ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football 2022 Bowl Games Thread

From 2-10 last season to 11-2 and beating USC in a NYD bowl. 5 year rebuild?????
Another coach who has done a solid job or better at a bunch of smaller schools. Tulane is a hard place to win and he’s done okay after the first couple years and last year a very down year and he figured out how turn it to a very up year. IIRC they’ve had seasons distrupted by hurricane issues.

These guys have a knack to find ways to make it work with what they have. Resourcefulness is what you need.

Nitiot fans unhappy. I haven’t seen such a small turn out from the Big Ten school at the Rose Bowl in probably my entire life.

Reactions: GSGS
Another coach who has done a solid job or better at a bunch of smaller schools. Tulane is a hard place to win and he’s done okay after the first couple years and last year a very down year and he figured out how turn it to a very up year. IIRC they’ve had seasons distrupted by hurricane issues.

These guys have a knack to find ways to make it work with what they have. Resourcefulness is what you need.
indeed....Fritz has been a HC for 26 years and only a losing record 5 times, including the 2-10 last year...

Nitiot fans unhappy. I haven’t seen such a small turn out from the Big Ten school at the Rose Bowl in probably my entire life.
I hear that if they would have played in the bowl game in Yankee Stadium, the sponsors agreed to modify the name. Instead of the "Bad Boy Mowers in Pinstripe" Bowl, it would have been branded the "Little Boy Molesters in Pinstripes" Bowl.

We Are Pedd State / State Penn.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AreYouNUTS

I hear that if they would have played in the bowl game in Yankee Stadium, the sponsors agreed to modify the name. Instead of the "Bad Boy Mowers in Pinstripe" Bowl, it would have been branded the "Little Boy Molesters in Pinstripes" Bowl.

We Are Pedd State / State Penn.
55-10

Reactions: psuted
one of the best bowl season in recent memory. Many of the games have been fantastic with the lone exception being Purdue

Reactions: ManasquanMike
Huh? Half the stadium was PSU fans dressed in white. Reaching the Rose Bowl was a much bigger deal for Utah fans and also a shorter trip, which is why they had such a large turnout. I strongly dislike Penn State but your criticism is unwarranted and inaccurate.

Huh? Half the stadium was PSU fans dressed in white. Reaching the Rose Bowl was a much bigger deal for Utah fans and also a shorter trip, which is why they had such a large turnout. I strongly dislike Penn State but your criticism is unwarranted and inaccurate.
I wish I could post a picture but the aerial shot ESPN had showed all white in just a corner. I saw at least ⅔ of the stadium in Red. I can see why some posters say the PSU turnout was small. My wife (PSU alumni) had no interest in seeing Utah (which made me happy). Maybe there was some wearing blue or white mixed in, but the PSU turnout seemed small.

I wish I could post a picture but the aerial shot ESPN had showed all white in just a corner. I saw at least ⅔ of the stadium in Red. I can see why some posters say the PSU turnout was small. My wife (PSU alumni) had no interest in seeing Utah (which made me happy). Maybe there was some wearing blue or white mixed in, but the PSU turnout seemed small.
Does this work?

02cfb-rose-bowl-1-f40d-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

Flf8kUOakAA1DLn

FlgBZ0pWQAAbwPF.jpg:large

Last edited:
Does this work?

02cfb-rose-bowl-1-f40d-videoSixteenByNine3000.jpg

Flf8kUOakAA1DLn

FlgBZ0pWQAAbwPF.jpg:large

Thanks for posting! Those are the pictures I recall. That is a lot of red. There is a little more white in the lower sections but very impressive Utah turnout.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The Rose Bowl allots more tickets to PAC-12 teams than B1G teams, 30+k to 22k this year. Add in the distance factor and easy to see why bigger Utah contingent.

Here is a interesting site with a panoramic view that allows for zooming in enough to see individual faces (helps with the “mixed” sections):

@PSU_Nut What's your take on the crowd. What is the story behind the creepy masks with helmets? Have seen them before, but was wondering:

QSXOJ6MFSFDBXIGAAX3LDEVDVE.jpg
It was definitely more red than white. Penn State sold their allotment. As stated above the PAC 12 always gets a larger allotment. A big factor is also location. Utah is a drivable distance and have far more in the area. It a much cheaper trip for them. Secondly they knew ahead of time they were going to the bowl game. They won the championship game Friday which gave them a head start on buying tickets on the secondary market. Many Penn State fans felt like they backed their way into the game and didn’t deserve it while Utah won the championship and played their way into the game.

Here is the back story of the mask guys.

https://www.abc27.com/sports/nittany-nation/the-faces-of-penn-state-football-the-big-uglies/amp/

It was definitely more red than white. Penn State sold their allotment. As stated above the PAC 12 always gets a larger allotment. A big factor is also location. Utah is a drivable distance and have far more in the area. It a much cheaper trip for them. Secondly they knew ahead of time they were going to the bowl game. They won the championship game Friday which gave them a head start on buying tickets on the secondary market. Many Penn State fans felt like they backed their way into the game and didn’t deserve it while Utah won the championship and played their way into the game.
What are those helmet masks? Is it supposed to be a former player or just something funny?

What are those helmet masks? Is it supposed to be a former player or just something funny?
Just fans. Their dad was a PSU professor and they been going to games since the 70s. Started wearing the masks after college.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Nice article in the Athletic talking to coaches in the B12/SEC about the TCU/UGA matchup. All except 1 think UGA will win. I like the mention of tempo, which is something I've always said is part of trying to neutralize talent differential. Also talk about how well TCU was prepared for Michigan.

Excerpt from the article:

TCU has its own offensive identity under coordinator Garrett Riley, but one coach noted that when he studied the Horned Frogs this season, he saw that much of what they emphasized changed from week to week.

“We call them schemers, offensive coaches, and all they do is watch things opponents have done to you and they try to repeat them,” the coordinator said. “That’s what TCU does.”

He called out one example: TCU was waiting for Michigan to bring a corner blitz that it often utilized during the season. Quarterback Max Duggan recognized it immediately, saw the safety failed to rotate and found receiver Quentin Johnston for an easy 32-yard gain instead of a blindside sack.

“Michigan loves bringing that corner, and they exposed that,” the coordinator said. “Sometimes you think, ‘OK man, they’re stealing our signals!’ But they just do a good job of watching you and pointing out your deficiencies and attacking if you don’t execute exactly right.”

While some teams are rigid in their approach to offense — this is what we do, we’re going to do it, lean on our execution and dare you to stop it — TCU is more apt to attack deficiencies it sees in opposing defenses. Against Georgia’s defense, that’s a short list, but it may take an approach similar to LSU and Ohio State, which combined for 850 yards passing against the Bulldogs the past two games.

“It was interesting that Ohio State used tempo almost the entire game,” said one head coach who faced Georgia this season. “They’re not a consistent tempo team. The success they had was with tempo, and they wore those guys out pretty good. They were susceptible through the air because the front seven is so good it’s the only chance you have. They’re not as good in the front seven this year.”

That same head coach, though, noted that Georgia’s front seven is still the best in the country. And its best bet is to lean on tempo, which is a tactic TCU has used often in 2022.

“Georgia tries to sub defensively, and if you can go fast and keep them from doing it, that puts them in a bind

Reactions: LotusAggressor
Nice article in the Athletic talking to coaches in the B12/SEC about the TCU/UGA matchup. All except 1 think UGA will win. I like the mention of tempo, which is something I've always said is part of trying to neutralize talent differential. Also talk about how well TCU was prepared for Michigan.

Excerpt from the article:

TCU has its own offensive identity under coordinator Garrett Riley, but one coach noted that when he studied the Horned Frogs this season, he saw that much of what they emphasized changed from week to week.

“We call them schemers, offensive coaches, and all they do is watch things opponents have done to you and they try to repeat them,” the coordinator said. “That’s what TCU does.”

He called out one example: TCU was waiting for Michigan to bring a corner blitz that it often utilized during the season. Quarterback Max Duggan recognized it immediately, saw the safety failed to rotate and found receiver Quentin Johnston for an easy 32-yard gain instead of a blindside sack.

“Michigan loves bringing that corner, and they exposed that,” the coordinator said. “Sometimes you think, ‘OK man, they’re stealing our signals!’ But they just do a good job of watching you and pointing out your deficiencies and attacking if you don’t execute exactly right.”

While some teams are rigid in their approach to offense — this is what we do, we’re going to do it, lean on our execution and dare you to stop it — TCU is more apt to attack deficiencies it sees in opposing defenses. Against Georgia’s defense, that’s a short list, but it may take an approach similar to LSU and Ohio State, which combined for 850 yards passing against the Bulldogs the past two games.

“It was interesting that Ohio State used tempo almost the entire game,” said one head coach who faced Georgia this season. “They’re not a consistent tempo team. The success they had was with tempo, and they wore those guys out pretty good. They were susceptible through the air because the front seven is so good it’s the only chance you have. They’re not as good in the front seven this year.”

That same head coach, though, noted that Georgia’s front seven is still the best in the country. And its best bet is to lean on tempo, which is a tactic TCU has used often in 2022.

“Georgia tries to sub defensively, and if you can go fast and keep them from doing it, that puts them in a bind

That was a great article. One of the quotes that stood out was the coach who said "Georgia is not just talented, they're extremely well coached." Coaching is the difference maker. Even for programs that recruit at a high level. The comment about Georgia OC Todd Monken getting production out of lightly regarded recruits was also telling.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT