ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Myles Johnson is in the transfer portal

USC is the one to watch IMO. C about to be a lottery pick and from why I can tell they don’t have a viable replacement. Think Stanford probably second most likely although UCLA under Cronin would be a better basketball fit.

Either way I think Cliff plus Harrar would be solid in replacing him.
Didn’t he say he already applied to a few other schools? I don’t think it’s as much of what top PAC 12 programs want him. It’s more what schools he applied to want him. He seems to know where he wants to get his graduate degree. That’s why I heard a lot of Stanford and Cal rumors.

Time for cliff to take a big step up. Thanks to Myles for being an outstanding representative of rutgers. Enjoyed watching him develop into a force!! Good luck to the young man.
I have zero faith in our current staff of guards coaching up our big men. That seemed to be jay young's specialty. i think most of the big steps forward johnson took were because of young.

Reactions: ricdrul
I have zero faith in our current staff of guards coaching up our big men. That seemed to be jay young's specialty. i think most of the big steps forward johnson took were because of young.

why? You don’t think Karl Hobbs has been around college basketball enough to know how to develop players?

Last edited:
Pike has not really re-recruited his own players with much success so I was not anticipating anyone with eligibility coming back.

Cliff will replace Myles no problem next year so I’m not too bothered by this at all. As long as Myles doesn’t go somewhere stupid which there is no reason to believe he would.
No problem?? Hmm. Well don’t be too sure. Got a lot to learn still

somewhat agree with you on this. Myles was basically a zero on offense whether it was feeding to the post or as a decoy. Cliff has the offensive skills but is going to need to bulk up. I am very interested in seeing his progression. Its the rebounding that I am worried about but RU can land a Harrar and now that becomes easier with Myles gone. We can offer plenty of playing time for a big. Pike has to start recruiting another big guy that is for sure.
You are so so wrong here. If Harrar is the replacement we are doomed. He was that good defensively.

Pike has not really re-recruited his own players with much success so I was not anticipating anyone with eligibility coming back.
Dude, you're lost. What an absurd statement. Unlike just about every other program in the country of the past decade, Pikiell has had very little attrition of contributors. In 5 years, Omoruyi is the only one that had any impact that transferred. Find me one other program in the country that can say that.

Last edited:
Best of luck to Miles, he has represented RU well. He is everything a student athlete should be.
There is not a basketball school in the country that would not take this young man. I would think there are several coaches at schools that do not have graduate engineering programs who are asking their presidents to start one so that they can offer Miles Johnson a scholarship.

I guess you’ve watched practice?

Myles owes us nothing. We redshirted him and even Pike admits he could have played that year. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Two quick things:
1. One poster in particular who is known at this board belittled folks who felt that Myles might go elsewhere. So, that.
2. We are in deep doo doo unless Cliff takes a big leap next year and we find some gems in the transfer portal.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Didn’t he say he already applied to a few other schools? I don’t think it’s as much of what top PAC 12 programs want him. It’s more what schools he applied to want him. He seems to know where he wants to get his graduate degree. That’s why I heard a lot of Stanford and Cal rumors.
No one can question a transfer to either of those schools. I'd add UCLA to that list as well.

This must be the first (potential - please stay, Myles!) transfer of a good player in the history of college athletics that everyone is disappointed about but has zero animosity about. If that doesn't say how much respect he has earned in such a short time I don't know what can.

Myles owes us nothing. We redshirted him and even Pike admits he could have played that year. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Two quick things:
1. One poster in particular who is known at this board belittled folks who felt that Myles might go elsewhere. So, that.
2. We are in deep doo doo unless Cliff takes a big leap next year and we find some gems in the transfer portal.
If we want to keep Jersey kids home that come from major
programs we have to demonstrate the following : 'If you stay
you will play' Cliff has to play

Reactions: OJRutgers
I’ll admit that I often found myself frustrated by Myles probably more than I should have been. The early foul trouble wasn’t all his fault but it was constant concern. And he disappeared in a bunch of games, and looked disinterested in others.

I am super proud of him, and believe he’ll do great things in life. As a basketball player, though, he reached his ceiling. Cliff is just scratching the surface. Get a defensive guy in the portal and move forward.

I’ll admit that I often found myself frustrated by Myles probably more than I should have been. The early foul trouble wasn’t all his fault but it was constant concern. And he disappeared in a bunch of games, and looked disinterested in others.

I am super proud of him, and believe he’ll do great things in life. As a basketball player, though, he reached his ceiling. Cliff is just scratching the surface. Get a defensive guy in the portal and move forward.

it kind of funny I forgot about the early foul trouble since he was better over last couple games but he was in constant foul trouble and had trouble maki g layups....

Reactions: bac2therac
You take Young and Myles away from us defensively and we aren’t a good defensive team. We all know we are a bad offensive team

Thank goodness for the portal. I am expecting a 4-5 win B1G season. Cliff is the key to do what Myles did when Eugene left.

Contradictions all in this post

Reactions: cm_13
You take Young and Myles away from us defensively and we aren’t a good defensive team. We all know we are a bad offensive team

Thank goodness for the portal. I am expecting a 4-5 win B1G season. Cliff is the key to do what Myles did when Eugene left.
McConnell and Mathis are outstanding defensive players. Which is why Pike puts up with their shenanigans on offense

Reactions: IL Lusciato

Nah I don’t think so. We play team defense. Cliff will step up. I trust pike here. My concern is rebounding but maybe knowing myles isn’t there helps us rebound as a team because overall our rebounding wasn’t great this year.

Reactions: Pancho1939
Wish Myles the best going forward. He was one of the pillars in the current revival of Rutgers basketball. Need some real growth from Cliff and another big who can rebound from the portal. I wonder if this factors into whether Duke comes back? Probably not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT