ADVERTISEMENT

Football Max Melton & Chris Long Suspended

According to New Jersey law, there are several ways a person can be found guilty of aggravated assault. Here are the most common:

-- Causing or attempting to cause serious bodily injury to another individual purposely, knowingly, or under circumstances showing an extreme indifference to the value of human life;

-- Causing or attempting to cause bodily injury to another person with a deadly weapon;

-- Recklessly causing bodily injury to another person with a deadly weapon;

-- Pointing a firearm at or in the direction of another person, whether loaded or unloaded;

-- Committing simple assault against a government employee, like a police officer.

Simple assault usually involves threats or attempts to hurt another person or attacks that cause minor injuries. Aggravated assault is most often used in cases involving serious injuries, or when a weapon is used.

Reactions: Bagarocks
I think they probably pointed the paint ball gun at someone which is by definition agg assault I believe.

I think pointing (brandishing) is only assault.

But there are other's who are lawyers here who should know exactly. (Except for one nut who's insane)

Reactions: bethlehemfan
According to New Jersey law, there are several ways a person can be found guilty of aggravated assault. Here are the most common:

-- Causing or attempting to cause serious bodily injury to another individual purposely, knowingly, or under circumstances showing an extreme indifference to the value of human life;

-- Causing or attempting to cause bodily injury to another person with a deadly weapon;

-- Recklessly causing bodily injury to another person with a deadly weapon;

-- Pointing a firearm at or in the direction of another person, whether loaded or unloaded;

-- Committing simple assault against a government employee, like a police officer.

Simple assault usually involves threats or attempts to hurt another person or attacks that cause minor injuries. Aggravated assault is most often used in cases involving serious injuries, or when a weapon is used.

#4 - NJ thinks that paintball gun was a firearm.

I'll retract that as they seem to try to call it a weapon and not a firearm.

Last edited:
All over the state, people pay for paintball. Are we going to lock Coach Pike up for organized crime this Summer. Everywhere else in America, people are falling off chairs laughing that this even made the “news.”

Are you going for the record for dumbest post ever? You can't see that what you do with the paintball gun is what matters? All over America people own axes. Just because I planted this axe in someone's head are they going to call that a crime?

We don't know what they did yet. So sit tight and we'll all see in due time.

Link?

N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1 classifies airsoft guns and BB guns as “firearms”. A paintball gun, while not considered to be a firearm, is still classified as a weapon under New Jersey law because it is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury. As a result, individuals and even juveniles who think they are simply playing with a recreational item may find themselves in trouble with the law for offenses like unlawful possession of a weapon or possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose

Paintball Gun – A paintball gun is not considered a “firearm” under New Jersey law, but it is still considered a “weapon” because it is capable of serious bodily injury under statute 2C:39-1. Therefore, similarly to most other weapons crimes, you will be charged with a fourth degree crime if you are found to be in possession of a paintball gun under circumstances that are not manifestly appropriate for a lawful use. The charge will be upgraded to a more serious third degree felony if you use or intend to use the paintball gun to hurt another person or their property.

So it's not a firearm but they treat it like a firearm. Only in NJ.

Anyone have an idea as to what the "unlawful purposes" was?

That phrase is vague and can really be something awful.

I once witnessed some cars speeding on a NY highway, just north of Jersey, having a paintball fight between vehicles. And, yes, they were hitting the windshields.. guys hanging out windows firing. Insane stuff back when paintball was a new thing... before a simple cell phone call might have meant some dire consequences for them.

I think the logic goes - the only lawful purpose is at a paintball course. Other than that you're assumed to be unlawful.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
I think everyone agrees it was stupid so let's get that out of the way. I think the only real question is what did they actually do. If they rode around being bozos shooting at random stuff it's one thing. Again, stupid but lesson learned by now. If they rolled up on an unsuspecting person on a street corner and proceeded to scare the crap out of him/her and pelt them with paint balls it's entirely something different.

The charges should never have been brought. Agg Assault with a toy? Not unless they hit someone over the head with it.
They’re not toys but I was referring mostly to actual guns…plus I wasn’t referring to the specifics of this case since I don’t know what happened.

Paintballs travel between 260-270 feet per second . Just imagine its impact colliding with the head, or face.

Reactions: ldwnmas
What were they thinking? They weren't. They let down their teammates, coaching staff, and a whole lot of alum and fans. Heck, even faculty, staff, and the admin. Congrats guys. Hang your heads in shame. You deserve twice what you'll get in terms of punishment. Learn from it. And grow the eff up.

Reactions: thegock
All over the state, people pay for paintball. Are we going to lock Coach Pike up for organized crime this Summer. Everywhere else in America, people are falling off chairs laughing that this even made the “news.”

Obviously when you pay for paintball you are willing to be hit by paintballs, and are wearing a mask to prevent you from going blind and usually a hoodie or something that makes it less painful. People pay to play hockey too but if I just blasted a puck at you I'm sure your reaction wouldn't be, "Wow great deal, usually that costs money!"

Where was Bo?
Why is he not looking after his baby bother from getting into trouble?
You think a roughly 20-year old man should have his older brother keeping an eye on him at all times?

Under NJ law, simply pointing a paintball gun at someone can qualify as Third Degree aggravated assault.

What were they thinking? They weren't. They let down their teammates, coaching staff, and a whole lot of alum and fans. Heck, even faculty, staff, and the admin. Congrats guys. Hang your heads in shame. You deserve twice what you'll get in terms of punishment. Learn from it. And grow the eff up.

Most of this but I think they deserve the kind of punishment they'd get for this in the sane parts of the nation.

Guilty of mischievous behavior. Wash police cars for a couple of weekends. Sit out 1st half of next game. Run wind sprints until you puke. (I like that last one).

Unless they shot someone's eye out or robbed a bank.

This is the 1992 Cinncy game redux. We were fighting for a bowl bid (finished 7-3 (I believe) and didn't get one) and during game week for the road game vs Cinncy (I was at the game) one of our senior assistant coaches was arrested on serious drug charges. We lost to a bad Cinncy team later that week. Things like this often hurt more by causing a distraction to the players and staff than by the need to replace a key player.

The NJ Supreme Court in 2004 held that a paintball gun was a weapon, not a firearm, and upheld a guilty plea to unlawful possession of a weapon by a juvenile who shot a paintball pellet at an unoccupied car. The court held that the possession of a paintball gun under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for its use as a lawful weapon violated the statute, and that under that section of the statute, which is a fourth degree crime, the discharge of the gun is not necessary to violate the statute; thus as long as you possess a paintball gun outside of the space for which they are permitted, i.e. a paintball facility, you are guilty of this section. Thus, there is no need to prove any INTENT to use the gun unlawfully, only that it was possessed in a manner not appropriate for its lawful use. Very harsh statute.

further proof of how ridiculous this state and liberals have become.
Liberals are awesome. Healthcare for all. Worker protection. Tax the rich more than the middle class. Get big money out of politics. Consumer protections. Protect the environment. Break up corporate monopolies. If only liberal politicians would follow through on liberal policies. Don't confuse the Fox news extremists they trot out for actual liberals and actual liberal policies.

However, most liberals have completely backwards and ignorant ideas about guns and gun policy.

He should be locked up in any world.
oh please, unless you lived a very dull and sheltered life, this is hardly 'lock up' material on any campus. While times have changed, this would be more about maturity and 'in the moment' fun than anything serious

Reactions: MrsScrew
Hopefully, the anti-Rutgers media will not turn this into another Rutgers non-scandal “scandal” like the Mike Rice 8th grade dodgeball situation.

Most places don’t have politicians and/ or Rutgers 1000 types that will call for their heads.

Doesn't make it right, but funny, sources in Tuscaloosa, Miami Beach, Austin and College Station each borrowed from the John McEnroe book of quotes and said:

"You CAN'T be serious."

Tax the rich more than the middle class.

Unless you're a dress designer for the "stars" who can pay 30k for a table at an awards show. Then it's the "Treasures of the Sierra Madre" philosophy:

"Taxes? We don't pay no stinkin' taxes."

Unless you're a dress designer for the "stars" who can pay 30k for a table at an awards show. Then it's the "Treasures of the Sierra Madre" philosophy:

"Taxes? We don't pay no stinkin' taxes."
agree

taxing more for making more is legal theft

If the intent was to threaten harm, who cares what the potential lethality is? it wasn't a water pistol.

Thanks, that's a useful bit of info. So assault in NJ is merely the threat of violence. Aggravated assault is where there is actual physical contact, no matter how inconsequential. And if there is a weapon, then the mere threat of violence (brandishing the weapon) is automatically aggravated assault.
get's even dicier. you can walk to your mailbox to retrieve your mail holding your firearm but if someone thinks you pointed it, ohh brother. Gun owners are guilty till proven innocent in NJ

I forget the NJ SC case but a typical liberal judge said, and I paraphrase here, 'gun owners in NJ exercise their 2nd amendment rights at their own peril'

as a self professed liberal, surely that must infuriate you unless you're the 'pick and choose' type liberal

Reactions: beaced
Seems like people are already forming pretty rigid ideological battles lines around this situation without having nearly enough details about the specific case to do so knowledgably.

A paintball gun isn't a real gun, or even a BB gun. It can, however, if used against an unwilling party, do serious and permanent damage to the eyes and ears.

I don't think anybody here would argue that shooting paintballs at someone who isn't willingly participating is a form of assault. A baseball bat is not a weapon at all when used properly. It's a deadly weapon in an assault if used as such in a crime though, right?

The degree to which an assault is "aggravated" is probably a question best left to lawyers familiar with both the applicable legal statutes and the specific details of a given case.

The details are critical in determining the crime here. And we don't have the details yet. It's possible we'll never have those details unless we're present in court or at depositions or the like.

What's unarguable at this point is that one of our best players is unavailable for the game Saturday. And that just sucks.
well said

I'm guessing this is worse than just a prank. Aggravated assault sounds like a "victim" contacted police. If it was a prank why are the police involved?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT