ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football 2022 Bowl Games Thread

That was a great article. One of the quotes that stood out was the coach who said "Georgia is not just talented, they're extremely well coached." Coaching is the difference maker. Even for programs that recruit at a high level. The comment about Georgia OC Todd Monken getting production out of lightly regarded recruits was also telling.
Coaching, scheme etc..is even more important if you don't have as much talent to try an even out the talent imbalance as much as possible.

Huh? Half the stadium was PSU fans dressed in white. Reaching the Rose Bowl was a much bigger deal for Utah fans and also a shorter trip, which is why they had such a large turnout. I strongly dislike Penn State but your criticism is unwarranted and inaccurate.
Half the Stadium? What game were you watching? Maybe 25% of the stadium at best which is well below typical Big Ten travel to the Rose Bowl. You might wanna watch again my friend. Even the announcers were talking about it.

Pathetic stalker. Closing in on 70 monikers now??!!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: NJMike
Another good article out of the Athletic and the Air Raid tree and their friendship and how they're pulling for Dykes. Also the point I've mentioned how they aren't all looking to sling the ball around every play and many of them look to run the ball and it's just philosophy of being able to adapt an think outside the box than actual plays. Dykes use of the transfer portal both at SMU and TCU is an example of that.

Here there's a mention of something I brought up before and how Dykes specifically wanted some added physicality on his team. Doesn't mean the most physical team but more physical and physical enough. Being an analyst on TCU's staff for a bit under Patterson rubbed that off on him a little and allowed him to reinvent himself a bit. He went out and hired Lashlee to pick up some Malzahn run game stuff and later Riley to pick up some stuff App State did in the run game. He also wanted to by more physical on defense. This is exactly what I've said about Longo working with Fickell now at Wisconsin. If some of that physical mentality of Fickell rubs off on Longo, he would definitely be one to keep an eye on should we need it in the future.

Excerpts from the article:

Their head coach’s willingness to reexamine and deviate from the way things had always been done shaped their mindsets, too. There are multiple definitions of what it means to be “an Air Raid guy.” Dykes has an answer shaped by years of trying to explain it to people.

“It’s really more of a state of mind than anything,” he said. “What would happen is you would see these people and they would say, ‘I’m an Air Raid guy — I run 92, I run 95. I run Stick. I run Sail.’ But then you’d go, ‘Yeah, you practice for three hours and you beat the s— out of each other. You run the Air Raid plays but you’re not an Air Raid guy.’ I’d run into these people all the time. To me, it always came back to being innovative and having a foundation but also being adaptive to change and tweak things and you have a system that you believed in but also a methodology of teaching with these drills. That’s what the Air Raid does so well is there are these drills that emphasize the main plays.”

In a reference Leach would probably appreciate, Dykes likens the Air Raid way to Mr. Miyagi’s methods in “The Karate Kid.”

“You have the ‘Settle and Noose’ drill teaches 92, and you don’t really know that but you’re teaching 92 because of the all the stuff you do in that drill. You have the ‘Pat ‘n Go’ drill, where you’re teaching 6. All these drills that you do are designed to make the most of these plays. It’s a very systematic approach to offense. That’s the perfect analogy. ‘Settle and Noose’ is like ‘Paint the Fence.’ ‘Pat ‘n Go’ is ‘Wax the Floor.’”

Dykes resurfaced at TCU in 2017 as an analyst on Gary Patterson’s staff, working under a head coach who was as hands-on with his defense as Leach was with his offense. Dykes came to the realization if he was going to be a head coach again and get a program to where he wanted it to go, he had to make some changes.

“I’ve got to do some things that I think may get my Air Raid card pulled but it may allow me to go play for a national championship,” Dykes said. “I’ve got to run the ball a little more, and we have to be more of a running offense and change in personnel and some stuff that allows your defense to be prepared and allows those guys to be good but still stays within the Air Raid stuff, because that’s so good and it works but you’ve gotta make tweaks sometimes.

“I learned at Cal that I have the passing stuff down, I understand that part, but I need to hire some really good run-game guys.”

Huh? Half the stadium was PSU fans dressed in white. Reaching the Rose Bowl was a much bigger deal for Utah fans and also a shorter trip, which is why they had such a large turnout. I strongly dislike Penn State but your criticism is unwarranted and inaccurate.
Wanna get back to this? WOW were you wrong lol!

ROSEK23F__45118.1672764047.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT