ADVERTISEMENT

New Assistant DB coach hired

Wouldn't you think Ash already has his DC hired if a Assistant DB coach has been hired? I think the DB coach is also hired. Just waiting for the bowl games to be finished before announcing?

Normally you see a DC already in place before position coaches are hired because you want the DC to have a say in who he's working with. A bit curious. Hopefully Ash isn't struggling to find a DC.

Normally you see a DC already in place before position coaches are hired because you want the DC to have a say in who he's working with. A bit curious. Hopefully Ash isn't struggling to find a DC.

Or the DC is set, coaching in a bowl and will be announced next week...

I think they have all been identified. I don't think you hire an Assistant DB Coach without a DB Coach.

It's also interesting that The Secondary is getting so much attention, with a DB Coach and an Asst. DB Coach. Add in the experience Ash has with coaching DB's and I think that area will be very very well coached and prepared.

Last four spots are DC/LB, RB Coach, DL Coach and DB Coach. I notice that there isn't a dedicated TE Coach.

Last edited:
Ash told a recruit weeks ago that the DC would probably also be the LB coach

Yep, can't have enough graduate assistants as position coaches at RU. Especially with no NJ ties, I couldn't have asked for better hires.

Focusing on coaches for their New Jersey connections has gotten us exactly nowhere as a program. It has also gotten us some pretty mediocre coaches in the process.

Why exactly are you interested in continuing this methodology that has been proven failure at Rutgers?

Instead of relying and hoping for nepotism, we are relying on the notion that great players will be able to recognize great coaches. I'm more than comfortable with that course.

I think the need for NJ ties continues to evolve and with the rise of online news and social media the focus has shifted. Maybe it will be good to have coaches with out of state ties to tell NJ coaches and kids to jump on board or we will get someone better from another state.

Reactions: StyleKnight
Focusing on coaches for their New Jersey connections has gotten us exactly nowhere as a program. It has also gotten us some pretty mediocre coaches in the process.

Why exactly are you interested in continuing this methodology that has been proven failure at Rutgers?

Instead of relying and hoping for nepotism, we are relying on the notion that great players will be able to recognize great coaches. I'm more than comfortable with that course.
You fail to realize that we may have hired the wrong coaches with NJ connections. Don't underestimate the importance of having people on your staff who are known to NJ HS coaches. They don't necessarily need to have grown up in the tri-state area but they should have recruited the area.

If you aren't familiar to some NJ coaches then you fall into the "Show Me" category: show me why I should send my kids to RU instead of PSU or Michigan. I'll tell you what, Temple has done a fantastic job of forming NJ relationships and saturating the state with their recruiting efforts.

The point is if Ash's staff isn't familiar to NJ coaches then they'll have to build those relationships. That takes time. Most people want a quick turnaround. Better to buy v. build in that case; meaning that it is better to buy a staff that is already familiar to NJ coaches.

Yeah, Wilson coaching the DB's has really been outstanding. Plus he delivered none of the big south jersey names this year or last. I'll take a shot with the grad assistant .

Reactions: drewbagel423
He's being hired as the assistant DB coach. There will be a DB coach above him.

If you aren't familiar to some NJ coaches then you fall into the "Show Me" category: show me why I should send my kids to RU instead of PSU or Michigan. I'll tell you what, Temple has done a fantastic job of forming NJ relationships and saturating the state with their recruiting efforts.

The point is if Ash's staff isn't familiar to NJ coaches then they'll have to build those relationships. That takes time. Most people want a quick turnaround. Better to buy v. build in that case; meaning that it is better to buy a staff that is already familiar to NJ coaches.
Rutgers has always been a "show me" school to NJ coaches. How long did it take GS to finally start getting some of the top 10 in NJ? And it didn't really happen until he put a winning team on the field after 5-6 years.
As to your second point, Flood's staff was full of tri-state area experience and look where that got him.
If NJ players finally start seeing some competency and success from the coaches and team, it won't matter where they're from.

I don't think there is room for an assistant DB and a DB coach on the staff. This individual would need to be a grad assistant if someone else is hired to be a db coach. It is assume the coordinators on both sides of the ball will work with one position unit as well.

we can certainly use a couple of good defensive back coaches....

O_Oturnaround_zpse1d393fa.gif

Henry will be one of the nine full-time assistant coaches. Ash will also hire another defensive backs coach, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Henry will be one of the nine full-time assistant coaches. Ash will also hire another defensive backs coach, according to a person familiar with the situation.

so....

the DC coaches DB's with henry and okruch coaches LB and we hire a full time DL coach?

or the DC coaches DB's with henry and okruch coaches DL and we hire a full time LB coach?

or the DC coaches DL or LB, okruch coaches whatever the DC doesn't coach, and we hire another full time DB coach?

That would be a GREAT hire as the DCoordinator! But, he is currently at over 3 Million with Houston. So, probably not.

That was what he made his final year as a player. He is now Houston's LB coach......and coached at OSU under Meyer from 2011-2014.

Just twitter chatter, but why not Vrabrel?

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
My guess is that if we're hiring / announcing defensive assistants then the DC is already locked down and it just hasn't been made public, yet, due to "current commitments".

Reactions: Block R
If they announce the DC now and he still working on a bowl game, most of the board would be demanding that he stop coaching for the bowl games and immediately start working for Rutgers. Ash is too smart for that to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT