ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Johnson having “an unbelievable off season”...

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
....per Pike from his “on the banks” interview

You can see this kid has Unbelievable upside and he has a few double doubles in games last year when his number WASNT called much

If he gets enough touches, Improves his free throw shooting, and can stay on the court for 24 mpg...l really can see this kid being a near 10-10 guy from us

Not sure he will see 8 shots a game (some which he gets fouled on and gets free throw which don’t count ias attempt) to score that much...but if he does...I can see him as a 10-10 guy

Love the kid’s upside. A true center with good (and improving) hands and footwork, great court vision and passing touch, and a long-armed guy with enough athleticism to be an outstanding rebounder, shot-blocker and in-the-paint scorer for us. He’s also an excellent teammate who is a plus in the all-important chemistry factor. Awesome to hear he’s having a phenomenal off-season. Wow.

Very happy to have Johnson on the Banks.

I thought Peter Kiss would have transferred. It shows how much this team is committed to each other. I am sure he carves out a spot for himself.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Great interview...no need to ask about tampering. He answers the questions the right way and I am very happy tampering wasn't brought up. Gives more time for questions that really matter.

Very happy to have Johnson on the Banks.

I thought Peter Kiss would have transferred. It shows how much this team is committed to each other. I am sure he carves out a spot for himself.

I was glad to hear Pikiell say Kiss was working on his ball handling. Last year he spotted up at the 3 point line....but, he had so many missed opportunities for a ball fake and then drive. Maybe because his ball handling was below average.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
With both the extended three point line AND our newfound glut of shooters, I have to think that MJ will have more space to operate underneath one on one. I'd love to see more of an inside out offense that works to make sure he gets touches on every possession - he has the BBIQ to kick the ball out to open shooters on the perimeter if there's nothing there, find the open man if he's doubled, or take his man to the rim if he's isolated. I think he could have a really great year with more of an open half-court offense, provided he can stay out of foul trouble (which should hopefully improve with more S&C and practice reps).

I was glad to hear Pikiell say Kiss was working on his ball handling. Last year he spotted up at the 3 point line....but, he had so many missed opportunities for a ball fake and then drive. Maybe because his ball handling was below average.

I was expecting more last season from Kiss.

There is a lot of competiton for minutes with the guards. We will see what he can do.

Can't wait to see Myles in action the next 3 years. I believe he will become one of the greatest RU big men.
Anyone else find it odd that a player with good hands and good touch from inside is a terrible FT shooter?

Still don't like his answer about the scheduling but you can't win em all.

Great interview

Still don't like his answer about the scheduling but you can't win em all.

Great interview

You want to hear, but in the end really don't....."Hobbs did a terrible job with our schedule. Our goal is the NCAA tournament and it will be tough to get there with this joke of a schedule."

You want to hear, but in the end really don't....."Hobbs did a terrible job with our schedule. Our goal is the NCAA tournament and it will be tough to get there with this joke of a schedule."

How much does Hobbs have to do with the basketball schedule? I thought Pike mostly set the OOC schedule, other than the SHU game and the ACC or BE challenge games.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Great interview...no need to ask about tampering. He answers the questions the right way and I am very happy tampering wasn't brought up. Gives more time for questions that really matter.
No need to ask about tampering? Carino got the fans inflamed over Tampering. I feared for Ed Cooley's life for a few minutes.

Well, if we're covering all the bases and a question was asked about EO transferring, tampering could have been part of an EO question.

No need to ask about tampering? Carino got the fans inflamed over Tampering. I feared for Ed Cooley's life for a few minutes.

Well, if we're covering all the bases and a question was asked about EO transferring, tampering could have been part of an EO question.
Not sure if you're serious about the tampering question, but you wouldn't have gotten anything out of Pike.

Not sure if you're serious about the tampering question, but you wouldn't have gotten anything out of Pike.
Yes, I was serious. Probably wouldn't have gotten anything out of him, if you ask if EO was tampered with. But you can ask a tampering question: "Carino believes EO was tampered with. Do you believe tampering happens frequently in college basketball? What, if anything, can the NCAA do about it?"

Yes, I was serious. Probably wouldn't have gotten anything out of him, if you ask if EO was tampered with. But you can ask a tampering question: "Carino believes EO was tampered with. Do you believe tampering happens frequently in college basketball? What, if anything, can the NCAA do about it?"
That's really not Aaron's style. Carino can ask him next time he interviews him, if he thinks its important to get into. It was his issue, not AB.

Pike is not going to answer the question, he is moving forward. Only an aggressive tabloid journalist would ask the question. Some journalists have a higher standard than that.

Does he have a twin? Foul trouble ? Injury?EtcEtc. I am glad to hear this but Doorson whatever his offensive limitations was a space eating presence . We had two big bodies. Now? 1.

Like that Pike didn't try to downplay expectations in any way. Very positive & candid re: our prospects.

Last edited:
Pike is not going to answer the question, he is moving forward. Only an aggressive tabloid journalist would ask the question. Some journalists have a higher standard than that.
Sometimes a reporter has to ask a tough/probing question. Don't have to be rude when asking it. In the example I cited there wasn't a question about whether EO was tampered with. Just a broad view question about tampering.

You know this for a 100% fact?

A good AD and HC have a good idea about the goals and expectations for the program. If a HC was looking at a scheduled game in Japan that was going to be played against an opponent or an entry into a holiday event tournament on the Virgin islands, Bahamas or something special, those items are based on invitation and/or a special situation that could be marketed for alumni travel etc...usually those are done many months in advance.

That would be an isolated situation but the HC has the full control over the roster, schedule etc. There would be no reason for an AD to have any idea on what schools or opponents should or shouldn't be scheduled from an OOC point of view.

All MBB programs draw a profit in major conference so there's no fear of lost revenue or opportunities via scheduling like it does in football.

Can't wait to see Myles in action the next 3 years. I believe he will become one of the greatest RU big men.
Anyone else find it odd that a player with good hands and good touch from inside is a terrible FT shooter?
Gotta remember also that the kid hadn't played in two years. He's gonna make a big jump, probably the biggest jump of all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT