ADVERTISEMENT

Football Max Melton & Chris Long Suspended

get's even dicier. you can walk to your mailbox to retrieve your mail holding your firearm but if someone thinks you pointed it, ohh brother. Gun owners are guilty till proven innocent in NJ

I forget the NJ SC case but a typical liberal judge said, and I paraphrase here, 'gun owners in NJ exercise their 2nd amendment rights at their own peril'

as a self professed liberal, surely that must infuriate you unless you're the 'pick
I would never point my guns at someone unless I intend to shoot. And as a matter of common sense I'd never put myself in a position where I'd accidentally point at someone. So it's a moot point.

I think everyone agrees it was stupid so let's get that out of the way. I think the only real question is what did they actually do. If they rode around being bozos shooting at random stuff it's one thing. Again, stupid but lesson learned by now. If they rolled up on an unsuspecting person on a street corner and proceeded to scare the crap out of him/her and pelt them with paint balls it's entirely something different.
" Everyone agrees it was stupid" and "what did they actually do?"

brule-what.gif

• Haha
Reactions: RUDead and RW90
UPDATE:

Kenneth Cop, Rutgers University Police Department Chief, released the following statement:

"On Monday, September 20, 2021, at approximately 10:00 PM, the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) responded to the area of Livingston Campus in the Township of Piscataway for the report of three student victims that were struck with paintballs discharged from a motor vehicle. The three victims sustained minor injuries and declined further medical attention on scene. An investigation completed by the RUPD resulted in the arrest of two male suspects on September 21, 2021.

Malachi M. Melton, a 19-year-old resident of Toms River, NJ, and Christopher M. Long, a 19-year-old resident of Willingboro, NJ, have been charged with three counts of Aggravated Assault and Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose. Both were released on their own recognizance with summonses to appear in Middlesex County Superior Court on November 4, 2021, at 8:45 AM."

If the intent was to threaten harm, who cares what the potential lethality is? it wasn't a water pistol.
We don’t know for sure - but Schiano’s words give reason to at least hope that intent to harm wasn’t present. If this was the kind of thing where they had actually shot at someone and injured them, it would 1) likely be in the news already and 2) Schiano probably would’ve chosen different words than simply saying he heard they were taken into custody due to some incident with a paintball gun. This one feels like it’ll land in the silly prank family. Though in NJ, this particular offense is punishable by mandatory jail time so not sure what will happen next with it.

UPDATE:

Kenneth Cop, Rutgers University Police Department Chief, released the following statement:

"On Monday, September 20, 2021, at approximately 10:00 PM, the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) responded to the area of Livingston Campus in the Township of Piscataway for the report of three student victims that were struck with paintballs discharged from a motor vehicle. The three victims sustained minor injuries and declined further medical attention on scene. An investigation completed by the RUPD resulted in the arrest of two male suspects on September 21, 2021.

Malachi M. Melton, a 19-year-old resident of Toms River, NJ, and Christopher M. Long, a 19-year-old resident of Willingboro, NJ, have been charged with three counts of Aggravated Assault and Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose. Both were released on their own recognizance with summonses to appear in Middlesex County Superior Court on November 4, 2021, at 8:45 AM."
Idiots. Is it considered fun to do a paintball drive-by? Because that sounds pretty dumb.

We don’t know for sure - but Schiano’s words give reason to at least hope that intent to harm wasn’t present. If this was the kind of thing where they had actually shot at someone and injured them, it would 1) likely be in the news already and 2) Schiano probably would’ve chosen different words than simply saying he heard they were taken into custody due to some incident with a paintball gun. This one feels like it’ll land in the silly prank family. Though in NJ, this particular offense is punishable by mandatory jail time so not sure what will happen next with it.
The police report quoted by Tango Two says:

"The three victims sustained minor injuries and declined further medical attention on scene."

It looks like intent to harm was present. Shooting from a moving vehicle. They're done!

yup, hopefully not threatening anyone.

based on the statement from the RU police dept., seems to me these two will miss more than one game, and they should. don't care what you are shooting out of a car, you're still shooting at people who most likely don't know it's a paintball gun.

to me this seems like more than a harmless college prank. it's not about whether the there was intent to harm....it's about the perspective of the victim (e.g. aiming an empty gun at someone is no less a crime than a loaded gun).

Here is what I got from Google re: Aggravated assault in NJ:

While simple assault in New Jersey is considered a disorderly persons offense, aggravated assault is an indictable offense or what is commonly referred to as a “felony”. Penalties for an aggravated assault conviction can include: Jail or prison time from 18 months to 10 years (depending on the degree).

UPDATE:

Holy hell this is stupid. I don't care if they were firing rubber bands, wtf are they doing out screwing around at 10pm the week of their biggest game.

Here is what I got from Google re: Aggravated assault in NJ:

While simple assault in New Jersey is considered a disorderly persons offense, aggravated assault is an indictable offense or what is commonly referred to as a “felony”. Penalties for an aggravated assault conviction can include: Jail or prison time from 18 months to 10 years (depending on the degree).
This is coming nowhere near prison time. Stop.

I hadn’t seen the release come out. It says motor vehicle not “moving” vehicle. Could’ve been parked. Regardless this was just very dumb. They will miss a good chunk of the season for this at minimum.

based on the statement from the RU police dept., seems to me these two will miss more than one game, and they should. don't care what you are shooting out of a car, you're still shooting at people who most likely don't know it's a paintball gun.

to me this seems like more than a harmless college prank. it's not about whether the there was intent to harm....it's about the perspective of the victim (e.g. aiming an empty gun at someone is no less a crime than a loaded gun).
Does any reporting actually indicate they didn't know the victims? There's a world of difference between pranking your guy friends versus best case, trying to scare the bejeezus out of innocent bystanders. The first is juvenile wrecklessness, the second is for all intents and purposes... criminal.

get's even dicier. you can walk to your mailbox to retrieve your mail holding your firearm but if someone thinks you pointed it, ohh brother. Gun owners are guilty till proven innocent in NJ

I forget the NJ SC case but a typical liberal judge said, and I paraphrase here, 'gun owners in NJ exercise their 2nd amendment rights at their own peril'

as a self professed liberal, surely that must infuriate you unless you're the 'pick and choose' type liberal
Who tf walks to their mailbox with a gun?!?!

Reactions: newell138
Does any reporting actually indicate they didn't know the victims? There's a world of difference between pranking your guy friends and at the least trying to scare the bejeezus out of innocent bystanders. The first is carelessly stoopid, the second is for all intents and purposes... criminal.
It was likely a prank to kids they knew. Everyone involved declined medical treatment. None the less, it was still incredibly stupid.

all that is going through my head right now

Dumass & Dumass

Nice teaching lesson to others regarding how void NIL deals can get voided. Businesses don’t like to sign idiots and good contacts have provisions to cancel contracts in situations like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT