ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Rice's New Gig and Interview with Carino

Why is this school/academy needed? Nike?

Maybe someone has a good explanation and I am seeing it wrong.

Great coach. No doubt that they will succeed in the court.

I'm confused. Is he taking the entire Patrick School team with him to this new school? What happens to the Patrick School's program then? Do they need to build from scratch or move up their JV?

Hopefully he unlocks the potential of a bunch of young athletes through the magic of racial slurs and physical abuse.
That's what I'm talking about. Old school, none of this time out because the guy made fun of my last name.

Looks like he's going to be sticking with coaching at the HS level for awhile at least and might eventually become thought of like Kevin Boyle is now when discussing top HS MBB HCs.

Hoping Mike gets back in the college ranks as a HC, but being considered a top HS Basketball coach isn't too shabby in itself.

More like coaching at the AAU level based on the kind of school.
I was going by reading this in article: >"The new high school, which opens this summer, aims to compete on a national hardwood level in the vein of Florida powerhouse IMG Academy. The Windsor Athletic Club in West Windsor will be its training center and Nike will be a sponsor. It won’t be a full-fledged member of the NJSIAA, but may compete in the association’s Prep A tract with St. Benedict’s and Blair Academy."<

I in no way condone the prior heavy-handed coaching style that got Rice into trouble at RU, but I always liked the man and think he's both a very good coach and a very good teacher of basketball. It is unfortunate that despite paying his dues and addressing his anger issues, he's never gotten another shot at the college level.

Someone saw how much money IMG makes and wants to do that here.
If IMG is the model then they might want to focus on Tennis because that's what IMG was all about back in 1978 with the Nick Bollettieri boarding school for tennis players.

Funny story -
Was at Hoops Group at a pick up game. Over hard some screaming and somebody asked who is that asshole - and the reply was Mike Rice.

Yup. He hasn’t learned anything. Was carrying on like a maniac in the stands at his son’s high school game a few years ago. Even got thrown out of one of them.

Yup. He hasn’t learned anything. Was carrying on like a maniac in the stands at his son’s high school game a few years ago. Even got thrown out of one of them.
From the nj.com article you are referencing:
"...Two Point Beach parents who witnessed the ejection said Rice was unfairly singled out by the official.
''He did not deserve to be thrown out," said Mike Frauenheim, a former high school coach who has two sons on the Point Beach team. "It could have been 20 people who screamed out; Mike didn't say a word. I was sitting two rows behind him...."

Despite cleaning up his act, Rice does have a unique persona. I'm sure since the public embarrassment, he is now very conscious of his behavior - in public and behind closed doors. To state he was "acting like a maniac" based on nj.com headline is just piling on.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
He admitted he was thrown out, but there's more to the story than just that.
>NJ.com says Rice confirmed the ejection and described it as “a complete misunderstanding.”

“There was probably 700 people screaming at the top of their lungs,” Rice told NJ.com. “He pointed over at where our [team’s] parents were sitting. I still have a hard time believing he actually said me because I probably would say two things the whole time. I can actually count on one hand how many times I’ve commented to a referee this whole year.”

Rice’s son’s team lost the game, but they are considered one of the best teams in the state.

In defense of Rice, some parents say the former coach was singled out by the officials. The school’s athletic director also said they had no problem with the behavior of any of the parents.<

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/mike-rice-ejected-son-basketball-game/255716

He admitted he was thrown out, but there's more to the story than just that.
>NJ.com says Rice confirmed the ejection and described it as “a complete misunderstanding.”

“There was probably 700 people screaming at the top of their lungs,” Rice told NJ.com. “He pointed over at where our [team’s] parents were sitting. I still have a hard time believing he actually said me because I probably would say two things the whole time. I can actually count on one hand how many times I’ve commented to a referee this whole year.”

Rice’s son’s team lost the game, but they are considered one of the best teams in the state.

In defense of Rice, some parents say the former coach was singled out by the officials. The school’s athletic director also said they had no problem with the behavior of any of the parents.<

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/mike-rice-ejected-son-basketball-game/255716
Hilarious that it's from a site called "Larry Brown Sports."

From the nj.com article you are referencing:
"...Two Point Beach parents who witnessed the ejection said Rice was unfairly singled out by the official.
''He did not deserve to be thrown out," said Mike Frauenheim, a former high school coach who has two sons on the Point Beach team. "It could have been 20 people who screamed out; Mike didn't say a word. I was sitting two rows behind him...."

Despite cleaning up his act, Rice does have a unique persona. I'm sure since the public embarrassment, he is now very conscious of his behavior - in public and behind closed doors. To state he was "acting like a maniac" based on nj.com headline is just piling on.
Mike, good to have you on the board. Lots of posters seem to miss you despite your horrific shortcomings.

In fairness to Mr Rice - there are a lot of coaches who behave similarly - and just want to win. The circumstances of what happened at Rutgers was just simply wrong and perhaps out of context. Like Bannon before him - both would have been successful at RU in the long run. It just seems that things of this mature happen only at RU and are ignored, swept under the rug or get overlooked elsewhere.

Reactions: Friend of 112
In fairness to Mr Rice - there are a lot of coaches who behave similarly - and just want to win. The circumstances of what happened at Rutgers was just simply wrong and perhaps out of context. Like Bannon before him - both would have been successful at RU in the long run. It just seems that things of this mature happen only at RU and are ignored, swept under the rug or get overlooked elsewhere.

Then I'm glad we're RU and not Elsewhere State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT