ADVERTISEMENT

Football Max Melton & Chris Long Suspended

They’ll go through PTI but it’s not going to be scheduled and resolved as quickly as some fans wish it would. Until then I assume that they’ll remain suspended.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Some of you should root for the Sillynannies instead of Rutgers. We don't even know what they did yet. Did none of you get into trouble as a teenager, act mischievous in college? Or do you think that because they're on the football team they should be devoid of the impulses of later adolescence?

I doubt they used that paintball gun to steal drug money and pistolwhip the dealer like Floods guys did.

OK a couple of things about that. NJ is ridiculous in it's hatred for guns. So much so that airsoft and paintball guns - neither of which are deadly weapons - are called weapons. It's the height of stupidity. That said the law needs to be followed and these two screwed up - even though that law is unjust and silly when applied to toys that aren't weapons.

They might be done for the year just due to the anti-gun hysteria of NJ.

Sucks. Max was looking to have a great future here.

So what do you actually like about NJ? You seem to bash it every chance you get. You hate anti-gun, you complain about the tax, is your life that miserable?

Have to wait and see what they did but if it was something like shooting paint balls at professors cars or at the window of frat house/RU dorms where their ex girlfriend lives and RUPD arrested them for it, then this is just another example of what Rutgers has to go through still to ever compete with the likes at the top of the Big Ten, College Football … we are still “small time”

A friend of mine in school used to drive around College Ave, stick his hand outside the window and pinch girls in the ass. He would be arrested and locked up in today's world.
Funny back then. If he pinched your daughter's ass, wouldn't be so much now. Wonder if this dude's pleasurable activities progressed to more deviant behavior.

Reactions: Section44
Some of you should root for the Sillynannies instead of Rutgers. We don't even know what they did yet. Did none of you get into trouble as a teenager, act mischievous in college? Or do you think that because they're on the football team they should be devoid of the impulses of later adolescence?

I doubt they used that paintball gun to steal drug money and pistolwhip the dealer like Floods guys did.
we don’t write the laws. In high school my son‘s friends got arrested for it. They were shooting at random people and the authorities took it very seriously. Hopefully Melton and Long were only shooting at each other or some friends.

Aggravated assault just means there was physical contact. If you pinch someone against their will, that is technically aggravated assault. That doesn't mean you throw the book at someone though. And a paintball gun can do some damage so aggravated assault charge makes sense. If they shot someone in the back, hijinks kind of thing, hopefully the punishment would be light. PTI and hours.

I'm a progressive liberal. NJ's gun laws are indeed stupid. Treating a low power BB gun or paintball gun the same as something that shoots bullets, just doesn't make sense. Also, the assault weapons rules are just for show and do nothing to improve public safety. A NJ legal self loading rifle is 100% as deadly as a scary looking "assault weapon." All it does is aggravate responsible gun owners. Meanwhile, any nut can get a real gun with a very limited in scope background check and no required training.

Aggravated means someone most likely got hurt or is claiming injury. Otherwise I would imagine it would be menacing or something similar.

Reactions: Bagarocks
giphy.gif

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Aggravated means someone most likely got hurt or is claiming injury. Otherwise I would imagine it would be menacing or something similar.
I think they probably pointed the paint ball gun at someone which is by definition agg assault I believe.

FYI..assuming you no longer want the chairs...?

This is a ridiculous charge if indeed it is limited to shooting a paintball gun. And it would be ridiculous for anyone to be charged like that not just RU football players. This needs to be downgraded asap.

Kind of reminds me of when Springsteen was charged with drunk driver even though he was totally sober ( and I am not a Springsteen fanboy)

Reactions: Plum Street
Paintballs are only really dangerous if the paintballs are frozen before hand, then they become like shooting rocks. I doubt either of them did that here.

I think they may not be able to play for Rutgers again and shouldn't.
We can't have players on the team that don't know the law and have no common sense.

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
my buddy was shooting me with an airsoft gun from the balcony of our off campus house on Huntington and the cops came. It was rad. Ironically, my buddy is a cop now.

We can't have players on the team that don't know the law and have no common sense.
Really? It's a paintball gun. Stupid -- absolutely. But, let's not get carried away.

Exactly we do not know what happened yet. I hope it's not serious, but we don't know that either. We can't make assumptions either way.

Reactions: ChasRC69
We’re in NJ, not down south or Pa. The state will make an example out of those two while nj . com will compare them to the Washington DC Snipers few years ago.

Yeah. The front page of the Star Ledger's going to be a real treat tomorrow, not that I get it. They deserve a game just for giving them fodder.

How about getting the whole story before making a statement like this? It’s not like this law applies most places outside of NJ so to say they should’ve clearly known this was an arrest worthy offense seems prelimary.

I believe just pointing it at someone, loaded or not, is aggravated assault in NJ

This is a ridiculous charge if indeed it is limited to shooting a paintball gun. And it would be ridiculous for anyone to be charged like that not just RU football players. This needs to be downgraded asap.

Kind of reminds me of when Springsteen was charged with drunk driver even though he was totally sober ( and I am not a Springsteen fanboy)
It was determined later he was totally sober. IIRC, he failed a field observation test, and he was seen drinking while on his motorcycle. (I am sort of a Springsteen fan, but the outrage by some (Nils Lofgren in his band) that he was targeted was ridiculous).

I believe just pointing it at someone, loaded or not, is aggravated assault in NJ
Yes - this is correct. When a weapon is involved the “aggregated” is automatically tacked on to the classification. Outside of NJ, a BB gun wouldn’t count as a weapon so this would merely be a violation of school rules if no one actually was injured or there was no “intent to injure” identified.

We need more information. Obviously if they shot at someone and hurt them the story changes but something tells me we’d have heard that already if it was the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT