ADVERTISEMENT

Meet 1: Rutgers Gymnastics Opens 2020 at Arizona (Saturday)

I've not been to any event at the U of A since moving out here two plus years ago. I've also never been to a gymnastics meet and have only watched them on TV when the Olympics are going on. So I may try to get over to the campus and cheer for what I believe is the first Rutgers team to visit the area recently.

I really wish more of our teams would come out here. RU baseball and softball could do some of their early season games here rather than just going down to Florida several times to begin each season. And a Rutgers-Arizona women's bball matchup would be a great event.

I've not been to any event at the U of A since moving out here two plus years ago. I've also never been to a gymnastics meet and have only watched them on TV when the Olympics are going on. So I may try to get over to the campus and cheer for what I believe is the first Rutgers team to visit the area recently.

I really wish more of our teams would come out here. RU baseball and softball could do some of their early season games here rather than just going down to Florida several times to begin each season. And a Rutgers-Arizona women's bball matchup would be a great event.
Baseball is playing in Peoria, AZ this year vs Wazzou. I bet softball will start playing out West soon as well as they have started recruiting SoCal. I could see both playing in early spring tourneys in Cali or Arizona moving forward every year. I agree that both sports needs to add some early season variety in their OOC scheduling instead of just playing tourneys in FL until mid March.

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of Peoria, AZ so will have to look it up. I'm wondering who the host will be, if any.

81329184_3348464645179942_5080334587565965312_o.jpg

We repped for RU at the gymnastics meet today in Tucson. Didn't see any other Rutgers folks there but there may well have been. Three of the 4 schools involved wore a shade of red. The arena is beautiful and must really rock when the U of A plays men's bball there. There were perhaps 3000 fans there, many of them girl scouts who were admitted after selling cookies.

Never having been to a meet before, I was curious to see what it was like. It's certainly more civil than most sporting events. There was no booing, people politely or strongly applauded all of the athletes, and loudly supported the home team throughout.

As a quad meet, it seemed like a four-ring circus to my untrained eye. Women's gymnastics, as in the Olympics, features four events and with four teams, each was on one apparatus in all four rounds, so that four things were happening all the time. It was impossible to keep track of it all. If I ever attend another meet, I'll make sure it's a dual, which would be far easier to follow.

There was also a lot of music involved. Each person doing the floor exercise had her own music selection going on, often having to wait till other music seemingly unrelated to one of the other three simultaneous events had finished. Somehow, the athletes on the beam, doing the vault, and on the uneven bars, must be able to tune it out as they didn't seem to be all that distracted by it, though several did fall off of the beam.

As for the results, Arizona entered ranked #13 and Iowa State was #25. Rutgers and Western Michigan were not ranked. WMU aside, the competition was rather close with RU chasing the two ranked teams but always falling a bit behind. From what we could see, the primary difference was the Rutgers gymnasts weren't sticking their landings after otherwise fine routines. The U of A women were superb at sticking their landings and ISU did a rather good job as well. Had that problem been solved, RU would have been in the thick of the race to the finish.

Reading about the meet on Scarlet,knights.com, I saw mention that RU's two leading scorers tied for the "all around." I'm not sure if the article was referring to leading RU in the "all around" or if it meant that they tied for the "all around" title for the entire meet. If anyone knows, please clarify this. I did not hear this announced at the arena and we did wait till the team scores were announced, in ascending order.

RU finished with a team score of just shy of 195.00, which sounds like a pretty good score. Not knowing RU's gymnastics history, I can't say for sure but perhaps others here who are more familiar with the team can comment.

thanks.

Huang and Joyner tied for the all around title for the entire meet, meaning they participated in all four events and had the highest score among those gymnasts who also were in all four. Usually they announce the all around winners in the postgame ceremony but they didn't yesterday, maybe because the home team didn't take the title.

Huang and Joyner tied for the all around title for the entire meet, meaning they participated in all four events and had the highest score among those gymnasts who also were in all four. Usually they announce the all around winners in the postgame ceremony but they didn't yesterday, maybe because the home team didn't take the title.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case (about not announcing). Anyway, that is a great achievement in a quad meet with such stiff competition. Hopefully it's the start of a great season for both and for the team as a whole.

Very good opener for the ladies. The “Belle” of The Ball picking up where they left off!!

Huang, Joyner Tie for All-Around Title in Gymnastics Season Opener

Rutgers gymnastics started its 2020 season on the road at Arizona, collecting two titles for to push the Scarlet Knights to a team score of 194.250. Junior Belle Huang and freshman Hannah Joyner tied for all-around title with identical 38.900 marks Additionally, Joyner burst onto the collegiate scene with a 9.900 on beam to capture the event's title.

https://scarletknights.com/news/202...around-title-in-gymnastics-season-opener.aspx

Reactions: ChasRC69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT