ADVERTISEMENT

New 100,000 Square Ft Business School Site Picked

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
New 100,000 square foot Business School building in Camden will be a block from the huge new Nursing and Science Building. Information in article below--

By Jen A. Miller GSC’04

When Michael Williams started his internship at a Big Four accounting firm in Philadelphia, he already knew how to use a Bloomberg terminal featuring real-time stock market data used by professional Wall Street traders. A rising senior in the Rutgers School of Business–Camden, he’d been introduced to it years before in his first semester and had sharpened his skills in the school’s Financial Markets Lab and Center for Investment Management.

Jen. A. Miller is a widely published writer and the author of three books who holds an M.A. in English from Rutgers–Camden.

This is part of the effort to build a corridor connecting Rutgers-Camden and Cooper Hospital, where Rowan's medical school is. This would be the second building in that corridor, which is intended to take up large parts of Camden's downtown.

Fifth and Market, the site of the building, is in Camden's downtown, but has few businesses. It is the location of Camden's City Hall subway stop, which connects to center city Philadelphia and to New Jersey suburbs such as Collingswood, Haddonfield, and Cherry Hill, with the termination point in Lindenwold, just beyond Cherry Hill.

Perhaps with an increasing critical mass of students in the area with this new facility as well as the Nursing building a block away, it might spur some businesses to consider locating in the immediate vicinity.

Perhaps with an increasing critical mass of students in the area with this new facility as well as the Nursing building a block away, it might spur some businesses to consider locating in the immediate vicinity.

There still aren't enough students, and there aren't enough summer customers yet. I've seen restaurant after restaurant open with high expectations in the fall and then die the next summer.

Reactions: RUnTeX
This is part of the effort to build a corridor connecting Rutgers-Camden and Cooper Hospital, where Rowan's medical school is. This would be the second building in that corridor, which is intended to take up large parts of Camden's downtown.
Norcross connecting everything piece by piece. FYI, having a separate business school at Camden is a complete waste for RU.

There is no way that South Jerseyans who want to go to business school in the evening can do that by going to NB/Newark. So the Camden Business School is filling a niche that is not otherwise served. There is to date no evidence that the Camden school is affecting the reputation of NB/Newark's because the two schools serve very different clientels.

Reactions: RUnTeX
There is no way that South Jerseyans who want to go to business school in the evening can do that by going to NB/Newark. So the Camden Business School is filling a niche that is not otherwise served. There is to date no evidence that the Camden school is affecting the reputation of NB/Newark's because the two schools serve very different clientels.
Honestly, I continue to be fine with giving RU Camden to Rowan. RU should focus on the flagship campus and Newark.

RU should have one and only one business school. Having two dilutes the value and reputation, see law school history.

I don't see the situation as parallel to the law school. The problem for many in that case was that the NB/Pisc flagship campus lacked its own law school, not necessarily that the Camden and Newark campuses had their own.

The other difference is that the business schools also have an undergrad component whereas law school is strictly a graduate school. As clp stated, you have a campus in Camden that potentially serves a local geography (southern NJ) for which it makes sense to provide access to undergraduate business education.

If you have a multi-campus institution, there's no reason one or more campuses can't have duplicative schools, especially if at least the flagship campus has one (conceivably this would be the more highly reputable, higher profile one so it's not likely to be misconstrued for a parallel school on one of the branch campuses).

If history was different and we had our druthers I suppose, it would make more sense that NB and Newark not have a shared business school. One could argue brand dilution in that case, even if it makes sense for other reasons.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Honestly, I continue to be fine with giving RU Camden to Rowan. RU should focus on the flagship campus and Newark.

Camden gives Rutgers six thousand seats (soon to be eight thousand seats) worth of revenue. Those seats help enable Rutgers to handle an excess of students who want to go to NB. Would you really want those students contributing instead to Rowan's coffers? That would be really stupid, it seems to me. Remember a golden rule: whatever is good for Rowan is likely to be bad for Rutgers.

I don't see the situation as parallel to the law school. The problem for many in that case was that the NB/Pisc flagship campus lacked its own law school, not necessarily that the Camden and Newark campuses had their own.

The other difference is that the business schools also have an undergrad component whereas law school is strictly a graduate school. As clp stated, you have a campus in Camden that potentially serves a local geography (southern NJ) for which it makes sense to provide access to undergraduate business education.

If you have a multi-campus institution, there's no reason one or more campuses can't have duplicative schools, especially if at least the flagship campus has one (conceivably this would be the more highly reputable, higher profile one so it's not likely to be misconstrued for a parallel school on one of the branch campuses).

If history was different and we had our druthers I suppose, it would make more sense that NB and Newark not have a shared business school. One could argue brand dilution in that case, even if it makes sense for other reasons.
It seems like other states better manage their satellite university systems. Rutgers should be NB, without confusion. The 2 satellite campuses need their own identities. People don't get confused between UCLA and Cal-Berkeley or Cal-Irvine.....or in NC or many other examples.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
It seems like other states better manage their satellite university systems. Rutgers should be NB, without confusion. The 2 satellite campuses need their own identities. People don't get confused between UCLA and Cal-Berkeley or Cal-Irvine.....or in NC or many other examples.

I don't disagree. I would say some do better to market the flagship, or have had the fortune to leverage their marketing efforts (e.g. through athletic accomplishments and national visibility).

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Do you *really* think that people confuse Rutgers in New Brunswick with Rutgers in Camden? I never heard that one before. And that is going on, there's a very simple cure: call the campus in New Brunswick "Rutgers New Brunswick" just as UCLA and Cal have directional names (for all non-athletic purposes, Cal is "the University of California -Berkeley.")

Do you *really* think that people confuse Rutgers in New Brunswick with Rutgers in Camden? I never heard that one before. And that is going on, there's a very simple cure: call the campus in New Brunswick "Rutgers New Brunswick" just as UCLA and Cal have directional names (for all non-athletic purposes, Cal is "the University of California -Berkeley.")
Yes, absolutely. Practically everyone outside of NJ and many from NJ.

I think it's anecdotal (and we who are well informed tend to take it as an indication of some broader far-reaching confusion) when you have a random outsider not from the area who doesn't know much about Rutgers and happens to talk to his or her uncle/friend/colleague/cleaning lady/neighbor/whomever who made some throw away comment that he/she saw a Rutgers sign coming across the BF bridge, and without further understanding or research may come away with the thought of..."Oh, that must be where Rutgers' main campus is." Similar type of thing with Newark. This does happen occasionally but it's probably not as frequent as some of us who know what the deal is might think, just that it's something we get unnecessarily sensitive to. Even less frequently, but still possible, is when it's actually locals who are just so ill-informed about stuff in their own backyard (NJ is obviously not that large of a state so you'd think this wouldn't happen as much). In these instances, we're probably more willing to believe that this confusion must be more widespread if "the guy who lives around the corner from me" doesn't realize where the main campus is located.

So @T2Kplus10 has a point to a degree that Rutgers is sometimes confused, and it doesn't even need 5 or 10 regional campuses to do so, just a measly 3. For the most part, perhaps more deliberately these days, I don't think it's uncommon to refer to the main campus as Rutgers-New Brunswick even if Rutgers alone will do. I definitely believe this has been the case moreso with the two branches referred to as Rutgers-Newark and Rutgers-Camden, which is maybe all you really need if one is looking for validation of the flagship. While general references to Rutgers could imply any of the three, it's not always going to provide specific campus recognition.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10
I think it's anecdotal (and we who are well informed tend to take it as an indication of some broader far-reaching confusion) when you have a random outsider not from the area who doesn't know much about Rutgers and happens to talk to his or her uncle/friend/colleague/cleaning lady/neighbor/whomever who made some throw away comment that he/she saw a Rutgers sign coming across the BF bridge, and without further understanding or research may come away with the thought of..."Oh, that must be where Rutgers' main campus is." Similar type of thing with Newark. This does happen occasionally but it's probably not as frequent as some of us who know what the deal is might think, just that it's something we get unnecessarily sensitive to. Even less frequently, but still possible, is when it's actually locals who are just so ill-informed about stuff in their own backyard (NJ is obviously not that large of a state so you'd think this wouldn't happen as much). In these instances, we're probably more willing to believe that this confusion must be more widespread if "the guy who lives around the corner from me" doesn't realize where the main campus is located.

So @T2Kplus10 has a point to a degree that Rutgers is sometimes confused, and it doesn't even need 5 or 10 regional campuses to do so, just a measly 3. For the most part, perhaps more deliberately these days, I don't think it's uncommon to refer to the main campus as Rutgers-New Brunswick even if Rutgers alone will do. I definitely believe this has been the case moreso with the two branches referred to as Rutgers-Newark and Rutgers-Camden, which is maybe all you really need if one is looking for validation of the flagship. While general references to Rutgers could imply any of the three, it's not always going to provide specific campus recognition.

It's actually the other way around. Many people in South Jersey have the impression that Rutgers-Camden is a two-year program that feeds students to NB for their upper two years. Indeed, this is how Rutgers-Camden worked until 1954, but the impression is still there, partly because this is still true true for engineering; Camden has no four-year engineering program. And if NB is truly concerned about this, it can start emphasizing the New Brunswick name just as UC Berkeley emphasizes the Berkeley name. This can be done without altering the sports identity of the campus. Berkeley is known as California in sports even though there are other campuses (notably UCLA) with sports teams. The same is true in Texas. Academics in Austin refer to their school as the University of Texas at Austin, but Texas is still the name of the sports teams at Austin. I think the two of you are way off-base.

It's actually the other way around. Many people in South Jersey have the impression that Rutgers-Camden is a two-year program that feeds students to NB for their upper two years.

Thanks for that observation as that's not something I've ever really heard before. Makes me think that it might even be an offshoot of the Penn State influence in southern NJ, since several of its satellite campuses function like the lower-division setup you describe. I find that people at large tend to think most state universities and/or systems are set up similarly when that's not the case.

Obviously I'm well aware that both Camden and Newark have 2+2 pre-engineering programs in conjunction with NB, where the only engineering school is based. If it ever made sense to invest in and build up engineering facilities and separate schools with multiple disciplines at either Newark or Camden, I'd say have at it. Because in that sense, I'm probably more of a proponent of a system structure in raising the overall profile of institution(s) compared to Rutgers' setup.

This can be done without altering the sports identity of the campus.

From my vantage point, I don't think sports identity is an issue or at least it shouldn't be. There is little to no visibility for the D3 programs at Newark and Camden. It should actually be easier in the athletics realm for NB's D1 sports to be marketed statewide without confusion from the other two campuses (with little to no marketing budgets, comparatively). A better example than the UC or UT systems is the U of Michigan, where it is difficult to fathom either Dearborn or Flint ever overshadowing Ann Arbor athletically because those two campuses participate at a lower level and only the flagship has D1 sports. I think we all recognize that they don't need to emphasize Ann Arbor for Michigan's sports teams.

Academics in Austin refer to their school as the University of Texas at Austin, but Texas is still the name of the sports teams at Austin.

I'm not arguing any differently regarding the Rutgers scenario, since as I said above I don't think it's an issue on the athletics side. Only the NB sports teams brand their athletic uniforms with just RUTGERS, while the other two identify as Rutgers-Newark and Rutgers-Camden AFAIK. Also, the three mascots are obviously not the same, except for sharing "Scarlet" as the first word of their respective monikers.

You live in a RU bubble.

What the hell is that intended to mean? You say something stupid like that because you make claims that you can't back up. I've put up with you long ago; you're going on ignore. You haven't had an intelligent thing to say on any topic whatsoever, sports or nonsports.

It's actually the other way around. Many people in South Jersey have the impression that Rutgers-Camden is a two-year program that feeds students to NB for their upper two years. Indeed, this is how Rutgers-Camden worked until 1954, but the impression is still there, partly because this is still true true for engineering; Camden has no four-year engineering program. And if NB is truly concerned about this, it can start emphasizing the New Brunswick name just as UC Berkeley emphasizes the Berkeley name. This can be done without altering the sports identity of the campus. Berkeley is known as California in sports even though there are other campuses (notably UCLA) with sports teams. The same is true in Texas. Academics in Austin refer to their school as the University of Texas at Austin, but Texas is still the name of the sports teams at Austin. I think the two of you are way off-base.

That’s not true at all.

You’re both off.

People don’t confuse Rutgers Camden with Rutgers New Brunswick in South Jersey. If you say you went to “Rutgers”, they may ask which campus but they don’t confuse the two.

And good thing you’re not calling the shots. Clearly you have a North Jersey bias if you would keep Newark and not Camden.

Newsflash - if Rutgers gave up Camden to Rowan you would see a drastic shift in the way funds are allocated and in increase in political meddling between Rutgers and Rowan.

You have no idea how the state politics work. No one really cares about Rutgers when it comes to the Politicians. Rowan has Norcross and Sweeney.

That’s not true at all.

You’re both off.

People don’t confuse Rutgers Camden with Rutgers New Brunswick in South Jersey. If you say you went to “Rutgers”, they may ask which campus but they don’t confuse the two.
+1
The problem is the RU name comes first and then the location. Rutgers should mean NB only, that's it.

And good thing you’re not calling the shots. Clearly you have a North Jersey bias if you would keep Newark and not Camden.

Newsflash - if Rutgers gave up Camden to Rowan you would see a drastic shift in the way funds are allocated and in increase in political meddling between Rutgers and Rowan.

You have no idea how the state politics work. No one really cares about Rutgers when it comes to the Politicians. Rowan has Norcross and Sweeney.
I was being polite regarding Newark. I would dump that campus as well, but that's harder to do since NB and Newark are more linked together.

For years,I sat behind a guy at the football games who graduated from Rutgers College in the early 50s. According to him,the only people who should consider themselves Rutgers grads are those who went to Rutgers College. Those who went to Cook,Douglass,Livingston,Camden,or Newark don't count.We wonder why the New Jersey media hates us and the every day New Jerseyan is indifferent to their own university.Here we have great news for all of Rutgers,yet a few people want to bash one third of our alumni and students.It has been a very long time since Rutgers was a tiny all male liberal arts college.Rutgers is not like any other state university. Over the years it has added existing schools in Camden,Newark,Douglass,Livingston,Busch,Cook,law schools and medical schools. We are one Rutgers.We are not like UNC Chapel Hill,Pembroke,Asheville,etc. How many other states have all their campuses within a two hour drive of each other,where programs are shared so often,and where many grads have degrees from more than one campus?We need to be finding more ways to include Newark and Camden alumni and students in our major sports such as football,basketball,and wrestling,not make them feel like the Big Ten Rutgers is not their team or their school.If a Rutgers team is playing in Piscataway,Philadelphia,Newark,or NYC ,there should be a sea of red of alumni from ALL Rutgers campuses.Unless President Barchi builds a monorail and twenty story buildings,the New Brunswick campus is not going to turn into 70000 students like UCF. Some future money and growth will go to Newark and Camden,but I don't think we are going to see Camden turn into the next UTSA.We need to get ALL of New Jersey behind Rutgers and not alienate one third of our own.Oh and that sound you just heard is Rowan building another 1000 dorms. They are not kidding around down there. They want to become New Jerseys second large state university. Stop eating our own,Rutgers people. We are ONE Rutgers !!!!

Last edited:
For years,I sat behind a guy at the football games who graduated from Rutgers College in the early 50s. According to him,the only people who should consider themselves Rutgers grads are those who went to Rutgers College. Those who went to Cook,Douglass,Livingston,Camden,or Newark don't count.We wonder why the New Jersey media hates us and the every day New Jerseyan is indifferent to their own university.Here we have great news for all of Rutgers,yet a few people want to bash one third of our alumni and students.It has been a very long time since Rutgers was a tiny all male liberal arts college.Rutgers is not like any other state university. Over the years it has added existing schools in Camden,Newark,Douglass,Livingston,Busch,Cook,law schools and medical schools. We are one Rutgers.We are not like UNC Chapel Hill,Pembroke,Asheville,etc. How many other states have all their campuses within a two hour drive of each other,where programs are shared so often,and where many grads have degrees from more than one campus?We need to be finding more ways to include Newark and Camden alumni and students in our major sports such as football,basketball,and wrestling,not make them feel like the Big Ten Rutgers is not their team or their school.If a Rutgers team is playing in Piscataway,Philadelphia,Newark,or NYC ,there should be a sea of red of alumni from ALL Rutgers campuses.Unless President Barchi builds a monorail and twenty story buildings,the New Brunswick campus is not going to turn into 70000 students like UCF. Some future money and growth will go to Newark and Camden,but I don't think we are going to see Camden turn into the next UTSA.We need to get ALL of New Jersey behind Rutgers and not alienate one third of our own.Oh and that sound you just heard is Rowan building another 1000 dorms. They are not kidding around down there. They want to become New Jerseys second large state university. Stop eating our own,Rutgers people. We are ONE Rutgers !!!!
We are not one RU and never will be. The quality of education and value of degrees across the 3 campuses are very different. Sorry, but this is true.

Reactions: virginiaru
since NB and Newark are more linked together.

Are they really though? Aside from the joint RBS structure, I'm not sure there are very many linkages at all. As I mentioned up thread, it certainly appears like a clumsy structure that might be perceived as diluted in some way. Even with the construction of the new b-school bldg in Piscataway, is the majority of the admin and the academic depts these days still housed up in Newark (due to original GSM location) or is it more down in NB/Pisc, or about evenly split?

That all said, dumping Newark (or Camden) from Rutgers, linkages or not, is a non-starter and achieves nothing while giving up some of the minimal political leverage Rutgers maintains in Trenton. You are clearly not thinking this through logically.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Are they really though? Aside from the joint RBS structure, I'm not sure there are very many linkages at all. As I mentioned up thread, it certainly appears like a clumsy structure that might be perceived as diluted in some way. Even with the construction of the new b-school bldg in Piscataway, is the majority of the admin and the academic depts these days still housed up in Newark (due to original GSM location) or is it more down in NB/Pisc, or about evenly split?

That all said, dumping Newark (or Camden) from Rutgers, linkages or not, is a non-starter and achieves nothing while giving up some of the minimal political leverage Rutgers maintains in Trenton. You are clearly not thinking this through logically.
RU should extract itself from Trenton and go fully private. I know there are hurdles to this, but honestly, that would be best for RU.

Regarding NB and NWK, also have to deal with the medical school.

+1
The problem is the RU name comes first and then the location. Rutgers should mean NB only, that's it.

This argument doesn't hold up because the confusion between campuses isn't a symptom of calling it Rutgers-xxxxxx. How is that materially different from pretty much all other examples where we perceive there is no confusion?

I think many of us tend to be too close to this perceived confusion. I bet you spend a few years living in and around parts of Michigan (really even just the southern half or say Detroit metro, for example) and find out that some locals there also wonder why there's the occasional confusion or misconstruing of reference to U of Michigan when the person doing so means either Dearborn or Flint, not Ann Arbor. You probably then have a few AA grads thinking the same thing as some RU-NB grads do in Jersey....how come those other campuses are diluting the "MICHIGAN" brand on his/her degree. We don't hear those anecdotes because it doesn't resonate at all outside a certain sphere of influence, geographically, which is almost exclusively within the state of Michigan's borders. It also helps that as the flagship UM-AA has, quite contrary to RU-NB, very successfully leveraged its opportunities both in academic circles and, of course, athletically to the point where this mostly markets itself and discussions of dilution or confusion between campuses are likely more limited in UMich's case than similar occassional/anecdotal conversations about Rutgers.

So one solution is marketing the campuses better individually. And as we all know, within that, one obvious and built-in way (including why we're all here on TKR) is that RU-NB does gain national TV exposure from football, men's hoops, etc. and B1G conference affiliation. It's just that the surface has barely been scratched in leveraging the D1 athletics opportunity (versus what might be better described so far as a squandering of the opportunity) over the past few decades including the Big East days.

Last edited:
Regarding NB and NWK, also have to deal with the medical school.

I did overlook the RBHS umbrella, which has a fairly unique structure in how it encompasses health science programs across both campuses. Though to be accurate there are two separate medical schools, NJMS and RWJMS, on the respective campuses. These are wholly standalone schools, both are named, branded, & ranked separately, they don't even share faculty, I believe, or facilities in any way. All of that makes it unlike the truly joint business school that is RBS-Nwk & NB.

It's only due to the creation of the RBHS entity at the time of the UMDNJ consolidation/merger five years ago that an umbrella administrative layer was formed above them as well as all over the other health-related schools/academic units within Rutgers.

In theory, you could probably strip that admin layer away and have a residual RBHS layer still overseeing health science and medical education in NB/Pisc as well as a separate one for Newark's health/medical programs. But that's just for a hypothetical, never-going-to-happen scenario in which @T2Kplus10 gets his wish to jettison the Newark campus.

Last edited:
Kind of hard for Camden to have a conversation when he has everyone in the thread on ignore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT