ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Elko

SHUSource

Hall of Famer
Jun 4, 2001
I'm surprised I've never seen Mike Elko's name posted here when the subject of replacement coaches comes up. He's a been a terrific defensive coordinator for some time now, steering top defenses at Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and now Texas A&M. And he's from South Brunswick.

I'll admit, I don't know much about his reputation or skills as a recruiter, but he's got to be one of the next coordinators to emerge as a viable head coaching candidate somewhere.

In Rutgers' case, price may be an issue, as he already makes a reported $1.8 million a year, but to be a head coach in his home state might have some appeal.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Being from NJ he will know better than to consider RU.

Half joking as I don't want another coordinator. I want a coach with CEO type experience running a program.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Honestly, don't really know enough about the guy. I think after the last two hires, if Ash is to be let go, fans will clamor for someone who already has had experience helming a successful program. I couldn't see another young coordinator getting the job.

Reactions: fsg2
Follows the Schiano model: Successful DC but also a Jersey guy. I’ll allow it.

Well he’s really proven nothing at A&M yet...their defensive numbers look good/decent because their TOP has been so lopsided so far (except for the bama game which was a cluster)

Just to keep him even with respect to compensation you'd have to up it to $2. mil. just to cover the NJ income tax and increase in property taxes he would have to pay.

Reactions: Jimpeg
And he's from South Brunswick.

his father was a great head coach at SBHS back when I was there and we were Group 1. (late 60's and seventies). Good enough that they named the field after him.

Mike the son has taken to the college level and apparently done very well. But you've got a more recent guy from SBHS there in Mantz but either way these guys are not the choice we need to make.

Repeat after me. You do not replace a failed first time head coach with another first time head coach. You certainly do not replace TWO failed first time head coaches with a 3rd first time head coach.
It doesn't much matter to me what happens; I'm just surprised he hasn't been mentioned here more often (or at least more than off-the-wall names like Chris Partridge. Jeez...).

That said, I don't think it has anything to do with being a first-time head coach. Guys either get it or they don't. Schiano (to use a local example) just got it. Ash did/does not. I don't even count Flood, since he was a desperation heave and never would've sniffed the list of candidates if the situation had been different.

I don't know much about Elko - what kind of guy he is, etc. About a year ago, though, it occurred to me that he was one of the few defensive coordinators I could think of who were clearly as good as the hype surrounding them. He always makes bad/middling defenses great. Always. Does that translate into a great head coach? I have no idea.

Repeat after me. You do not replace a failed first time head coach with another first time head coach. You certainly do not replace TWO failed first time head coaches with a 3rd first time head coach.

U silly...lol

I'm surprised I've never seen Mike Elko's name posted here when the subject of replacement coaches comes up. He's a been a terrific defensive coordinator for some time now, steering top defenses at Wake Forest, Notre Dame, and now Texas A&M. And he's from South Brunswick.

I'll admit, I don't know much about his reputation or skills as a recruiter, but he's got to be one of the next coordinators to emerge as a viable head coaching candidate somewhere.

In Rutgers' case, price may be an issue, as he already makes a reported $1.8 million a year, but to be a head coach in his home state might have some appeal.
And it's no wonder I repeat things here over and over lol....like I said you can never fully penetrate the board's conscious.

I've mentioned that name here many times....especially for those who want NJ roots. He's a good defensive coach....did some solid stuff...more with less at BG &WF with Clawson...that's why he caught the eye of Kelly at ND and then Fisher a A&M.

I want offense though but my ideal is a Bob Stoops/Gary Patterson who are defensive coaches but know what they want on offense and usually have a good idea on how to implement it and who to put in place. Stoops was influenced by Spurrier...hired Mike Leach only for 1 year at that and it's been generally rolling ever since on offense through multiple coordinators up til Riley now. Elko does have some good offensive influences like Clawson, Kelly and now Fisher so that's a good thing...similar to Alex Grinch at OSU another name I've mentioned.

All that being said though what was said above is true....hard to go back to the same well ...and after Schiano's issues on offense and now Ash's you have to be really certain a defensive coach knows how to implement and has the connections to implement a strong offense....otherwise we're going to be stuck in the same hole.

Reactions: SHUSource
If we’re going with NJ natives as candidates, Red Bank, NJ’s Al Golden might be available. If we are going the Florida route, Randy Shannon might be ready for another head coaching try — UCF, where Shannon has been DC, has been very good the last few years. And Shannon might be able to recruit a Florida athlete or two.

It doesn't much matter to me what happens; I'm just surprised he hasn't been mentioned here more often (or at least more than off-the-wall names like Chris Partridge. Jeez...).

That said, I don't think it has anything to do with being a first-time head coach. Guys either get it or they don't. Schiano (to use a local example) just got it. Ash did/does not. I don't even count Flood, since he was a desperation heave and never would've sniffed the list of candidates if the situation had been different.

I don't know much about Elko - what kind of guy he is, etc. About a year ago, though, it occurred to me that he was one of the few defensive coordinators I could think of who were clearly as good as the hype surrounding them. He always makes bad/middling defenses great. Always. Does that translate into a great head coach? I have no idea.
Schiano “got it” in like year 7. We don’t have 7 years fore someone to learn. We need plug and play

Schiano “got it” in like year 7. We don’t have 7 years fore someone to learn. We need plug and play

I'm not advocating for GS, but I have no idea what you mean by plug and play for a coach. A coach has to come in and instill a culture. That doesn't happen overnight. If RU is any good in the next 2 years, whether it is with Ash or not, it will be because that 2017 class and Sitkowski or Wise were as good as their rankings.

If not, it is another 4 year build that needs to show forward mobility (unlike this season) regardless of the coach.

Reactions: BoroKnight
In terms of game-day coaching, I'm still not sure Schiano gets it. He certainly seems stuck in one gear when it comes to the Buckeye defense.

There is no rule about whether a coordinator is a better candidate than somebody else. Some work, some don't. But I will say that just as a matter of tempting fate we should go another route, either a head guy or an offensive coach. Please.

I'm not advocating for GS, but I have no idea what you mean by plug and play for a coach. A coach has to come in and instill a culture. That doesn't happen overnight. If RU is any good in the next 2 years, whether it is with Ash or not, it will be because that 2017 class and Sitkowski or Wise were as good as their rankings.

If not, it is another 4 year build that needs to show forward mobility (unlike this season) regardless of the coach.
Plug and play means you hire a guy and his staff is in place. He’s ready to hit the road recruiting from day 1. Not interviewing people trying to sell them on him and the program.

What about Jersey Guy Phil Longo, the OC at Ole Miss?

I know an ex-head coach is preferred, but if $$$ for the next HC is a factor....

his father was a great head coach at SBHS back when I was there and we were Group 1. (late 60's and seventies). Good enough that they named the field after him.

Mike the son has taken to the college level and apparently done very well. But you've got a more recent guy from SBHS there in Mantz but either way these guys are not the choice we need to make.
That was his Uncle not his father.

Mike is a really good guy. Family man. Very very smart. Played football at Penn. he was a year younger then me but we played baseball with each other for many years.

Fun fact...the last RU football coach hired with previous HC experience was Shea 22 years ago. And that was freakin San Jose State.

Think bigger.

Exaxtly. Any "great name recruiter" wont have their kids (class of 2020) onto the field until 2022 as redshirt sophomores and true juniors.

We need someone to coach up the current team because that is who will still be on thw field for the next couple of years.

What year did graduate from SBHS? I graduated in 1971 and had the father as teacher in history in my junior year.

And it's no wonder I repeat things here over and over lol....like I said you can never fully penetrate the board's conscious.
No, I guess not - sorry I missed it! (looks like someone else had mentioned Elko, too).

I think he always got it. He knew what he had to do and where he was headed when he took over a program that was akin to a I-AA program. It was just so bad that it took some time to get there. But as far as instilling a culture and knowing how to manage a program - from the president and AD right down to the high school coaches and players - he certain did get.

Great game day coach? Perhaps not.

Reactions: vkj91
No, I guess not - sorry I missed it! (looks like someone else had mentioned Elko, too).
Nothing to be sorry about lol it's thousands of people here.... everyone doesn't read everything and people miss things....I say I repeat things here ad nauseam not because I like "hearing myself type" but just because I want to have info and points penetrate the "conscious" of the board as much as possible because it makes for informed and better discussion. I miss crap too..who cares lol.

If we’re going with NJ natives as candidates, Red Bank, NJ’s Al Golden might be available. If we are going the Florida route, Randy Shannon might be ready for another head coaching try — UCF, where Shannon has been DC, has been very good the last few years. And Shannon might be able to recruit a Florida athlete or two.
Shannon: YES
Golden and DOnofrio: HELL NO!!!!!

Nothing less than a NAME coach who will have kids waiting in line to commit to him.We have gone the other routes too often . We need a true Program Saver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT