ADVERTISEMENT

Most Exciting Play You Saw by Rutgers Football

For me it's got to be the Savage to Brown TD pass against UConn.
The looks on the faces of the UConn fans and players were priceless. I was watching on TV and I jumped out of my chair and ran around the room. It was fantastic!!!

Was at the game, the look on ALL the fans after the game, as they walked out & while they were in the parking lot was fantastic!!!

In person it would be something from USF in 2007 (Underwood's TD or Andrew Depaola trick pass to Kevin Brock or Zaire Kitchen INT to end game). On TV it would be Brown TD, Rice Burst vs Pitt or Ito kick vs L'ville.

For volume alone Turay's FG block against Michigan. It was home. Savage to Brown was a
InsistentCostlyAmericanbadger
way and it was a daggar.....just brutal.

http://marcusd1.blogspot.com/2014/10/michigan-attempts-56-yard-field-goal.html

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
How about Sanu with the longest TD from scrimmage in RU history (against UNC, I believe) .. at 95 yards (?).

Screen pass to Leonard.
This! The stadium might have been the loudest ever with this play. Heck, listen to the reply someone in the box is yelling and you can hear it during the broadcast.

Reactions: asgot
The looks on the faces of the UConn fans and players were priceless. I was watching on TV and I jumped out of my chair and ran around the room. It was fantastic!!!

As soon as I saw the thread title I came here to post Timmy to the house. I hyperventilated while he broke free and for five minutes after he scored.

This! The stadium might have been the loudest ever with this play. Heck, listen to the reply someone in the box is yelling and you can hear it during the broadcast.
Happens at the 7:19 mark:

I think people think more about offensive highlights.. but the 4th QTR defensive pressure and sacks on Brohm vs Louisville in 2006.. just insanely loud and exciting.

Reactions: ssstevem and beaced
Ryan Neill's INT return for a TD against MSU in 2004?

Rice huge run against Pitt in 2006?

BL screen or Ito FG against Louisville in 2006? The final sack?

Teel to Brown bomb in the Texas Bowl? Or maybe Frierson INT in 2nd half.

Nova to Tsimis TD against Michigan? Or the Turay block?

Reactions: ATIOH
Terrill Willis' run against Virginia Tech when 7 or 8 defenders tried to tackle him and missed. We lost the game though. Also the plays that you guys have already mentioned.

1) Swing pass to Leonard on the final drive of the Louisville game.
2) Final play of Louisville game
3) Turay blocked kick against Michigan.
4) Brantley's TD against VT
5) Final play stopping Penn State to win
6) Stopping Michigan State on fourth down to seal the win.
7) Grant's second kick return at the end of Arkansas game
8) Underwood's TD against USF
9) Tim Brown's TD at end of CT game
10) Onside kick against Florida near end of the game to set up the tie

Ryan Neill's INT return for a TD against MSU in 2004?

Rice huge run against Pitt in 2006?

BL screen or Ito FG against Louisville in 2006? The final sack?

Teel to Brown bomb in the Texas Bowl? Or maybe Frierson INT in 2nd half.

Nova to Tsimis TD against Michigan? Or the Turay block?
Ryan Neil's play was my #1 until Tim Brown's catch. We'll have bigger wins, but in terms of sheer excitement, Savage to Brown will be hard to top.

Ito's field goal

I never felt like we were out of that game though. Ito's kick was more important for the program, but it was a "makeable" play.

That catch though... oh man.

-81 yards out, 30 seconds left and they'd shut us out for the second half.
-Schiano brilliantly calling those timeouts on UCONNs last drive, even though we were leading
-Jasper Howard, etc.

Reactions: asgot

Read your title and thought "tim brown" immediately. Great minds : )

2009 was the year that really cemented me as a huge RU football fan, and that play is the best memory.

The successful onside kick put us in FG range after we tied it (not to set up the tie) with less than 2 minutes to go. A fumble on third down kept us from attempting the game winning FG. It was, however, a huge play at the time.

I will never forget being at that game and how exciting that finish was and storming the field! I remember we were down big throughout the game and in the 4th. How sweet it was!

That was the first game I ever want to as a kid.

Great list!!!. A couple of small quibbles - I would put Brown's TD vs. UConn higher, and would also find a spot in the Top 10 for Devraun Thompson's goal line tackle vs. Cincinnati in 2006.

Reactions: colbert17
I never felt like we were out of that game though. Ito's kick was more important for the program, but it was a "makeable" play.

That catch though... oh man.

-81 yards out, 30 seconds left and they'd shut us out for the second half.
-Schiano brilliantly calling those timeouts on UCONNs last drive, even though we were leading
-Jasper Howard, etc.
The surreal atmosphere of the Louisville game is definitely worth remembering, it began long before the game started, walking the lots was different than any other sporting event I've ever attended...it was incredible.

Your statement of never feeling like we were out of that game was part of that specialness, I too felt a calm combined with all that excitement that I've never felt previous or since....holy shite, that night was amazing

Great list!!!. A couple of small quibbles - I would put Brown's TD vs. UConn higher, and would also find a spot in the Top 10 for Devraun Thompson's goal line tackle vs. Cincinnati in 2006.
You mean against UNC? At Cincy did not provide much excitement that year.

Reactions: rutger80
Best plays all together NOTHING good Lousiville game entire 2nd half. The most exciting event I've ever been at

Tosh Riddick pulling away.

First time (with my own eyes) when I thought we might make it happen here.

Rutgers leading #1 miami by nine
Late in first half. Miami driving down field when Nate Jones picks off Ken Dorsey and returns it 100 yds for a touchdown which would put RU up by 16 pts.
But wait the BE has had enough and thier was a phantom pass interference call. The only one who saw it wink wink was the official.

-10 wasn't that Munez? One of my favorites

Tosh Riddick pulling away.

First time (with my own eyes) when I thought we might make it happen here.

Was that the reception against West Virginia in 1998 with him ruining down the east sideline? I remember him easily pulling away from the secondary too and thinking a bowl game was in reach... we just had to wait a few more years.

Agree with most on this thread. Some I didn't see:

Hamilton's stop against maryland

Laviano 4th down spike

D.C. Jefferson td against Louisville and the house was going crazy, but a phantom penalty negated it otherwise we are sugar

Barchi press conference firing flood and Herman

I have to say the fake FG for a TD in 2012 against Louisville in the defacto Big East championship ... it was so shocking and then euphoric .. I thought we were going to the Sugar Bowl. But the Big East refs had to give it to us one last time on our way out and called ineligible man downfield which was clearly not after shown later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT