ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Myles Johnson is in the transfer portal

Listen we all know that Myles was a great defensive player, maybe even one of the best overall defensive big men in the country. BUT he was awful on offense and we can much more easily replace his defensive contributions with Cliff compared to what we are losing with Young leaving. People won't want to hear this but the truth is Myles scored 14 combined points in last the 3 games of the season and his missed dunk and inability to get a defensive rebound late in the game cost us the Houston game. Again he was solid overall but nothing close to the "Rutgers Legend" some are making him out to be

This narrative is crazy. He was not awful on offense. He was a key part of our offense, and the rest of the players on the team performed better offensively while he was on the court.

In rotations with Johnson on the floor, we scored much more often than rotations without Johnson. He touched the ball almost every time down the floor, either at the top (pulling his defender away from the rim) or in the post (drawing doubles and kicking it out). He was also the only guy on our team who hit the offensive glass (4.7 ORb/40 to Omoruyi's 2.2).

The fact that you even introduce the word “failure” with Pikiell to keep Sanders, Omoruyi and now Myles on the banks is just dumb.

You’re overreacting my man. I didn’t say he “failed” until page four or whatever after you pressed me so you making your argument now that about using “Failure” is a bit disingenuous. If you don’t succeed than you fail. I don’t know what to tell you I didn’t make it a big deal you did.

Our offense worked better with Johnson on the floor than off the floor, whether or not he himself was averaging double digits.

Wish him the best of luck - door is still open if he chooses not to leave!
The real B1G Defensive player of the year will be missed and tough to easily replace. Can? Yes. Will? Who knows.

But also, having a shot blocker changes opponents' offensive strategy and has them altering shots, penetrating to the rim less often, etc. The benefits of a shot blocker go beyond the # of blocks.

No doubt. Glad cliff will fit in a top shot blocker too though not a as prodigious

This narrative is crazy. He was not awful on offense. He was a key part of our offense, and the rest of the players on the team performed better offensively while he was on the court.

In rotations with Johnson on the floor, we scored much more often than rotations without Johnson. He touched the ball almost every time down the floor, either at the top (pulling his defender away from the rim) or in the post (drawing doubles and kicking it out). He was also the only guy on our team who hit the offensive glass (4.7 ORb/40 to Omoruyi's 2.2).
I think it's crazy how some people have zero trust in our coaching staff to develop Cliff. He got better every game during the season and has a natural athletic ability that Myles just doesn't have. He reminds me a lot of Mitchell Robinson on the Knicks. When it comes to Myles offensive production at the end of the day he wasn't a big man we could throw the ball to in the post and expect him to be able to get a bucket plain and simple. Myles had 14 combined points in the 3 biggest games of the year, we badly need more offensive production down low whether it be Cliff, Harrar or someone else

Reactions: shields
Just saw this so I haven't read through all the posts so this comes from me.
Myles was a credit to RU and you couldn't find a better person to represent the university. He will be remembered for being a key part of our first NCAA tournament team in 30 years and defensively he was tremendous and will be sorely missed on that end of the floor.
However on the other end of the court he was a liability due to his lack of an offensive low post game and his poor foul shooting. If you were going to start a team and were going to pick a center Myles may not be in the top 5 or 6 in the B1G 10.
Taking nothing away from Myles the person or basketball player but in a different thread I mentioned that a big goal for next season would be the development of an inside game for us to be successful. Time to step up and put on your big boy pants Cliff.
We always want Jersey kids to come home and now California is calling one of her sons home. Looking at that UCLA team Myles would be a perfect fit and would have an excellent coach. Best of luck to you in your future and all you hope to achieve. Thanks again for everything you've contributed to the rise of RU basketball. See you in the tournament next year.

Go RU!!!

Reactions: knight82
Thank goodness we have Cliff. There is hope that Cliff will make great strides and soften the blow of Myles leaving. Obviously we need another big and I am totally on board with Harrar.

Reactions: koko2315
Looking forward to see Cliff develop with a lot of playing time. Not worried about this at all.

Absolutely love Myles. Very sorry to see him go. He will be sorely missed. He is both a great guy and basketball player. I wish him well!

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
You’re overreacting my man. I didn’t say he “failed” until page four or whatever after you pressed me so you making your argument now that about using “Failure” is a bit disingenuous. If you don’t succeed than you fail. I don’t know what to tell you I didn’t make it a big deal you did.

You didn’t say it until page 4 but you meant it in your initial post lol.

I remember these same discussions back with Sanders and you were saying Pikiell failed to re recruit him as well.

I’ll try not to “over react” but it’s not easy when you have some bizarre takes and beat the crap out of them over and over.

We have liabilities on offense. Myles was not one of them. We had the guy from Houston play in obvious pain and win the title of ultimate warrior. Anyone who didn’t think Myles was significantly hampered by his injury wasn’t watching. If Rutgers wins and there is no #3 on Houston the narrative would be Myles Johnson is Willis Reed

Not a Rutgers legend? In one post you completely dismiss any of the accomplishments he has had on or off the court for RU and what he has meant to this team and to fans. He has accomplished something here that other teams haven’t done in 30yrs
Just a classless post and Dick move

you are the type of fan that should just go find another team
Myles was a solid player and very important part of this year tourney team that made it for the first time in 30 years and we are all thankful for his contributions. But are you really going to call him a all time Rutgers great just for playing major mins on this team. That is pathetic and extremely disrespectful to actual greats in this programs history which lasts longer then the past 30 years. Geo has earned legend status 100% but are we really going to say that for every player in the rotation on this years team give me a break

You didn’t say it until page 4 but you meant it in your initial post lol.

I remember these same discussions back with Sanders and you were saying Pikiell failed to re recruit him as well.

I’ll try not to “over react” but it’s not easy when you have some bizarre takes and beat the crap out of them over and over.

You’re saying it’s a “take”. It’s just is what it is and it’s ok.

You’re saying it’s a “take”. It’s just is what it is and it’s ok.

99% of coaches would have “failed” to keep Sanders and Myles. They left the program because they had amazing opportunities for their professional and academic growth.

The only coaches that would have kept Omoruyi are the ones that would have gotten him paid.

That’s why it’s a “take” and a bad one.

Reactions: Scarlet Beach
Some other bombshell transfer news reports out there now...brace yourselves

Myles was someone I thought could eventually be a grad transfer during his RS Freshman season. He was a great representative for RU both on and off the court, and I selfishly hope in the end, he somehow decides to come back to RU. Regardless, best of luck to this great young man, whose name I expect to hear for doing great things outside of basketball some day!

Myles was a solid player and very important part of this year tourney team that made it for the first time in 30 years and we are all thankful for his contributions. But are you really going to call him a all time Rutgers great just for playing major mins on this team. That is pathetic and extremely disrespectful to actual greats in this programs history which lasts longer then the past 30 years. Geo has earned legend status 100% but are we really going to say that for every player in the rotation on this years team give me a break
We have made the tournament the last 2 years. Myles easily was MVP last year and probably co MVP with Jacob this year (I still would give it to him this year by a smaller margin)

that makes him a legend in my mind

I didn’t say anything was Pikes fault just that he hasn’t had success. Let’s not pretend like this isn’t happening. There’s a track record now.

Anyway like I said Cliff will replace Myles fine

the problem is you do not know who he re-recruited and stayed. You only know the people who left. It would seem the theee guys who left Eugene, Corey and Myles all made up their minds. Hell Myles was telling the world he got into all the grad schools he applied too. Eugene I believe was a wuss and was mot in town when he did it.

RU’s engineering programs usually take 5 years to graduate.
That's not true and while some folks take more time to complete the degree, there's nothing I've ever heard or read that suggests it usually takes 5 years to graduate. The undergrad engineering programs are all 4-year programs that are quite rigorous, particularly ChemE, EE, and ME, but they're all quite doable in four years. Being a student athlete certainly makes it more challenging to juggle the academic workload, so all credit to Myles for finishing up in the prescribed time.

What is our core? From the day Baker returned from injury, Baker/Young/Johnson have accounted for 43.4% of our minutes. I'd say the three of them were a pretty decent chunk of our "core".

Assuming the seniors all leave, the minutes we have returning from this year are:
863 - Harper
763 - Mulcahy
593 - Mathis
457 - McConnell
343 - Omoruyi
76 - Reiber
70 - Mag
60 - Palmquist
11 - Jones
0 - Miller

Our season will largely live or die on who we can plug into this rotation from the transfer market.

I disagree. Our season will live or die on whether Oskar, mag,and jaden are ready to play. Ron, Paul, Caleb, Cliff, and Montez all started at times this year. There is no reason why this cot of upper class men can’t step up and get better getting breathers from the first 3 mentioned.

Who are the other people that it's being vaguely insinuated are transferring? Does something bad happen to you if you just type a name?

I think it's crazy how some people have zero trust in our coaching staff to develop Cliff. He got better every game during the season and has a natural athletic ability that Myles just doesn't have. He reminds me a lot of Mitchell Robinson on the Knicks. When it comes to Myles offensive production at the end of the day he wasn't a big man we could throw the ball to in the post and expect him to be able to get a bucket plain and simple. Myles had 14 combined points in the 3 biggest games of the year, we badly need more offensive production down low whether it be Cliff, Harrar or someone else

Totally agree. My favorite part of college sports is watching kids develop, and they usually make the biggest jump between frosh and soph year. I can't wait to see the jump Cliff makes. He's going to be a monster on both ends of the court by junior year.

Now you're just changing the subject. You said he was awful offensively, and now you're on about Cliff and development.

Take your trolling elsewhere.

Who are the other people that it's being vaguely insinuated are transferring? Does something bad happen to you if you just type a name?

some new names not usually discussed as transfer candidates but apparently it’s BS

What I also don’t get is why geo and others say “we made history” everything the team has done this year has already been done. Great season but it was history. Unless you mean big 10 only which doesn’t really make sense

Reactions: RUsojo
Supposedly this Myles quote:

“I've thought about the idea of leaving but I'm still thinking about the possibility of staying here,” he said. “I've been accepted into Rutgers already so it's definitely an option. I've been here the whole time so it's always on the table. If I were to leave, the Pac-12 is by my house with good engineering schools, so those would be the top locations. I was looking at UCLA, Stanford, and USC, which are the top engineering schools in the PAC-12 that are around me and are competitive.”

“I'm just going to need to hear those schools' pitch, what they say, what their plans are, how I would be implicated into the team, and if I just like the coach and stuff like that. I don't know the situation with visits, so it's all up in the air.”

Is post entering the portal? So it sounds like he's not 100% to leave?

I mean - Geo tweeted - “love you bro, we made history together”. He must know what’s going down.

It would be silly to completely shut the door but if he likes a school out there it sure seems like he’s going to move back home. He did the right thing notifying early so Pike has time to prepare. I think with Covid it must be harder than ever being a flight away from home.

Reactions: Greg2020
We have made the tournament the last 2 years. Myles easily was MVP last year and probably co MVP with Jacob this year (I still would give it to him this year by a smaller margin)

that makes him a legend in my mind

He also finished 8th in career blocks (after 3 years, one of them truncated... and everyone ahead of him played 4). He's easily the best center we've seen in a decade, since N'Diaye was here, and had a much better junior year than Hamady did - and you have to go back many many years to find a center as good as he was in just his 3rd year on the collegiate court. I would have expected big things from him next year, and the idea of "legend" wouldn't have even been a question. With another year, he'd have been pushing for Top 3 in career rebounds, too, just behind Sellers and Bailey.

Not to mention the strength of his character, his academic successes, his foundation - all definitely contributes to his overall legacy.

I just wish we'd have been able to see him reach his peak, which I still think is ahead of him.

I know this seems final, but there's nothing saying that a player won't end up returning after testing the transfer portal waters. If UCLA, USC, and Stanford want him to focus more on athletics than academics, or feel that a graduate engineering program would demand too much of his time... the door to the RAC will still be open for him.

What I also don’t get is why geo and others say “we made history” everything the team has done this year has already been done. Great season but it was history. Unless you mean big 10 only which doesn’t really make sense
Maybe not meant to be taken literally in the context of the basketball program over its entirety. Making the dance after the 30-year spell could be considered "history-making" in its own way in terms of snapping a long streak that hung like a cloud over the program.

Last year they also finished with an above .500 conference record at 11-9, which was first time in a long while. Waters' best conference record in the Big East was 8-8 and then I think it goes back to one of the Atlantic 10 years under Wenzel (probably that 90-91 NCAA season). So they potentially snapped that streak after 29 years.

Wow. People are really underestimating Johnson’s value when he was on the court. He changed team’s game plans when he was lurking defensively in the paint. He’s actually the only guy that i felt was imperative to return. Guards are way easier to replace. I think we would have won half as many games this year if we didn’t have Johnson....and there is no way Cliff will be ready to replace him next year. Unless pike can pull a couple of rabbits out of his hat, I think we may be in for a significant step back next year.

Wow. People are really underestimating Johnson’s value when he was on the court. He changed team’s game plans when he was lurking defensively in the paint. He’s actually the only guy that i felt was imperative to return. Guards are way easier to replace. I think we would have won half as many games this year if we didn’t have Johnson....and there is no way Cliff will be ready to replace him next year. Unless pike can pull a couple of rabbits out of his hat, I think we may be in for a significant step back next year.
Players develop. Cliff will be much better next year. And he wasn’t bad this year. He just wasn’t expected to do much. Myles was a monster o the defensive end. Cliff will be better when it’s all said and done. He’s far more athletic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT