ADVERTISEMENT

Mulligan

RU96inNC

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2011
he looked very impressive to me today during his win! How high of a recruit was he? Is he ranked at 197 now?

Just looked like he had a lot more strength than the UMD wrestler. He looks bigger than 197.

he looked very impressive to me today during his win! How high of a recruit was he? Is he ranked at 197 now?

Just looked like he had a lot more strength than the UMD wrestler. He looks bigger than 197.

I think Mulligan will have a solid year this season. He is not ranked and is a good sized 197. I would not really take anything out of today's match, the kid from Maryland wrestled 174 last season and is only in the lineup due to Maryland's lack of depth. He will have a hard time winning any matches at 197

Actually a little worried about Mulligan. Looked very one dimensional against a very inferior opponent. Not bashing him at all just expected more. Surprised he couldn't work more from top position. Love all our guys just an observation. Hopefully he gets better and better as he gains experience.

I actually think he is one of the brightest futures of our guys. He has proved to be better then Correnti and I think as time goes by he will be on the podium at some point.

Reactions: KidDagger
I actually think he is one of the brightest futures of our guys. He has proved to be better then Correnti and I think as time goes by he will be on the podium at some point.

That's pretty bold. There are a boatload of top-notch 197s in the NCAA pipeline. Not saying it's impossible, but I haven't seen anything in my limited exposure that indicates that kind of upside.

I got a kick out of your post. Although tall, Mulligan is under-strength for a D1 195 pounder. Last year, his RS year, he was frankly, slender, and it showed....I'm sure he could have made 186 last year. if the coaching staff wanted him to. This year, it appears there are some signs of added weight and mass to his frame. However, it is obvious in his first few matches, that he still needs to gain strength to be able to compete with the upper echelon of D1 195 wrestlers. Mulligan will be a work in progress, and will only be able to reach his potential if he can continue to add strength and muscle to his naturally-lean frame. Let's see what transpires with Mulligan over the next 3+ years. Anyone expecting him to light the world on fire this year is being overly optimistic.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I got a kick out of your post. Although tall, Mulligan is under-strength for a D1 195 pounder. Last year, his RS year, he was frankly, slender, and it showed....I'm sure he could have made 186 last year. if the coaching staff wanted him to. This year, it appears there are some signs of added weight and mass to his frame. However, it is obvious in his first few matches, that he still needs to gain strength to be able to compete with the upper echelon of D1 195 wrestlers. Mulligan will be a work in progress, and will only be able to reach his potential if he can continue to add strength and muscle to his naturally-lean frame. Let's see what transpires with Mulligan over the next 3+ years. Anyone expecting him to light the world on fire this year is being overly optimistic.

This ^^^^^^^^ 197lbers are massive guys and so strong(the top 15 type guys). Mulligan still needs to get much stronger. Going into the season I figured he would be solid, around 500 and if he qualified for the tournament that would be great.

Does the wrestling team use the same S&C coach as the football team (Parker) ?

Mulligan has skill but certainly is not an upper echelon 197 right now. I think Correnti was a lot better. Don't what happened in 1 match in Nov last year. Like said above he needs to get a lot stronger. If anyone saw Caywood match today he got man handled. I know Caywood is good but shows how far he needs to still go to get there.

Correnti was super-drained first part of last season trying to make weight at 197, and it definitely showed on the mat then (against Mulligan, and outside comp). He started to come on in 2nd half last year after his body adjusted, somewhat, but no doubt Correnti's best weight is HWT in college....his frame should be able to carry 240+, after 1 or 2 years of good S&C I expect to see a DJ Russo-type career (hopefully a little better) once he fills back into the bigger weight, after this RS year. I also hope that last year's 197 "experiment" didn't set him back physically in some way, long term.

Mulligan has skill but certainly is not an upper echelon 197 right now. I think Correnti was a lot better. Don't what happened in 1 match in Nov last year. Like said above he needs to get a lot stronger. If anyone saw Caywood match today he got man handled. I know Caywood is good but shows how far he needs to still go to get there.

Coach basically said in his preseason interview that he doesn't know yet what he has at 197 but will surely find out as the season progresses. That's still the story. $$$$

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT