosh with guys who should take shots before you di is different than when you have a green.. make that an AMBER light... where you are expected to score. You are not as worried about takig shots whne you shouldn't.. you'll play looser.. I think. Better.
Agree. Do I expect him to come in and be Steph Curry after one offseason? No way. Just be able to score once in awhile so we're not playing 4 on 5 when he's out there.

Hyatt Regency NB is one of the worst Hyatt properties I have ever stayed. The property is outdated and most of the staff are rude.

Hyatt Regency Princeton is one of the best.

Mag is trying to work his way in at becoming a leadership voice on the team.​
“Yeah, that’s actually one thing I want to step into, a leadership role,” Mag said. “I want to lead our team and be a more vocal person on the court.”​

I tend to dislike topics like this. It seems like the interviewer prompted the comment about leadership. And people saying they intend to be more of a leader.. just doesn't sit well. Leadership is something you earn from those you intend to lead. I'd rather have 1 leader on the court at any time with others who have chosen to follow his lead than 5 players all trying to prove their leadership qualifications.
You must be fun at parties

Pike is talking National Championship to his players.
Multiple articles I’ve read have our players talking about it.
We lost two really important pieces, yet I’m delusional enough to think we may be better than ever….crazy!

Some of us remember RU making the Final Four in 1976, but I cannot ever recall this level of hype associated with the program. Never. Amazing.

Keeping in mind that Mag was a bit banged up last season, I see in order of likelihood:
1) Mag stays about the same: 12 minutes 5 points per game
2) Mag gets eclipsed by Woolfolk, Choi, Reiber, Hyatt and sees 5 filler minutes per game.
3) Mag breaks out and get 22 minutes and 12 points per game.

You must be fun at parties
you must be an absolute boor

I don't think interviewers should be promting rote responses. As someone who replied to me pointed out.. how can you say "no, I have no interest in being more of a leader" when prompted with such a question?

I get that an interviewer has to draw out information by asking questions.. but this one was leading and ultimately did not reveal anything. But if it needles Mag into forcing himself to ACT like a leader.. that could be a bad thing. We need him to play his best... "leading" has little do with that. I don't know who will lead.. or how many.. we shall see.. but whoever it is will need very good players to follow his lead.. to be supportive. Those people can be the most valuable.

If you don't want to discuss such things.. why not head out to a "party"? I'm sure you have a stack of invites you have to sort through.

Last edited:
Keeping in mind that Mag was a bit banged up last season, I see in order of likelihood:
2) Mag gets eclipsed by Woolfolk, Choi, Reiber, Hyatt and sees 5 filler minutes per game.
3 is the most likely. I also see Mag as the primary backup to Caleb at the 3. I would expect one of Caleb or Mag to be on the court at all times pretty much to have an elite level long perimeter defender on the court

Is 1 most likely here? I personally have a lot faith in Pike's ability to develop talent. I think option 3 is the most likely.

3 seems near impossible to me.

If a good defensive player on a Pike team is capable of putting up 12 points in 22 minutes on average, that kid is going to be playing more than 22 minutes. Just saying…

3 seems near impossible to me.

If a good defensive player on a Pike team is capable of putting up 12 points in 22 minutes on average, that kid is going to be playing more than 22 minutes. Just saying…
Yea the actual numbers of 12 in 22 is too much, but the general concept of a Mag breakout is the most likely scenario IMO

Of the the 3 choices on there - probably.

6 and 22 is just as likely as 12 and 30 though in my opinion.

And 6ppg/22mpg would be a huge improvement next season.
That would be doubling both ppg and mpg from last year.

We're getting close to "RHJ is going to average 20ppg" levels with the scoring expectations people are throwing out there across various threads.

And 6ppg/22mpg would be a huge improvement next season.
That would be doubling both ppg and mpg from last year.

We're getting close to "RHJ is going to average 20ppg" levels with the scoring expectations people are throwing out there across various threads.
Exactly. That was my point. 12 ppg for him isn’t impossible but saying that’s the assumed most likely outcome seems extremely bold. And doing so in 22 minutes would be almost impossible unless he was a scoring and fouling machine combo.

Perspective - putting up 12 ppg isn’t so easy. Cliff didn’t average 12 points last year. Geo averaged 12.6 ppg in over 34 mpg. He played that much because he was our most reliable ball handler. I’d be shocked if Mag plays +30 mpg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT