ADVERTISEMENT

MLax Cracks Top 10, WLax In Top 25

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

MLax now 10th in the nation, and WLax now 23rd (RVs). Both with big opportunities vs ranked OSU teams this week.

Not sure how we are behind Syracuse who got embarrassed on their home field but whatever. Lots of lacrosse go.

BIG opportunity this weekend at OSU.
Idk how Hopkins is 21st after being humiliated by OSU last week. All 6 B1G men's lax teams are Top 25 and all 7 B1G women's lax teams are Top 25 as well. Brutal conference from top to bottom.

Idk how Hopkins is 21st after being humiliated by OSU last week. All 6 B1G men's lax teams are Top 25 and all 7 B1G women's lax teams are Top 25 as well. Brutal conference from top to bottom.

Yea, it's going to be interesting. With no OOC games due to the B1G's draconian Covid rules, there are going to be teams with some unimpressive records, yet still very good.

I predicted Hopkins would finish last in the conference. I stand by that even after seeing Michigan get an absolute drubbing.

Maryland though. They are a problem.

Reactions: AdamsGarden
Not sure how we are behind Syracuse who got embarrassed on their home field but whatever. Lots of lacrosse go.

BIG opportunity this weekend at OSU.
Was going to post the same. Syracuse gets their asses kicked & we beat previously no6 Penn State & they're ranked ahead of us. Name bias.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker

Yep. No easy outs. Hopkins might very well be the easiest now and they are the most storied program in the sport. Crazy to have to play only each other in what is a months long round robin tournament.

Yea, it's going to be interesting. With no OOC games due to the B1G's draconian Covid rules, there are going to be teams with some unimpressive records, yet still very good.

I predicted Hopkins would finish last in the conference. I stand by that even after seeing Michigan get an absolute drubbing.

Maryland though. They are a problem.
Leaving health out of it (we get it, covid positives could cripple a team)...we will beat Hopkins both times and we should beat Michigan both times...of course I'm saying that as a fan, not a player or coach...they have to do the dirty work and prepare and execute...

With that said, we already got 1 vs PSU...

This weekend is huge...getting an early road win in this season at OSU would carry a big advantage...it doesn't take rocket science to look at the long view here...with no Ivies, I think the big ten automatically gets 2 teams in the tourney and probably 3 this year...so getting to the three seed is key...that means beating OSU at least once...maybe 2 times...or, beating PSU again...

For us, the path on paper (not in real life) is simple...beat Hop and UM twice...that's 4 wins...and get 2, maybe 3 of 4 from OSU and PSU...not easy...but that's what it will take to get in

I've left out MD and the tourney...those are wild cards...

Reactions: Caliknight
Leaving health out of it (we get it, covid positives could cripple a team)...we will beat Hopkins both times and we should beat Michigan both times...of course I'm saying that as a fan, not a player or coach...they have to do the dirty work and prepare and execute...

With that said, we already got 1 vs PSU...

This weekend is huge...getting an early road win in this season at OSU would carry a big advantage...it doesn't take rocket science to look at the long view here...with no Ivies, I think the big ten automatically gets 2 teams in the tourney and probably 3 this year...so getting to the three seed is key...that means beating OSU at least once...maybe 2 times...or, beating PSU again...

For us, the path on paper (not in real life) is simple...beat Hop and UM twice...that's 4 wins...and get 2, maybe 3 of 4 from OSU and PSU...not easy...but that's what it will take to get in

I've left out MD and the tourney...those are wild cards...

Agree with all that. One at time though. OSU is going to present some different challenges. They will be ready to play. One wildcard- their top face off guy didn't play v Hopkins. Will he be back? They had their do everything middie Terefenko taking draws. That kid is the engine of that team. Wear him down, put a focus on Leclair at attack making other people score, and it's going to be game. Would love to see us have the performance from Colin Kirst and Dugenio that we saw against PSU. That would help our cause tremendously. Definitely possible. Gotta think the kids are going to have a good week of practice. An obvious vet group that won't allow this last big win to carry over.

Agree with all that. One at time though. OSU is going to present some different challenges. They will be ready to play. One wildcard- their top face off guy didn't play v Hopkins. Will he be back? They had their do everything middie Terefenko taking draws. That kid is the engine of that team. Wear him down, put a focus on Leclair at attack making other people score, and it's going to be game. Would love to see us have the performance from Colin Kirst and Dugenio that we saw against PSU. That would help our cause tremendously. Definitely possible. Gotta think the kids are going to have a good week of practice. An obvious vet group that won't allow this last big win to carry over.
One game at a time....

No easy games in this league

Nice recognition but way too early to be concerned about that. This program has been ranked high in the past and has not always handled it well. Also Top 25 in Lax is not the same as other sports given the more limited number of schools who sponsor a program. Really need to be Top 15 to have a shot at the tournament.

I didn't get to watch much of the game, but how was Dugenio? His stat-line was pedestrian, but we didn't give up back-to-backs or fast breaks from what I saw. Was that *him* or was that the new rule changes?

I didn't get to watch much of the game, but how was Dugenio? His stat-line was pedestrian, but we didn't give up back-to-backs or fast breaks from what I saw. Was that *him* or was that the new rule changes?

I definitely wouldn't call him pedestrian. He won 48% of faceoffs. The goal is 50%. He played very well. Especially in the fourth Q. You have to give credit to the wings too. The kid he was going up against was an AA last year, and the other kid they have was one of the most highly recruited f/o kids last year.

You will be pleasantly surprised if he is able to keep this up.

We won 31 groundballs to their 29.

I definitely wouldn't call him pedestrian. He won 48% of faceoffs. The goal is 50%. He played very well. Especially in the fourth Q. You have to give credit to the wings too. The kid he was going up against was an AA last year, and the other kid they have was one of the most highly recruited f/o kids last year.

This conference is a bitch...if you can compete and stay around 50% at the X...that is rock solid...essentially what your doing is then putting it on the rest of the team to go win individual battles, compete, and win...if we can stay in the 46-50% range this year (all big ten games remind you)...this team will compete...

It's one game...every game in this conference is tough...but getting out of the gate at 1-0 vs a highly ranked PSU team was huge....

This is now a huge game in Columbus...for many reasons...

Look, it's the coaches and the teams job to stay in the week and the moment, one week and game at a time...thats their job...as fans, we can analyze, look ahead, discuss scenarios, all of that...were fans...we do that...OSU will be very tough...but RU is gonna be a tough out this year...

So this game right now is huge for the long view and I'm not getting to far ahead and here is why...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the conference will likely get three bids to the NCAA...I feel pretty safe in saying Maryland gets one of those bids...I also personally think Hopkins and UM are a step below this year...just my opinion...so here is what I am getting at...I see three teams competing for 2 spots...PSU, RU, OSU...1 team is gonna be left out looking in...

You go win in Columbus this weekend...that's all I'll say...it won't be easy and we will not be the favorite...but a win opens up a lot of possibilities...

It's up to the team and the coaches to prepare and execute...I'm just a fan on a board 😜

This conference is a bitch...if you can compete and stay around 50% at the X...that is rock solid...essentially what your doing is then putting it on the rest of the team to go win individual battles, compete, and win...if we can stay in the 46-50% range this year (all big ten games remind you)...this team will compete...

It's one game...every game in this conference is tough...but getting out of the gate at 1-0 vs a highly ranked PSU team was huge....

This is now a huge game in Columbus...for many reasons...

Look, it's the coaches and the teams job to stay in the week and the moment, one week and game at a time...thats their job...as fans, we can analyze, look ahead, discuss scenarios, all of that...were fans...we do that...OSU will be very tough...but RU is gonna be a tough out this year...

So this game right now is huge for the long view and I'm not getting to far ahead and here is why...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the conference will likely get three bids to the NCAA...I feel pretty safe in saying Maryland gets one of those bids...I also personally think Hopkins and UM are a step below this year...just my opinion...so here is what I am getting at...I see three teams competing for 2 spots...PSU, RU, OSU...1 team is gonna be left out looking in...

You go win in Columbus this weekend...that's all I'll say...it won't be easy and we will not be the favorite...but a win opens up a lot of possibilities...

It's up to the team and the coaches to prepare and execute...I'm just a fan on a board 😜

Speaking of f/o's, their fogo didn't play v Hop. They had Terefenko taking some draws. Would be nice for us if that holds true.

I want to see us slide timely to Leclaire and make the others guys beat us. I am a big proponent of not letting a teams alpha be the catalyst in a game. Make the other guys perform. OSU has talent around him, but I don't want to see him scoring all their goals. Our close guys played sound 1 on 1 D. That bodes well.

To be clear: i called the stat-line pedestrian; not him.

To be clear: i called the stat-line pedestrian; not him.

48% I'd say is solid. And i know you know the game. You will like what you see when you see it.

These new rules put a premium on groundballs and being able to run with it after you pick it up. I noticed Arceri from Penn St, who a great fogo, isn't that athletic. He has trouble in traffic.

Dugenio isn't the biggest kid, but he is strong, and quick, and once he picks it up, he is athletic and can run from trouble. He's also aggressive in going to the hoop when he does putting pressure on the D when possible. I love that. That kid is going to score some this year.

On a side note, I hope we are developing other guys. With these new rules, there are going to be injuries to these face off guys. The scrums and collusions are going to be often and aggressive. I heard some disturbing news about PSU's back up kid who is a freshmen. If it's even half true I am not sure that kid should be playing organized lacrosse anymore, much less at the D1 level.

Only one part of one game under my belt, so my read on the new rules is likely part of the issue on my end. I am hopeful we can get back to having some taller FO guys, in addition to the fire hydrants that have dominated the last 20 years. Facing off used to have so much more creativity than the 2-3 moves that have been utilized of late.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT