ADVERTISEMENT

Football Max Melton & Chris Long Suspended

we don’t write the laws. In high school my son‘s friends got arrested for it. They were shooting at random people and the authorities took it very seriously. Hopefully Melton and Long were only shooting at each other or some friends.
If this was the case I doubt Schiano would have suspended them

Yes - this is correct. When a weapon is involved the “aggregated” is automatically tacked on to the classification. Outside of NJ, a BB gun wouldn’t count as a weapon so this would merely be a violation of school rules if no one actually was injured or there was no “intent to injure” identified.

We need more information. Obviously if they shot at someone and hurt them the story changes but something tells me we’d have heard that already if it was the case.
Thanks, that's a useful bit of info. So assault in NJ is merely the threat of violence. Aggravated assault is where there is actual physical contact, no matter how inconsequential. And if there is a weapon, then the mere threat of violence (brandishing the weapon) is automatically aggravated assault.

Long and Melton were both charged with aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose, according to municipal court records. In a statement announcing the suspensions, Greg Schiano said the players were involved in "an incident involving a paintball gun."
Link?

N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1 classifies airsoft guns and BB guns as “firearms”. A paintball gun, while not considered to be a firearm, is still classified as a weapon under New Jersey law because it is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury. As a result, individuals and even juveniles who think they are simply playing with a recreational item may find themselves in trouble with the law for offenses like unlawful possession of a weapon or possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose

Paintball Gun – A paintball gun is not considered a “firearm” under New Jersey law, but it is still considered a “weapon” because it is capable of serious bodily injury under statute 2C:39-1. Therefore, similarly to most other weapons crimes, you will be charged with a fourth degree crime if you are found to be in possession of a paintball gun under circumstances that are not manifestly appropriate for a lawful use. The charge will be upgraded to a more serious third degree felony if you use or intend to use the paintball gun to hurt another person or their property.

All over the state, people pay for paintball. Are we going to lock Coach Pike up for organized crime this Summer. Everywhere else in America, people are falling off chairs laughing that this even made the “news.”

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
All over the state, people pay for paintball. Are we going to lock Coach Pike up for organized crime this Summer. Everywhere else in America, people are falling off chairs laughing that this even made the “news.”

Lock him up for going to a licensed facility and everyone wearing protective equipment? Probably not.

Seems like people are already forming pretty rigid ideological battles lines around this situation without having nearly enough details about the specific case to do so knowledgably.

A paintball gun isn't a real gun, or even a BB gun. It can, however, if used against an unwilling party, do serious and permanent damage to the eyes and ears.

I don't think anybody here would argue that shooting paintballs at someone who isn't willingly participating is a form of assault. A baseball bat is not a weapon at all when used properly. It's a deadly weapon in an assault if used as such in a crime though, right?

The degree to which an assault is "aggravated" is probably a question best left to lawyers familiar with both the applicable legal statutes and the specific details of a given case.

The details are critical in determining the crime here. And we don't have the details yet. It's possible we'll never have those details unless we're present in court or at depositions or the like.

What's unarguable at this point is that one of our best players is unavailable for the game Saturday. And that just sucks.

This makes zero sense. They were arrested THIS morning. Did Schiano choose that? He acted immediately which is what he should do, not consult the schedule. Seriously an ignorant comment

Besides, its certainly a winnable game. Would it be an upset? Sure, but to say its not winnable is just not accurate.

My roommate and I were caught shooting a pellet gun out our dorm window freshman year. We had the gun confiscated until the last day of school and were placed on probation by the dean They didn’t even bother informing the track coach
I am sure in most places the gun just taken away from the guys and schiano makes them run sprints until they vomit.

Anyone have an idea as to what the "unlawful purposes" was?

That phrase is vague and can really be something awful.

I once witnessed some cars speeding on a NY highway, just north of Jersey, having a paintball fight between vehicles. And, yes, they were hitting the windshields.. guys hanging out windows firing. Insane stuff back when paintball was a new thing... before a simple cell phone call might have meant some dire consequences for them.

Where was Bo?
Why is he not looking after his baby bother from getting into trouble?

So what do you actually like about NJ? You seem to bash it every chance you get. You hate anti-gun, you complain about the tax, is your life that miserable?

You think guns and taxes are everything in my life? That's silly. And who said my life was miserable? You're putting words in my mouth.

As to your question. Not much really. But it's where I live for now.

If they didn’t hurt anyone and were just deemed to be horsing around I’d think this will end up being just a probation and they’ll miss a game. If someone was injured, different story.

Reactions: Steve91562
I am sure in most places the gun just taken away from the guys and schiano makes them run sprints until they vomit.
Most places don’t have politicians and/ or Rutgers 1000 types that will call for their heads.

This makes zero sense. They were arrested THIS morning. Did Schiano choose that? He acted immediately which is what he should do, not consult the schedule. Seriously an ignorant comment
Considering his old boss used to do this:

PaternoShrug_1363626577.jpg

and wait 'til the end of the season to say "tsk, tsk but boys will be boys" I'd say GS is on the right track.

It's going to hurt on Saturday but we don't want to be the league's vermin.

Reactions: thegock
They’ll go through PTI but it’s not going to be scheduled and resolved as quickly as some fans wish it would. Until then I assume that they’ll remain suspended.

They do PTI for Felonies? Or whatever NJ calls felonies?

Aggravated assault just means there was physical contact. If you pinch someone against their will, that is technically aggravated assault. That doesn't mean you throw the book at someone though. And a paintball gun can do some damage so aggravated assault charge makes sense. If they shot someone in the back, hijinks kind of thing, hopefully the punishment would be light. PTI and hours.

I'm a progressive liberal. NJ's gun laws are indeed stupid. Treating a low power BB gun or paintball gun the same as something that shoots bullets, just doesn't make sense. Also, the assault weapons rules are just for show and do nothing to improve public safety. A NJ legal self loading rifle is 100% as deadly as a scary looking "assault weapon." All it does is aggravate responsible gun owners. Meanwhile, any nut can get a real gun with a very limited in scope background check and no required training.

Well put. You have my respect, sir.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Besides, its certainly a winnable game. Would it be an upset? Sure, but to say its not winnable is just not accurate.
The smart coaching move would be to investigate quickly, and if it's poor judgement and hijinks, make a quick decision and announce a 1 game suspension for Michigan. Probably our least important game left on the schedule.

If it was Agg assault, there was someone (victim) involved and they were not simply shooting at property which would be criminal mischief.

LOL. Sure bud. Agg Assault for a non lethal paintball gun. Idiot.
It doesn't have to be lethal to be considered aggravated assault. The fact cops showed up, arrested and charged them with aggravated assault makes it seem the weren't just plinking at some aluminum cans.

"you will be charged with a fourth degree crime if you are found to be in possession of a paintball gun under circumstances that are not manifestly appropriate for a lawful use. The charge will be upgraded to a more serious third degree felony if you use or intend to use the paintball gun to hurt another person or their property.

Very stupid and leading up to Michigan is just ridiculous. Kids make mistakes. Hopefully it was nothing more than goofing around and they learn from it. Not good for the team trying to focus on a very tough opponent obviously.

I'm sure it's goofing around. But you can't goof around in NJ like that. Fair or not.

And to tell you the truth I'll be surprised to see if there's a Prosecutor in NJ that's going to say the equivalent of "Paintball gun are toys not weapons. Just kids doing kid things." Neither the judiciary or the State Prosecutors office or the NJ media will look kindly on that. Will a prosecutor possibly cut his own career throat to throw these kids a bone?

I hope so but don't think so.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT