ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Johnson Much Improved Free Throw Shooting

ive been told expect somewhere around 63-65% from the line for him this year. Still not great but much better than his 40.5% from last year. Heard hes worked very hard on his form this off-season

I would sign up for even 60% right now. So I hope your sources are right.

Myles is too skilled to keep shooting that poorly from the line. I'd love to see 60+ and think it is definitely attainable

Good to hear. Johnson and Mathis are the two that need to improve the most at the FT line.

Yeboah is near 80% in his career, McConnell was there last year, Baker should be good for 75%, Harper was above 70% after the first three games, Young should be around 70%, Carter was 71% last year, and Kiss doesn't get fouled enough for it to matter (though his 58% was secretly terrible for a guy who's supposed to be a shooter)

Good to hear. Johnson and Mathis are the two that need to improve the most at the FT line.

Yeboah is near 80% in his career, McConnell was there last year, Baker should be good for 75%, Harper was above 70% after the first three games, Young should be around 70%, Carter was 71% last year, and Kiss doesn't get fouled enough for it to matter (though his 58% was secretly terrible for a guy who's supposed to be a shooter)
I'm not anticipating see kiss much at all. He just doesn't fit in with the talent we have on this team. Any minute he plays in a minute that we're best served with someone else playing.

Reactions: AD888
I'm not anticipating see kiss much at all. He just doesn't fit in with the talent we have on this team. Any minute he plays in a minute that we're best served with someone else playing.
I wouldn't go that far. Kiss has been known to play with an "attitude." There will be games when that attitude will be needed. We haven't seen the last of PK.

ive been told expect somewhere around 63-65% from the line for him this year. Still not great but much better than his 40.5% from last year. Heard hes worked very hard on his form this off-season
25% jump in one year. Believe it when I see it.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I can't see 60-65% for Myles...you have to simulate game situation and shooting that percentage when you are fatigued after 2 to 3 minutes of game spurts or after 18 to 20 minutes of play in the 2nd half of games is when these percentages come into play.

I think Mathis increased his minutes into January and led the team in scoring a couple of times, but the freshman wall kinda hit and his FT shooting is probably fatigue and confidence based as well.

I think the end of game with a lead lineup will be Yeboah, Baker, Caleb, Jacob young and perhaps Shaq Carter....if Myles can get to 60%, I would take it...

Ehh, hes a fake attitude guy. Hes the type of guy where teammates dont get pumped up from what hes doing but rather are like WTF are you doing bro? I cant see how he earns minutes over anyone
Wow, not cool.
Any other insight on what’s going on? Doucoure insight would be good..

That would be a real tough jump in percentage, especially for a big man. Anything over 50% would be good.

Ehh, hes a fake attitude guy. Hes the type of guy where teammates dont get pumped up from what hes doing but rather are like WTF are you doing bro? I cant see how he earns minutes over anyone

This made me laugh, because it is totally true and reminds me of people I’ve played with...

Wow, not cool.
Any other insight on what’s going on? Doucoure insight would be good..
Don't get me wrong he's one of the most popular guys on the team, the other guys love him. I'm just telling you his style on the court. He's a very emotional player but not in a good way. Some guys are emotional by physically dominating the game, or play with super high energy. Kiss is just doing stupid shit like pulling guys shirts out of their shorts, talking shit when you're not good (nothing worse than that) and just in general not playing with his head.

What was it the Indiana game where Eugene and the guys had to grab him and save him from getting a T after he borderline threw and elbow trying to clear a defender after previously he got it stolen from him? I just don't see where he fits in

Don't get me wrong he's one of the most popular guys on the team, the other guys love him. I'm just telling you his style on the court. He's a very emotional player but not in a good way. Some guys are emotional by physically dominating the game, or play with super high energy. Kiss is just doing stupid shit like pulling guys shirts out of their shorts, talking shit when you're not good (nothing worse than that) and just in general not playing with his head.

What was it the Indiana game where Eugene and the guys had to grab him and save him from getting a T after he borderline threw and elbow trying to clear a defender after previously he got it stolen from him? I just don't see where he fits in
Eh I like Kiss's attitude. But I agree, can't see him fitting in unless he starts shooting 40% from 3.

Things Kiss needs to work on offensively to get some minutes.

1. Shoot a better 3 point percentage
2. Use that 40" vert for something other than fake alley oops
3. Ball handling

Reactions: higgins3
Things Kiss needs to work on offensively to get some minutes.

1. Shoot a better 3 point percentage
2. Use that 40" vert for something other than fake alley oops
3. Ball handling
All he needs to do is play better defense. This is a Steve Pikiell team after all.

I can't see 60-65% for Myles...you have to simulate game situation and shooting that percentage when you are fatigued after 2 to 3 minutes of game spurts or after 18 to 20 minutes of play in the 2nd half of games is when these percentages come into play.

I think Mathis increased his minutes into January and led the team in scoring a couple of times, but the freshman wall kinda hit and his FT shooting is probably fatigue and confidence based as well.

I think the end of game with a lead lineup will be Yeboah, Baker, Caleb, Jacob young and perhaps Shaq Carter....if Myles can get to 60%, I would take it...
Don't forget crowd noise and shooting under pressure conditions will affect his percentage. My sources say kyk shoots around 95% from the FT line when he's by himself. :Wink:

Last edited:
I remember my old HS coach had everyone on team shoot foul shots after practice was over. If you made 10 in a row he would buy you a milkshake. Of course back then milkshakes were about 25 cents

Speaking of foul shooting I can remember RU coming out for pre game and halftime warmups and guys would go to foul line and shoot foul shots. Don’t see that anymore. Anyone have thoughts on why we don’t see more of this

I was surprised to see Mathis free throw numbers so low. Geo Baker has a lot more volume, but it is McConnel with highest 3pt percentage.

Reactions: Scarlet83
This made me laugh, because it is totally true and reminds me of people I’ve played with...
I will say this... I wasn't hard on Kiss's disappearances, but he DID indeed go overboard with his antics...lol. I would have to agree with Kyk here, just not with the same words. Kiss, stop being a clown because you got fast break dunk or ONE 3 pointer...lol. Now, drop 30 and you can do all the antics you want...lol.

You just described Ash.

Reactions: RU_DIO
A 20% jump in made FTs should be doable for Myles. If he takes 5 FTs per game then instead of making 2 of 5 he’ll be making 3 of 5.

I was surprised to see Mathis free throw numbers so low. Geo Baker has a lot more volume, but it is McConnel with highest 3pt percentage.

Caleb had the best 3pt and the best FT percentages, I believe. The kid can shoot. I believe he is going to have an really impressive season on a team where a lot of players’ games are ascending.

Like Aaron Boone

A 20% jump in made FTs should be doable for Myles. If he takes 5 FTs per game then instead of making 2 of 5 he’ll be making 3 of 5.

That's where percentages can be a little tricky.....and why an uptick to 55% or 60% would be huge but it really only matters if Myles gets more touches and gets fouled more.

He only had 42 total attempts.....maybe some of those were 1 & 1's, where if you miss the 1st, you don't get the 2nd.

It only takes 4 more makes last year and he goes from 40.4 to 50%.....he would have to go from 17 out of 42 to 25 or 26 out of 42 to get to 60%.

While that may mean more 1 & 1s completed, it comes down to touches and we need the players that are going to play with the ball in their hands more, to improve.

Montez Mathis was 55 out of 99 for 56% from FT. If Mathis is going to sustain the 25 to 28 full speed minutes where he can impact the game on defense and have the legs to attack the rim ans basket, it's his FT shooting and Jacob Young and his FT shooting, that we need to focus on more.

I am all for Myles Johnson making huge strides in Year 3 of the program and his redshirting is a huge boon for the program development.

But if you got Mathis up to 67 to 70% and his FT attempts go from 99 to 140-150 ( 5 attempts per game), if he can hit 7 out of 10 every 2 games, it huge....

Jacob Young has not been used at Texas as a player to draw contact or drive. He should be 70 to 75% from the line and should get 100+ FTS this year.

I am not worried about Yeboah....he's solid from the line.

Reactions: RUChoppin
That's where percentages can be a little tricky.....and why an uptick to 55% or 60% would be huge but it really only matters if Myles gets more touches and gets fouled more.

He only had 42 total attempts.....maybe some of those were 1 & 1's, where if you miss the 1st, you don't get the 2nd.

It only takes 4 more makes last year and he goes from 40.4 to 50%.....he would have to go from 17 out of 42 to 25 or 26 out of 42 to get to 60%.

While that may mean more 1 & 1s completed, it comes down to touches and we need the players that are going to play with the ball in their hands more, to improve.

Montez Mathis was 55 out of 99 for 56% from FT. If Mathis is going to sustain the 25 to 28 full speed minutes where he can impact the game on defense and have the legs to attack the rim ans basket, it's his FT shooting and Jacob Young and his FT shooting, that we need to focus on more.

I am all for Myles Johnson making huge strides in Year 3 of the program and his redshirting is a huge boon for the program development.

But if you got Mathis up to 67 to 70% and his FT attempts go from 99 to 140-150 ( 5 attempts per game), if he can hit 7 out of 10 every 2 games, it huge....

Jacob Young has not been used at Texas as a player to draw contact or drive. He should be 70 to 75% from the line and should get 100+ FTS this year.

I am not worried about Yeboah....he's solid from the line.

I've seen a couple people say that Young should be 70%+ from the line - is there somewhere that's coming from? He really hasn't shot enough FTs in college to get a sense of his true percentage (only 36 attempts over 2 years).

Caleb had the best 3pt and the best FT percentages, I believe. The kid can shoot. I believe he is going to have an really impressive season on a team where a lot of players’ games are ascending.
This...He showed last year he can shoot it on catch and shoots and also on a nice dribble pull up (usually from left side). I've said this before but if he can get a go to move to create space (maybe Geo can teach him that stepback) and use his length to attack the paint more I really believe he can become the best of the Freshman Four.
Even though I do believe Harper is most likely still the better player, McConnell has all the tools (Length, Shooting, Defense, Handles) to be an absolute nightmare matchup for teams. This is crazy to think about because the first 10 games or so for him last year looked like he wasn't even a D1 player and by Big 10 play he was out best player on the court for some games. Pike has proven that guys get better under him and I can't wait to see the growth of a guy like McConnell.

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT